Clean Eating

Replies

• JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    When I was at my highest weight (220) I ate "clean" and lost ten pounds in eleven weeks, so not bad but I was MISERABLE. I switched to eating whatever I wanted in smaller portions and lost ninety more and kept it off for five years. Over the summer I went nuts and gained a few pounds and thought I had to eat clean to lose it and I ended up gaining six more pounds (damn you Paleo and your calories don't matter nonsense) so I switched back to eating whatever I wanted only in smaller portions and am now about four pounds away from my goal weight. Do what's comfortable for you but don't expect it to be a magic cure all for weight loss, this is a forever thing. If I had to live my life without Snickers I would be one angry lady indeed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I am trying and attempting to eat healthier. I don't want to eat "convenience" foods but rather to meal plan and prep my weeks foods. I want to succeed.

I think this is great. How is it going? Are there any aspects that you struggle with or do you feel like you have it down?

For me the trick is knowing what I need to have in my refrigerator and pantry in advance, so I can get home and just whip up a meal and have the ability to turn it into a slightly different lunch to pack up also. Breakfast is easy because I mostly have the same stuff (despite all the oatmeal talk, usually revolving around a 2 egg vegetable omelet).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Leaving aside the whole "clean eating" debate, and concentrating instead on eating whole foods:

The biggest problem I find is in planning accurately. I often have to throw things out because I purchased too much variety and didn't get to it all, or my beloved whisked me away for a meal so I didn't cook what I had planned. Some things can be frozen, if I remember, but for this reason I try to always have a range of fresh and frozen veggies, and I often make extra servings of anything I cook so I can freeze it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Leaving aside the whole "clean eating" debate, and concentrating instead on eating whole foods:

The biggest problem I find is in planning accurately. I often have to throw things out because I purchased too much variety and didn't get to it all, or my beloved whisked me away for a meal so I didn't cook what I had planned. Some things can be frozen, if I remember, but for this reason I try to always have a range of fresh and frozen veggies, and I often make extra servings of anything I cook so I can freeze it.

if you freeze it and then reheat it, it is processed = bad ….< sarcasm…lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

so it is a preference and has no bearing on health or weight loss, as to which one, one eats...
    Wouldn't "more nutrient dense" possibly relate to health?

But as I pointed out with reference to specific products, it's not necessarily true. Instant doesn't mean "more salt and sugar" and some brands of instant have more protein and fiber than some brands of steel cut regular. And even between the best one I've found and my instant the difference is pretty slight.

I like the regular better and certainly don't think there's anything wrong with preferring it (I do, after all), but the idea that instant is inherently bad (unclean, even) and to be eliminated seems more superstition than anything else.

Anyway, it's all processed.
    I didn't refer to any of that. Simply to the notion that being more nutrient dense may relate to health.
  • SnuggleSmacks

:# But it's different if I process it myself as opposed to some amorphous devil food company processing it with addictive substances and bug legs and stuff...right?

• ndj1979

:# But it's different if I process it myself as opposed to some amorphous devil food company processing it with addictive substances and bug legs and stuff...right?

yes, of course..

processed by you = good; processed by food company = evil….
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Here we are on page seven of the dog pile. OP: Again, good for you for trying to eat more healthy foods. You're on the right track! Now, keep a deficit to lose weight and you'll be awesome.
  • Leaving aside the whole "clean eating" debate, and concentrating instead on eating whole foods:

I have not yet figured out how to add a photo otherwise I. Would show you my Sunday prep for the week, but I also prep for my kids lunches as well. I work mon-fri 7am so this saves me a lot of time and ensures I do not reach for convince.

This week for lunches i made:
    individual lasagna cups (no noodles)but organic wontons for the up holders then my homemade spaghetti sauce with ricotta cheese and kale.
    Individual quiches with cheese and spinache
    Chick pea salad with veggies
    For Breakfast I made oatmeal but it's what I like.
    Then I have individual cups of veggies and fruit and 0% plain Greek yogurts for snacks.
    For dinner I bought a few different cuts of chickens and pork chops, i froze them in meal sized portions i also bought some squash and other sides to have with dinner v

I don't want to reach for whatever but have the positive choices as my convience foods.

