1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just to help out with stats here.....how old are you? I'm sure you're struggling with 1200 because you have your weight loss set too aggressive and are well below BMR.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    I eat 1200 calories. Not hard at all.....

If I had known 1200 was so easy I would have done it before. My challenge has been keeping it off, not getting it off. I try to eat like bodybuilders do and it's worked for me in getting rid of fat. I wound up looking very lean and muscular, not skinny-fat. Unfortunately, I let work, injuries, couch potato boyfriend, etc, capture my interests and it took me away from a lifestyle I really enjoyed. When I'm maintaining, it will be tough to get in about 1800-2000 calories but I will probably try to stick to the same types of food with some more calorie dense foods added in (e.g. raisins, nuts, etc.).

Also, I drink tons of water and for some reason I think it's really helped. Annoying side effect is always running to the potty and dry hands from washing so many times.

Good luck.

I'm sorry, but body builders eat a lot more than 1200 calories per day.

I meant the type of food, not the quantity of food. And also eating smaller meals more often. No need to be "sorry". There are tons of fitness and figure models who eat at that level of calories when they are trying to burn fat. They are also considered bodybuilders.

I see your point, however ... if they have a very low TDEE they might eat at that level. But if someone is lifting weights and having a high level of activity that most body builders do, their TDEE would be much higher. Large deficits IMO would not be conducive to retaining muscle while losing fat.
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and some days I actually struggle to get up to 1200.

I have cereal with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, that barely goes over 200cals.

For lunch this varies, but it tends to be either a soup or a jacket potato with cheese and beans. So that can be anywhere from 200-700cals

For tea, I tend to have Birds Eye frozen chicken (any of them, original chargrilled, garlic & herb breadcrumb, battered chicken, southern fried breadcrumbed...) and Birds Eye Frozen Steam Veg all in all can total anything from just over 200-300cals.

I ate like that from June to October and lost roughly about 35lbs.

Gonna admit though, with the colder nights, I'm getting lazier and just wanna slouch and eat chocolate hahaha. But yeah it's do-able. :)

P.s I'm 5ft3 was 213lbs and now down to 179lbs (thereabouts I keep fluctuating atm)
  • swaistle
    Options
    But I'm agreeing with the other posters, if you are miserable, up your cal intake and workout some more :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    OP I did look up your TDEE and BMR. My advice would be to change your goal to .5 lb/week and eat back at least 50% exercise cals. Instead of 1200 you could eat 1450-1650 (depending on exercise) still lose weight and not be hungry and miserable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Put in a lower weight loss rate and you get more calories. Rome wasn't built in a day.

This^

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum default. It's not for everyone (heck, it's not even for most). A high weekly goal often leads to 1200. Petite, senior ladies may have to eat this low....young people....not.

Pick something sustainable. You don't have to be miserable all the time. Also note that 1200 is NET. That means when you exercise, those calories are added back. That way people who can't exercise will still lose weight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since March. Lots and lots of nonstarchy vegetables to "fill in the hole" and also eat high protein.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do it every day... and some days if I am overly active, I consume less. I have been doing it for 1000+ days so far. I modified my diet to only eat low calorie foods that make me feel full...

No candy or sweets anymore. After living over a decade considered "obese" I would rather live life thin, than consume the high calorie, high sugar, high fat foods. I found a few minutes on the lips is not worth the years of unsightly fat on the hips!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I am the same weight and height as you and eat 1900 calories and lose weight. I do have more muscle than you though. I would NEVER eat 1200. Sure, you can get used to it but you are just starving yourself. I used to eat 1,700 calories at the same weight and height and lost weight(15lbs) a couple years ago. I've "bulked" a couple times since then, which is why I am the same weight, just a lot more muscle.
  • taxingmonk
    Options
    During the week, most days I'm at about 900-1100 calories. That is toast for breakfast and two low-ish calorie meals of about 300-400 calories for lunch and dinner. I also tend to run 5k most days so am burning an additional 500 calories (a conservative estimate). I've sustained this since March this year and I've lost 27 kilos (60lbs ish) so far. This includes a couple of boughts of illness which have knocked the training and the dieting. At this point I return to 'normal' diet of about 1900 calories a day and then I'm just level (no exercise either).

