Smoking

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Man, OP, I apologize that so many goofballs hijacked this thread. Begging you to read my uber-long post above, because I do give a *kitten* about your success and I'm trying my best to directly answer your questions. FatFreeFrolicking, regardless of your expertise, you're just sounding ridiculous at this point. I'm so proud of you for presenting on smoking. You had a right to post here, but try to answer the question (as opposed to talking about the risks of smoking... all of the shock-value filled t.v. ads against smoking don't work for a reason, so your doing the same thing won't help... also addressed in Carr's The Easy Way). At this point, maybe quit trying to explain your credentials and back off? Just a suggestion.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    I smoke off and on, generally 1/3 of a pack a day when I am smoking.
    I've never had trouble breathing or any trouble with exercise at all.
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.
    The cravings never really go away, which is why I still smoke......

Okay, I understand how some of you could be upset at the idea of someone smoking so they don't gain weight, I would be too. However, I do not see where she said that... she said the cravings never really go away which is why I still smoke, I believe she is referring to the smoking cravings, OP asked if you ever get over the craving to smoke. She is saying she still smokes because the craving to smoke for her is so strong.

Funny, This whole argument and I keep thinking, "Who is smoking to keep cravings away?" She still smokes because she craves the nicotine, not food. It's a misassociation based on her lack of experience with smoking. She is automatically redirected to her own inner cravings.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Smokers want advice from non-smokers like obese people want advice from an anorexic. Saying that because you smoke you are going to get lung cancer doesn't work or else no one would smoke. OP is not asking 'what are the risks of smoking', she is specifically asking for 'former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now'

I have to agree with FatFreeFrolicking, whether she's ever smoked or not. Smoking in order to avoid food cravings seems ludicrous to me.

The statistical chances of doing yourself harm through smoking are much higher than the statistical chances of doing yourself harm through having cravings, and those cravings can be controlled through other means. Just logically, it makes no sense.

I disagree. If you non-smokers think smoking is poison or unhealthy, why wouldn't it curb your appetite? I mean, cigs used to curb my hunger the same way diet soda does - it makes my stomach ache and, therefore, I have no appetite.

So let me get this straight… you think it's smart to continue smoking just to keep cravings away? You'd rather continue to increase your risk of getting lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, larynx cancer, emphysema, and myocardial infections than gaining a couple pounds while learning how to cope with cravings after you quit smoking? Got it.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'll try to stay on the original topic. I quit about 8 years ago, for the 3rd time.

Having grown up with a parent that smoked and telling myself I would never do it, I ended up being a smoker after all. Lasted for about 25 years. I was never a heavy smoker, probably 6 a day, then heavier on weekends while drinking. So now I have kids, and don't want them to be around it, so I quit. I used the patch the first two times, but this time it was just, "I'm done". The first 2-3 days weren't too bad, because I was determined. Then it got harder for about a week. Then I was done.

I never really had cravings unless I was at a social event and drinking. I replaced the cravings with snacks at first. About 4 years after I quit, I was hanging out with a friend who is a smoker. We had consumed a few beers and a smoke sounded so good. So I took one from him and took 2 puffs. It was the most awful thing I had ever tasted. I apologized for wasting his cigarette but I could take any more and threw it away. I have NEVER even considered it since that day. In fact I'm the opposite, I used to like to hang around smokers after I quit because I enjoyed the smell, now I can stand it and keep my distance.

If you have only just begun, QUIT NOW and thank me later! As other have said, I would rather be 10lbs over weight that continue to smoke.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I stopped smoking when I brought my baby son home - he was never going to grow up thinking smoking is "normal". No cravings, no weight gain. As my "baby son" is now 23, and can make his own mind up, I smoke a cigar once in a blue moon and it's not a trigger at all.
    Not everyone finds stopping difficult. I know some people do so not trying to dismiss their experience but until you try you won't know how hard or easy it will be for you.

My sister never did find the reason to quit. She's now a housebound invalid at age 61 who should be on permanent oxygen but won't because then she would have to stop smoking. Sits in one room all day and all night, unable to breathe lying down, rotting from the feet up due to compromised circulation. Unlikely to make her 62nd birthday.

So OP - suggest you stop thinking about it and do it.

My goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about the condition of your sister. Thank you for sharing, that was very eye opening, really. I've been heavily considering quitting recently and this just hit me like a ton of bricks.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As far as for the OP. I have been tobacco free for almost a year now. I tried multiple times to quit, and finally did it with an Ecig. It's a good way to try. However, to this day I will find myself reaching toward where I used to keep the smokes in my car. My grandmother quit smoking over 40 years ago and says that to this day she still get the craving. You just learn to live with it.
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    corduanji wrote: »
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.

