1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for the first 6 weeks and it was doable but difficult. I was very hungry those first few weeks but I did learn a lot about how to get the most food for your caloric budget. I did have some pretty good looking meals and stayed under, but it was not easy and non sustainable. I increased to 1400 and those extra 200 helped tremendously. My rate of loss hasn't slowed down at all since increasing to 1400. I'm 5'4 with a desk job. Play around with your numbers and see what you "can get away with", you will probably be pleasantly surprised!
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Eh, I can eat a ton of food when I want to. I could knock out a 3000+ calorie day without a problem, so I'm not just a light eater

But I feel totally fine on 1200 and I never go hungry. I think it comes down to being economical with your calories. Fewer carbohydrates and more protein and fat generally leaves me sated.

Not drinking your calories helps, I stick to coffee, tea, water and the occasional sugar free iced tea or diet coke.

Eating lots of low calorie vegetables.

Opting for calorie free or low calorie flavouring options- a squeeze of lemon instead of a sugary salad dressing, spices instead of thick marinades etc.

Drinking plenty of water

Having an adequate fiber intake.

Figuring out what times of day you are hungriest (for me it's breakfast) and budgeting more calories for then. (I normally will eat much less at lunch time, as I am typically not very hungry then)

The above works pretty well for me, hope it can help you too
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Much good advice above. I am 5'3" and 73 years old. I dropped from 147 lbs to 113 lbs in eight months and have maintained that weight for more than a year now. On maintenance, if I exercise, I can now eat around 2,000 calories a day. It's more than enough. I do have the odd blow-out but it makes no difference at all.

I stuck obsessively to 1,200 calories, did a fast 15-minute walk each morning and swam for 1 hour. I swapped processed microwave-type ready meals for fresh meat/fish and veg that I cooked myself. Salads for lunch - as much as I hated them. Yes, I was hungry sometimes but it's true what they say, no pain no gain. Stick with it. The rewards are well worth the effort.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 calories a day for over 9 months. It was hard at first and I was always hungry, but I stuck it out and now 1200 is enough to keep me satisfied - not full, certainly, but satisfied enough to stick with it.
  • spotlessladybug
    spotlessladybug Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am 5'5 and currently 167, and have lost 70lbs since January eating 1200 a day.

What works best for me is I don't eat 3 larger meals and snacks. I eat 5 mini meals throughout the day. Each varies from 200-250, so I don't ever feel hungry as I am consistently eating throughout the day.
    I find lots of low calorie veggies and lean proteins are your best options, and make sure you don't drink any calories, so herbal teas are the best to keep me full between meals.

Overtime your stomach actually feels like it shrinks, and you can't eat large meals like you used to, or you feel ill. The first few months were tough, but in the end I am happy!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hello OP, I'm on the 1250 calories a day diet also. I find it rather easy after adding calories from a workout, but even just 1250 calories is quite simple too using low calorie, high protein foods such as egg whites and tuna.

Just started 5 days ago, and I've already lost 2lbs, and I was set for only 2lbs/week.

You're a 28 year old dude????
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was hungry at 1200, I changed my weight loss to half a pound a week. I also try to get some exercise each day, even if it's only 100-200 calories of exercise. After about a month you will find you are less hungry too, your stomach will shrink a bit. Eat low GI, eat more protein. Hydrate about 20 minutes before you eat.
  • suzcain
    suzcain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do it, so I try to work out just about every day - I need the extra calories it affords me. I'm 5'1", so for me to lose any weight at all (I strive for 0.5 lb/week), I have to stay in the calorie range that MFP gives me - 1200 on non-workout days. So when it tells me I earned an extra 572 calories in cardio kickboxing, I happily eat them! LOL!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat 1250 calories a day and I tend to fill up on fruits and vegetables, If you're eating meals that are consuming the 1200 right away, maybe take another look at the foods you are choosing?

This... You can fit a huge amount of veg in for very little calories, there is no need to go hungry!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    If I only at 1200 calories a day, I would be hangry.
    ^
    This.

Set your loss for a little less, and you can eat a little more. Best advice I got from MFPers when I joined and guess what? I still lost consistently. Even an extra 200 calories helps. If you've been eating way over 1200, going lower than that will be beneficial.

• eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When did everyone start seeing results? I know I need to be patient but I've been doing ~1200cal for about 3 weeks and haven't seen anything. I've been working out and eating half my calories back. Wondering if I should start considering changing something. (i'm 5'2" 24yo female)
  • Timon0201
    Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3 and weigh about 132, but was 126 this summer (work/family issues brought the weight back on).

1200 is do-able if you eat at home every meal, but if you try to eat out, this will go out the window. need to add exercise or watch your macros. more protein in the diet does help keep appetite down.
  • Timon0201
    Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    forgot to add, like others day. i'd probably up the goal to 1400. it's amazing how the 200 cal adjustment helps!

also, i always put my planned meals/snacks in MPF the day before to see where i can adjust and try to stick with that the next day.
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    NoMoreTwizzlers Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    hngui wrote: »
    When did everyone start seeing results? I know I need to be patient but I've been doing ~1200cal for about 3 weeks and haven't seen anything. I've been working out and eating half my calories back. Wondering if I should start considering changing something. (i'm 5'2" 24yo female)

Advice: Stop eating your calories back! The Purpose of counting them is to limit them. If you eat them back are you really eating 1200 calories as prescribe? Eating them back just undoes your accomplishment regardless of what MFP says about eating them back. Make sense to you? Eating calories back occasionally for some decadent desert or other food or beverage is cool and human, but fitness goals require discipline. That's my 2 cents.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories and find I can manage it ok if I am not eating out. If I am going out I try to be as sensible as I can be, without it stopping me having a good time. I have lost 45lbs and have 11 more to go to my initial target. I am 5ft 5ins and 52 years old.
  • eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Advice: Stop eating your calories back! The Purpose of counting them is to limit them. If you eat them back are you really eating 1200 calories as prescribe? Eating them back just undoes your accomplishment regardless of what MFP says about eating them back. Make sense to you? Eating calories back occasionally for some decadent desert or other food or beverage is cool and human, but fitness goals require discipline. That's my 2 cents.

I've read a bunch of posts on MFP about eating back calories from exercise and the consensus I see is to eat back half of the calories burned. So I still net about 1100-1200 calories a day. I'm not sure where from my post I said I was eating back calories for dessert or drinks?
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It takes some getting used to but I found that if I plan my meals and stack everything with veggies I am able to keep it around the 1200 calorie goal!

One of my tricks is making sure I eat a snack every two-two and a half hours. I usually choose something low in calories like carrots or special K bars if I am wanting a treat!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Wrong.
    You eat 1200 calories. You burn 400 in exercise, this means you have a net of 800. There is no way your body can sustain on that.
    I have eaten back 1/2 my exercise calories and I have lost 34lb
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Debbjones wrote: »
    I do it every day... and some days if I am overly active, I consume less. I have been doing it for 1000+ days so far. I modified my diet to only eat low calorie foods that make me feel full...

No candy or sweets anymore. After living over a decade considered "obese" I would rather live life thin, than consume the high calorie, high sugar, high fat foods. I found a few minutes on the lips is not worth the years of unsightly fat on the hips!

So in short, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels?

Good path to some kind of ED or body dysmorphic disorder
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!