As far as hunger goes, I only notice after two or three weeks of 'normal' diet that I feel hungry when I transition back. This passes after a while, perhaps a couple of weeks.

That said my weekly calorie intake is offset by a 'big' day. So Monday and Tonight for example I'm off down the pub. Monday I had 4 or 5 pints + Thai Curry and various fried starters. Tonight, I dunno if we'll go for food but I'm banking on another 1000 calories of beer although I did hit the gym for my run and various other bits of cardio. That said this week is unusual in that I'm going to have more than one night out but it's starting to get into that time of year.

Even with the day's off routine I find I don't find I get hunger pangs, that starts to happen after a good couple of weeks.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    Debbjones wrote: »
    I do it every day... and some days if I am overly active, I consume less. I have been doing it for 1000+ days so far. I modified my diet to only eat low calorie foods that make me feel full...

No candy or sweets anymore. After living over a decade considered "obese" I would rather live life thin, than consume the high calorie, high sugar, high fat foods. I found a few minutes on the lips is not worth the years of unsightly fat on the hips!

So what you are saying is you are at your weight goal and maintain on 1200 or less every day? That doesn't sound normal or healthy. Can you explain maybe I am misunderstanding. Congrats on your loss.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    swaistle wrote: »
    I'm on 1200 and some days I actually struggle to get up to 1200.

I have cereal with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, that barely goes over 200cals.

For lunch this varies, but it tends to be either a soup or a jacket potato with cheese and beans. So that can be anywhere from 200-700cals

For tea, I tend to have Birds Eye frozen chicken (any of them, original chargrilled, garlic & herb breadcrumb, battered chicken, southern fried breadcrumbed...) and Birds Eye Frozen Steam Veg all in all can total anything from just over 200-300cals.

I ate like that from June to October and lost roughly about 35lbs.

Gonna admit though, with the colder nights, I'm getting lazier and just wanna slouch and eat chocolate hahaha. But yeah it's do-able. :)

P.s I'm 5ft3 was 213lbs and now down to 179lbs (thereabouts I keep fluctuating atm)

Weekly weight loss goals should be different for those with a little bit to lose VS. those with a lot to lose. The reason for this is obese people can eat very low calorie diets and their bodies will still support existing lean muscle.

When you get closer to goal a very low calorie diet will not support lean muscle efficiently and your weight loss will become fat+lean muscle.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

"Struggling to meet 1200?" it's very possible you are picking "filling" foods as opposed to high nutrition foods. Protein & fat are more calorie dense than veggies this and low fat that. Meeting protein and fat requirements are more important than maintaining a feeling of "fullness."
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone that works out and actually only eats 1200 calories, that is way too little.
  • swaistle
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Weekly weight loss goals should be different for those with a little bit to lose VS. those with a lot to lose. The reason for this is obese people can eat very low calorie diets and their bodies will still support existing lean muscle.

When you get closer to goal a very low calorie diet will not support lean muscle efficiently and your weight loss will become fat+lean muscle.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

"Struggling to meet 1200?" it's very possible you are picking "filling" foods as opposed to high nutrition foods. Protein & fat are more calorie dense than veggies this and low fat that. Meeting protein and fat requirements are more important than maintaining a feeling of "fullness."

Oohh I see! So maybe that's why I'm struggling a bit as of late cause I need to lose less weight now (about 40lb odd to my first big target of 130lb) I hold my hand up, I tend to fill up on veggies rather than protein filled foods like meat and what not. I struggle meeting my protein intake, but I need to find the right amount for me. I try have protein shakes, but if I have too much of them or put too much powder in they upset my stomach -.- yay for IBS! haha

Going off topic here though, thank you for your knowledge TeaBea!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    I eat 1200 calories. Not hard at all.....

If I had known 1200 was so easy I would have done it before. My challenge has been keeping it off, not getting it off. I try to eat like bodybuilders do and it's worked for me in getting rid of fat. I wound up looking very lean and muscular, not skinny-fat. Unfortunately, I let work, injuries, couch potato boyfriend, etc, capture my interests and it took me away from a lifestyle I really enjoyed. When I'm maintaining, it will be tough to get in about 1800-2000 calories but I will probably try to stick to the same types of food with some more calorie dense foods added in (e.g. raisins, nuts, etc.).

