Are your five-week predictions generally accurate?

Options

Replies

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    No, because I use the TDEE method.

^^THIS^^
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to turn that stupid prediction off?? It's annoying because it's never accurate for me either. I'd honestly rather not see it at all.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It would only be accurate if you eat and exercise the same for the 5 week period. If you vary to far from the days activities then it will change the 5 wk. results. Mine have not been very accurate because of that reason. I am not on a regimented diet or exercise schedule so my days are ALWAYS different.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to turn that stupid prediction off?? It's annoying because it's never accurate for me either. I'd honestly rather not see it at all.

Just don't "complete" your calories for the day and you'll never see it.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Nah lol! I ignore that :-)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    How does that make any difference? Your calorie deficit is the same no matter what method you use.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How does that make any difference? Your calorie deficit is the same no matter what method you use.

Not when you change your calories to your TDEE in MFP. Your exercise is already taken into account so if you don't log your exercise, MFP thinks you're eating above the deficit it gives you.
  • kahulalui
    Options
    no
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of them. Mine usually reflect something different each day.
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I suppose the "if everyday was like today" statement makes it accurate but no 2 days are the same. Everyday isn't like today, ever!
  • rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i did hope it was accurate at 1kg per week but i lost 4 kg in 6 days ? i try to hit my 1250 - one day in the last week i would have went way way over like 3000 but then another day i struggled to get in 900 ( i saved my cals for dinner as i do cos im hungrier then- then ate a cup of chicken 2 cups of fried cabbage and two boiled eggs - i was ment to eat 15 mussels and a yogurt before hitting the hay but i just couldn't i was full as a bull perhaps as time progresses it might tip the other way ? who knows - as long as im loosing something im happy - i guess if and when i reach the stage i dont loose it will just mean i need to bump up the physical activity
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    As far as prediction accuracy, mine may as well say "Travel is in your future" or "You will soon be meeting old friends." :smile:

Are you at the very beginning of your weight loss? Sometimes in the beginning you lose quite a bit all at once. It slows down after that. Not for everyone, but definitely for some people.

I wouldn't worry about one 900-calorie day...you're adjusting to a new way of eating...it's very likely you'll eat closer to your goal as things even out. As far as not losing, don't even worry about that yet, or I wouldn't anyway! :)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    I suppose the "if everyday was like today" statement makes it accurate but no 2 days are the same. Everyday isn't like today, ever!

^^This^^ (for me anyway, whose days vary quite a bit!)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but I've only been here for 6 months, so its going to happen any day!
  • kikontx
    kikontx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    No.

I wish they would add some better functionality to it though. For one thing, I hate that it's daily--one good day, you're down, but one bad day, and you're suddenly on a weight-gaining trajectory. I would like to see the ability to have it look at the floating average over, say, the course of a week. I would also love to be able to track it--if today it says that in 5 weeks I will weigh XXX lbs, then 5 weeks down the road when I weigh myself I would like for it to 'remember' that number just so that I can see the trends. (Yeah, I'm kind of a data analytics nerd...)

I do this by tracking it in a spreadsheet because I was curious about the trends.

Also, the number is not static. It is based on the current weight you entered in MFP. So when you update that, MFP updates all of those "if everyday..." numbers to use that weight - even if that weight check in is after the food dairy date. I know because I looked a few earlier ones when I started MFP and noticed something wasn't quite right with it. So I tested it by editing my weight check-ins and yep, that number changed.

I also like to see it after I've had a higher than desired calorie day. It makes me feel better than the weight prediction would be about the same or slightly lower than my current weight. So that helps me to avoid the "I just blew it" mind talk.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Seriously? How am I supposed to answer that? Are you really thinking I mark my calendar every day with the prediction and then go back to see how close they were?

Don't get me wrong… I love the predictions. I look forward to closing out my diary every night just so I can see that number. But I honestly can't tell you if they are accurate or not… because I don't exactly keep track of the prediction every day and then refer back to it in 5 weeks. But I figure… don't count on it. For it to be accurate... everyday would have to be exactly like that day. Meaning you would net the EXACT same calories and you would weigh the exact same amount throughout the next 5 weeks. (Oh yeah… and your logging would have to be done with 100% accuracy.) That's virtually impossible when both of those numbers would have have to be identical. Don't count on it being accurate. But it can give you a nice boost of motivation when those predictions are continually showing a weight that is less than your current one.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    mine have been quite accurate over past 4 months.
    simple to quantify,just post it here for a few days running then cross-check in 5 weeks.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    It is a useless extrapolation based upon a single datum. Simply ignore it.

This is the most concise, accurate statement I've seen about this button to date. Well said.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As long as you are very accurate and consistent with both your eating and exercise. They can be.

29509743.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat the same calories every day and have found in the past that MFP's numbers are right for you, then it might be accurate.

It's not accurate for me at all right now since I'm doing TDEE method and MFP tells me what I'd weigh in 5 weeks if I don't exercise.