1200 Calories

Options
Hi all -

I'm wondering if anyone is a) actually able to eat only 1200 calories a day, and b) if so, is it really successful? How have you done it?

I'm finding that I am pretty hungry with only 1200 calories; I've planned out my meals for tomorrow and I'm already over 1200.

I'm 5'3 and 135 lbs, wanting to lose about 15lbs. I'm starting to get a little demotivated and am looking to hear your success stories.

Thanks!
Jaclyn

Replies

• harakiri01
    harakiri01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day does take some getting used to if you have been eating a lot more than that previously. Just take it a day at a time.
    3 months ago I remember trying to stick to it and being starving all the time, now it isn't so hard. It is definitely about making good food choices, things that will keep you feeling full, choosing better snacks and not drinking your calories. I also find if I'm feeling peckish I'll drink a green tea first, that usually dulls the hunger for me.
    Great that you're meal planning but what kind of things are you eating? A usual day for me will be oats and fruit for breakfast, soup or a wrap for lunch, fish/meat with salad or veggies for dinner and snacks are things like corn cakes or an apple with peanut butter.
    I also drink well over 2 litres of water a day.
    On days where I exercise a lot I will eat more because my body needs it. Been managing to lose over 1kg a week. So yeah, just keep at it, 1200 calories isn't a lot so if you need to go over a bit then it's not the end of the world and over time your body will get used to the changes you're making and it will get easier :smile:
  • charlotte48
    Options
    Hi there, how tall are you? You don't actually weigh that much and trying to lose 15 pounds is quiet ambitious! I say that as I am also 53 and weigh about the same but only want to lose about 8 pounds. I think losing too much at our age can make you look gaunt and can be ageing in the face! I too am finding it hard to lose weight at this age and like you feeling very hungry (and weak) on 1200 calories. I am tempted to swap to the 5/2 diet where you only have 500 calories 2 days per week but can eat normally the rest. There is quiet a scientific body of research that proves it has lots more health benefits than constant restriction which is really difficult to sustain. You also lose weight quiet easily. Good luck-otherwise try and exercise more to burn more calories so you can eat a little bit more!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to do 1200 calories, but I do hit it once in a while when I'm too busy to snack, or not feeling well. Otherwise I eat in the 1500-1700 range and I'm much happier.
  • rosannawoodpecker
    Options
    I've been able to stay between 1100 and 1200 by eating a lot of non starchy veges. I add spinach to my one scrambled egg in the morning to help fill me up, or I will have a huge dark greens salad with a carrot, celery, bell peppers, cucumber, etc... along with a grilled chicken breast for lunch. For dinner my plate is always half veges.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Put in a lower weight loss rate and you get more calories. Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at 1200 cals, it can be done however I decided to eat more when I stopped losing - I ate more and started losing again. I am older and need less. If I was young I would eat at a higher cal level. I am MFP friends with a person who has lost 70kgs and has eaten above 1600 cals the whole time.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 67YO and am generally under 1,000. I know it's supposed to be too low but if I go up to 1,100 my weight loss stops. I cut out most carbs and concentrate on low cal, filling foods such as mushrooms, cucumber, beetroot and low-starch veggies. I got to my value by identifying the highest cal item I regularly ate for a week and then removed it from my food list. A week later I identified the remaining highest and removed it and so on. This gave my mind time to adjust to each reduction. When weight loss started I stopped removing items.
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I haven't really had any issues eating 1200 for about seven weeks now. My main strategies are:
    - Eat a lot of low-density foods, ones that take up a lot of space but not that many calories. Raw vegetables, shakes with skim milk, lean meats and fish etc. And if there's a lower calorie version of something, I generally take it. For example, Chobani 0% greek yoghurt has about 109 calories for quite a big serving of 180g, and it's easy to mix in some frozen fruit or a little bit of honey to still keep the calories low but have something filling and delicious.
    - Don't have high calorie, dense foods in reach! At all. If it's not in the cupboard you can't eat it. :)
    - Keep busy. I'm running around a hospital all day rather than sitting at a desk, so I honestly don't even notice if I'm hungry. Same if I'm at my other job. I'm not starving myself, still taking time out for meals, but then as soon as you're done with your meal, your mind is straight off food!

The only thing I occasionally struggle with is walking past all the high calorie foods I used to binge on in the supermarket, then the resolve wavers! But once you're out of there you can focus on the dinner you're going to make etc and it's all gone. :)
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I struggled with 1200 when I just ate less of what I normally eat, now i'm clean eating (mostly) and I find myself eating after tea to get up to that
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she is saying she is 5ft 3in tall, not 53 yrs old.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There are several tricks to make 1200 doable:
    1. Skip breakfast then have 2 respectable meals and a snack if you wish. 500 calories can be a nicely sized meal. A 200 snack, or two small 100 snacks are just there to catch you if you fall.
    2. Eat back your workout calories so in reality you would be eating 1500 or so calories on most days.
    3. Put more thought into your meals so they are protein and fiber rich, making sure every single calorie contributes to satisfaction.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30lbs eating at 1200 calories.

I found you just have to pick high protein foods to stay full and choose carbs wisely. For example, every morning i have a light greek yogurt cup with two spoonfuls of raw oats mixed in.

For lunch, a tuna wrap (light tortilla, tuna, light mayo, sugar-free relish), and a side of veggies.

Dinner, usually something like spaghetti with a side of veggies.

(Also I am a pescatarian, so i never worried about adding meat to the mix.) But most of the time, i still had room in my calories to have a glass of wine. :)
  • becad83
    becad83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It DOES take some getting used to. I am 172cm tall and weigh 91kg. I have lost 12kg eating only 1200 calories per day WITH the occasional slip up ;)
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and after 2 weeks was so miserable i upped my cals and now eat around 1500 a day, my main worry was i didnt want to lose too much to quickly ( i have a lot to lose) and it wouldnt be sustainable as a life style change.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1200 is low for you. Your bmr should be around 1400; because you are already at a healthy weight I don't suggest going below it. Calculate your TDEE and give yourself a deficit that doesn't go below your bmr. You can probably do a 15-20% deficit at sedentary without going below bmr and lose weight.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals to 1400 but stick mostly to 1200. That way, if I go over 1200, I'm not too upset. I have found most of my favorite foods can fit into my daily calories if i plan right. It really is about the planning and having things on hand that will fit.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and at that starting weight I too was given 1200 cals by MFP. I used to exercise 5Xweek though and I ate back exercise cals with some remaining cals. On the one rest day, I used to eat 1400. I think it all evened out because I did lose that weight.
  • jspicher81
    jspicher81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've found 1200 to be relatively easy -- the trick is to start off with only a pound a week (say 1360 cals per day or so) for a few months... and ease into 1200 -- because it is quite low and takes quite a bit of working up to. But eventually it becomes second nature.

• dosti
    dosti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive found i can easily do under 1200 when exercising 4-5 times a week with a 500+ calorie burn each sesh. if i were doing just a diet then i wouldnt last more than a couple of weeks.
  • lefterisprousaliadis
    Options
    In my opinion your best bet is a high-carb, big breakfast. It will keep you full for a long time, plus you'll be burning the calories throughout the day! Then, depending on your working hours/schedule, you could eat some protein around noon-afternoon (small chicken breast fillet, turkey breast fillet etc, accompanied by veggies) and at night something like cottage cheese, a yoghurt etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!