Also, I drink tons of water and for some reason I think it's really helped. Annoying side effect is always running to the potty and dry hands from washing so many times.

Good luck.

I'm sorry, but body builders eat a lot more than 1200 calories per day.

I meant the type of food, not the quantity of food. And also eating smaller meals more often. No need to be "sorry". There are tons of fitness and figure models who eat at that level of calories when they are trying to burn fat. They are also considered bodybuilders. I came up with my "diet" from reading books and magazines on these athletes.

Doubtful.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am 5'3" too. I was at 1200. (Weight loss stopped after 6 weeks, so I reduced to 1100, and of I see no result on the scale in a few days, I may have to go down to 1050 cal. :-( ).

But 1200 is totally doable. I was not hungry (at 1100, now I am). However you will have to experiment and find what food and how many meals are filling for you. Some people here tell you to skip breakfast, other say the exact opposite, which is to have a big meal in the morning. We're not all the same.

Experiment !

One thing is (almost) sure, though: at 1200 cals., it is very difficult to incorporate "junk" food or sweets, such as a slice of pizza, a chocolate bar, potato chips, or ice cream. You have 400 cals per meal, INCLUDING snacks. Want 3 Oreos ? Fine, but you'll have 260 cals left for diner, so even if you stuff yourself with vegetables, you may end out staving late in the evening.

You have to discipline yourself. Again: experiment !
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. I am 5' 4" and when I started MFP I was around 145lbs. I lost eating between 1400 and 1800 cals before exercise. You don't have to starve yourself and be miserable to lose weight so why would you? If you are not losing by eating so little you should know you are doing it wrong and instead of dropping your calorie intake even more you need to make sure you are measuring/weighing your food correctly and eating enough.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I am 5'3" too. I was at 1200. (Weight loss stopped after 6 weeks, so I reduced to 1100, and of I see no result on the scale in a few days, I may have to go down to 1050 cal. :-( ).

But 1200 is totally doable. I was not hungry (at 1100, now I am). However you will have to experiment and find what food and how many meals are filling for you. Some people here tell you to skip breakfast, other say the exact opposite, which is to have a big meal in the morning. We're not all the same.

Experiment !

Ugh!

What's hunger got to do with anything? Re: filling....a full stomach does NOT equal proper nutrition. Does your stomach know when your body is using lean muscle mass for fuel?

You want to see results on the "scale" like clock work.....lowering calories again and again....where does this stop? When you need to eat nothing in order to achieve results on the "scale"....are you done then? Weight loss is not linear.

The reason I quote the word "scale" ......that is ONE measure of success. Lowering body fat percentage is another....and reducing measurements is another still. The scale is over rated, just as "feeling full" is.

When you lose fat+muscle....you are not lowering body fat percentage very effectively. When you lose fat+muscle you are not reducing measurements as much as you can. This is the reason fast weight loss does NOT equal healthy weight loss.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Experiment !

Ugh!

What's hunger got to do with anything? Re: filling....a full stomach does NOT equal proper nutrition. Does your stomach know when your body is using lean muscle mass for fuel?

You want to see results on the "scale" like clock work.....lowering calories again and again....where does this stop? When you need to eat nothing in order to achieve results on the "scale"....are you done then? Weight loss is not linear.

The reason I quote the word "scale" ......that is ONE measure of success. Lowering body fat percentage is another....and reducing measurements is another still. The scale is over rated, just as "feeling full" is.

When you lose fat+muscle....you are not lowering body fat percentage very effectively. When you lose fat+muscle you are not reducing measurements as much as you can. This is the reason fast weight loss does NOT equal healthy weight loss.

What hunger has to do with anything? Well, any weight loss plan must be sustainable, especially when one plans on losing slowly, over several months.

Now I don't know if you enjoy that hunger feeling, but most of us can't stand being hungry all the time.
    This means that we have to find a way to:

1. give our body all the nutrients it needs

2. but still lose weight

3. achieve the above WITHOUT being hungry (other than shortly before meals and sleep)

So yes, "hunger management" is part of the equation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!