I drink coffee and tea but my green tea I have always drank black and my coffee I do not take sugar and cream makes my stomached upset so garnish ,y caffine a low fat milk.

I do not drink pop at all, never really have since I quit smoking 4 years ago. But that was a home life decision I made for my kids, to not have pop in the house.

I among good at buying, and I do not like to throw out food but I am lucky because my husband is a chef and is very good at the meal planning.

It is far more cost effective for me, shopping for a family, to buy groceries with this thought process as well.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    LettingTheSmallStuffGo Posts: 72 Member
    edited November 2014
    I have irritable bowel syndrome and I have to eat as least of processed food at possible which works out to a moderate amount. Some foods I can never eat - Starbucks they over roast their coffee. I can only drink coffee in general a 2-3 times a week. Velvetta - big no no. I never eat pre-shredded cheese either, it's coated in food starch. I very very rarely will eat any type of cheese in the wrapper or jar. I always buy cheese in a whole block and shred or melt it myself. Sour cream - only the ones only with milk and enzymes, same for yogurt. Potato chips may a small handful a couple times a month. French fries are out. I stick to potatoes and rice that I season myself, although I cheated on that tonight, hope I don't pay for it later. I like to make my own bread when I can but do eat mostly store bought so I try to find the bread that the most whole and real ingredients and the least chemicals. Real butter, no margarine. It's just where ever I can lighten my food I do and it's nearly impossible to be perfect but I'm doing enough for now to avoid being ill. Before I did all this and add probiotics I was heading toward disability. My point is that there is a lot to be said for eating clean, it does make a difference and eating whole unprocessed food means a whole lot less hunger.
  • I am the same with cheese, I buy bricks and shred myself.
    I do not like white/yellow potatoes but I do like sweet potatoes.

I saw a recipe this week to make beat chips. Whole beats, peeled and sliced thin, baked in the oven for 15 min then left to cool.

PS, it is my understanding that butter is better for you then margarine.

I too do my own seasoning. I was surprised how easy it is and the taste is incredible.

Isn't there something about raw vs cooked foods with IBS?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    I am the same with cheese, I buy bricks and shred myself.
    I do not like white/yellow potatoes but I do like sweet potatoes.

I saw a recipe this week to make beat chips. Whole beats, peeled and sliced thin, baked in the oven for 15 min then left to cool.

PS, it is my understanding that butter is better for you then margarine.

I too do my own seasoning. I was surprised how easy it is and the taste is incredible.

Isn't there something about raw vs cooked foods with IBS?

ANYTHING is better for you than margarine. :D

• Isn't there something about raw vs cooked foods with IBS?

I haven't looked into that maybe I will.

• ndj1979
    Here we are on page seven of the dog pile. OP: Again, good for you for trying to eat more healthy foods. You're on the right track! Now, keep a deficit to lose weight and you'll be awesome.

yet, you keep coming back to the "dog pile"
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    So a burger I make myself and eat on a whole grain bun is unclean because it's a burger, even though it's lean meat and brown bread?

This is why clean eating makes no sense.

burgers as in fast food, you know McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, you get the picture.
  • ndj1979
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    So a burger I make myself and eat on a whole grain bun is unclean because it's a burger, even though it's lean meat and brown bread?

burgers as in fast food, you know McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, you get the picture.

whats wrong with a wendy's burger if it fits into your calorie and macro goal for the day?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

How do you not eat processed foods? Please elaborate.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.
  • SnuggleSmacks

The nearest fast food to my house is also a drive-thru burger chain called Cookout. It's amazingly delicious, with a true backyard grilled taste. They also grind their high quality meat daily and use otherwise high quality meats, although their bread is nothing to get excited about. They stop just short of organic. They also make a huge variety of heavenly milkshakes.

If they're unclean, I'll just stay dirty.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

How do you not eat processed foods? Please elaborate.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.

I have some mixed veggies in my freezer which have more than 5 ingredients but they're all vegetables and or herbs. No preservatives or anything. Are they disqualified?