1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• justaboat
    justaboat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your current intake a little at a time (say, by 100 calories a week). Once you get to 1200 you won't be as hungry as just doing it all of a sudden and you will lose weight quickly.
  • KittiePerry
    KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 270 pounds and I eat 1,200-1,500 calories a day. 1,200 calories is quite doable. Do some research on filling foods, make sure you eat small portions through out the day, plenty of water, and keep busy! I find I eat a lot less when I indulge in my video games because I just don't want to get up and stop playing! Make sure you have little free time to just binge eat, I try not to eat anything at all until my stomach is growling at me as well not just when I feel a little hungry. I hope that helps, it's just my own personal opinion not something based in facts and such. But I seem to be doing good, I was 340 in February!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi all -

I'm wondering if anyone is a) actually able to eat only 1200 calories a day, and b) if so, is it really successful? How have you done it?

I'm finding that I am pretty hungry with only 1200 calories; I've planned out my meals for tomorrow and I'm already over 1200.

I'm 5'3 and 135 lbs, wanting to lose about 15lbs. I'm starting to get a little demotivated and am looking to hear your success stories.

Thanks!
    Jaclyn

I have been eating 1200 calories since April 10th, 2013 and have never had a problem with it. I am over 65 and under 5 feet.
    I make sure that I eat nourishing whole foods and make each calorie count. In all that time I have never eaten more than 200 calories over. I eat a wide variety of ethnic foods ( neither being American, nor living in the US makes that fairly easy ) and come from and live in a cook & eat at home culture. My diary is open.
    I also practice IF ( 5:2 and 18:6 ) because I am a volume eater and am happier with two big meals than three little ones and snacks, but that is a personal choice, nothing more.
    BTW: I also have lost 55 pounds even though I have no thyroid, have RA and active LUpus taking high doses of cortisone each day.

• HealthyDreamy
    HealthyDreamy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mgfarias84
    mgfarias84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Before I actually knew how many calories I was supposed to eat I was eating 1200 calories with small meals and many healthy snacks throughout the day. after about two weeks I was not feeling hungry anymore as long as I kept to my plan. In fact once I realized I was not eating enough it was a little tough to get used to eating my correct calorie amount because I felt full fast. I am a 30 year old 5'10" 278lb male and it was very successful but unfortunately there is a good chance it was not just fat I was loosing.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why not just exercise and eat more?
    Your weight loss -will- stall at some point, and you'll be tempted to decrease your intake even more, which will most likely slow your metabolism. The name of the game is to eat as many calories as you can while still losing weight at a steady rate.

Even a few 20 min HIIT sessions each week will make a difference and will allow you to eat more.
  • sukid88
    sukid88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been able to eat 1200 a day without going hungry, but many days I do go over but I still continue to lose (I'm 5'2). I was able to lose about 40 pounds doing the 1200 cal a day. When I increased it to 1340 I continued to lose and I think I lost even faster, then brought it back down to 1200 to lose more.

I think you should increase your calories, then slowly bring them back down and you should still lose and not go hungry; it's okay if you go over some days.

I started at 172 and am currently at 125.8 doing just that.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories every day and I am feeing quite full. I eat a lot of fat and protein. Then small amounts of quality carbs. Please feel free to friend me.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I have done the 1200 calories .but don't now…just want to eat more..and i find if i exercise i lose weight.

However..what i did was google "lowest calorie foods" and got a good list of things to eat..so i could eat more. Like scallops and shrimp…they are next to nothing.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1200 is actually relatively easy if you make good choices. I started last March at 309lbs and have eaten at or slightly below 1200 every day since then. The key for me is lots of filling vegetables and high protein, lower carbs is a necessity. I drink a lot of water/tea throughout the day, as well. I've only ever been hungry on the days after higher carb meals. I also have calories left for dessert almost every night and never eat back exercise calories. I was at 197lbs as of the day before Thanksgiving last week, so it is possible and not depriving in any way.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    deliacm wrote: »
    1200 is actually relatively easy if you make good choices. I started last March at 309lbs and have eaten at or slightly below 1200 every day since then...vegetables and high protein, lower carbs is a necessity. I drink a lot of water/tea ...only ever been hungry on the days after higher carb meals...calories left for dessert almost every night and never eat back exercise calories...it is possible and not depriving in any way.

Similar story. CHOICES with regards to “nutrition” and portion size are crucial. I almost always save a few calories for that evening treat. Not done yet – but very close. Will base my final number on how I feel while also hitting my target "size."

Photos of some of my meals can be seen at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10024389/fast-food-frozen-dinners-are-tempting-but#latest

As you can see – I am eating VERY WELL!

73641431.png

• cycov
    cycov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually do less than 1200. I eat the same thing everyday 80 calorie yogurt and a cup coffee for breakfast. 190 Calorie Frozen Meal with 2 cups of frozen Cauliflower 65 Calories (three cups if feeling hungry) and repeat for dinner. Rice cakes for snacks. If I get hungry at night I will add salad or soup. But rarely feel hungry. More times than not I feel stuffed.
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Personally I will never do 1200 calories a day again (I was doing 1200 + eating back exercise calories at one point awhile back). It simply did not seem like enough food for me. I was constantly hungry and even felt weak at times.

I am generally very active and tend to workout roughly 5-7 hours per week. I used a TDEE calculator and calculated a range of about 1800-2000 per day and was losing about 0.5-1 lbs per week with that method. I don't think there's any reason why someone would NEED to do 1200 per day to lose weight, unless she were very petite, older in age, and was quite inactive. Perhaps your weight loss will be a little more gradual if you eat more calories, but I find that eating a higher level of calories makes me feel better (after all, food is FUEL for your body) and is more sustainable.

Good luck to you!
  • tiffanyrosborn
    tiffanyrosborn Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have my diary set to 1210, but always end up netting around 1400. I do this because if I had my diary set to 1400, I would end up netting around 1600 ;)

It's not that difficult, but I do go over quite often. I found substituting things when you cook really helps cut the calories (turkey instead of beef or pork, egg whites instead of whole eggs, etc.)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 1251 and I'm not starving or hangry! I'm 5'5 and weight 120lbs. I have a very small frame and when I eat more I gain weight-I've tried it. It took me some time on maintenance to find the right number. I focus on protein first, it helps keep me fuller longer. I DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST! I do however exercise fasted. (A glass of OJ only for carbs to fuel my workout.) Then I always have a small post workout meal. I have plenty of room for healthy snacks during the day if I want them. I also include a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner. I meet my macros and stay within my goal. It takes some planning but it is possible. I don't feel deprived in anyway.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I swaer this thread has made me more confused! I'm 5ft, 28 and wanting to lose about 70ish lbs. I am on 1200cals, eating back most my excercise cals and seemed to be losing steadily-ish (i have had a bad week with birthdays and events so not lost anything for a bit) but now i hear i can eat more and lose? I should eat less and lose? The whole process is confuddling
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. One great trick is to work out, and eat more!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I s4waer this thread has made me more confused! I'm 5ft, 28 and wanting to lose about 70ish lbs. I am on 1200cals, eating back most my excercise cals and seemed to be losing steadily-ish (i have had a bad week with birthdays and events so not lost anything for a bit) but now i hear i can eat more and lose? I should eat less and lose? The whole process is confuddling

simply put-you have to find what works for YOU
  • Laurensanders30
    Options
    Great post !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!