Okay, I understand how some of you could be upset at the idea of someone smoking so they don't gain weight, I would be too. However, I do not see where she said that... she said the cravings never really go away which is why I still smoke, I believe she is referring to the smoking cravings, OP asked if you ever get over the craving to smoke. She is saying she still smokes because the craving to smoke for her is so strong.

Funny, This whole argument and I keep thinking, "Who is smoking to keep cravings away?" She still smokes because she craves the nicotine, not food. It's a misassociation based on her lack of experience with smoking. She is automatically redirected to her own inner cravings.

Precisely :)
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So i started smoking a year ago. I remember my first few days as a smoker, i was thinking "hey this is making me less hungry!", also foolishly thinking that I can always stop. Then it became heavy, I am going through a pack a day now. The reasons to quit are obvious, but my biggest one is not health, or the money i'll save, or to bring my taste buds back to life. It's that, ironically, i find girls who smoke unattractive, and the habit is very repulsive.
    So, former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now, i have a few questions for you: do the cigarette cravings EVER go away and what can I possibly do to not gain weight from metabolism that slows down and increased appetite?
    I already work out and watch my calories, but I'm scared that once i stop i'll just give in and eat.
    Any help is much appreciated.

I have been a smoker a few times in life and recently quit, this time confidently.
    There were quite a few people in my social circle and at work who were passing around a book called 'Easy Way to Stop Smoking' written by Allen Carr.
    The book puts cigarettes into perspective for what they are without shaming you for smoking... he actually tells you to smoke through the whole book. I made it 2/3 of the way through the book (over the course of about 10 days) before I decided I was done smoking.

I strongly recommend the book.

Cravings are not forever.
    If you adopt the practices of thinking the way the book teaches you than you will most likely not gain weight. More importantly whats worse to you not gaining 3 pounds or continuing to smoke?
    Since quitting smoking my calorie count has not gone up. As long as you are thoughtful and hold yourself accountable you wont gain weight.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I quit, using an e-cig a little over a year ago. I did not gain any weight, and it didn't require much effort. I couldn't believe how much it helped! I rarely crave cigarettes anymore. Every once in awhile when I'm drinking I'll get a little pang, but it passes quickly.

ETA; I smoked heavily for 18 years. My mom also quit with an e-cig, and she smoked heavily for over 40 years. She was up to 2 packs a day when she stopped, about a year and a half ago.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

IAteAllTheVegans discussed how she doesn't gain weight if she eats her "regular food and exercise routine" right before saying the cravings don't go away… She's clearly talking about food cravings.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking January 1, 2014... and so did my fiance. He used the fake cigs (those v-cigs), but I went cold turkey. I had a black and mild a week for about a month or so, but no cigarettes after the new year. It was HARD! I still want a cigarette. I'll smell it on a coworker, and I'll get that urge. But, it's fleeting. After a few months, you won't really think about it anymore. You will find some sort of alternative for it though, so be warned... I ate, a lot. Lolz.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a few years ago and I do still crave them once in awhile... but not that much. I did put on some weight after quitting... BUT the reason I joined MFP is because I now have stage 4 lung disease and I want to get on the lung transplant list. Don't worry about gaining weight - you can lose it again and there are things far worse than a few extra pounds.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I quit over 4 years now and honestly the cravings never go away. I quit cold turkey because I felt awful all the time and smoking wasn't helping. I still crave one but I have to just find something else to do. I never gained weight from quitting I gained weight while smoking. It gets better but for me it never went away and quitting never hurt me from losing weight.
  • LeenaJean
    Options

IAteAllTheVegans discussed how she doesn't gain weight if she eats her "regular food and exercise routine" right before saying the cravings don't go away… She's clearly talking about food cravings.

See this is where the whole being/have been a smoker come into play in a big way. You do not understand how strong the craving to smoke is because "thank the lord' you never started. "The cravings never really go away, which is why I still smoke......" OP asked if the cravings ever go away....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for about fifteen years. I smoked while I did sports and rotc in college, and even when I had started exercising regularly as an adult. I fight off writing for a long time, but eventually as I got healthier, I smoked less.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

You will.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 8 years ago, cold turkey. I broke down and had a few cigarettes a couple years later, and they were not satisfying at all. Since then, I've not had any. In my experience, yes, the cravings stop. But then again, I never experienced the level of addiction that so many others seem to have experienced... I just said "I'm done" and stopped.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    So i started smoking a year ago. I remember my first few days as a smoker, i was thinking "hey this is making me less hungry!", also foolishly thinking that I can always stop. Then it became heavy, I am going through a pack a day now. The reasons to quit are obvious, but my biggest one is not health, or the money i'll save, or to bring my taste buds back to life. It's that, ironically, i find girls who smoke unattractive, and the habit is very repulsive.
    So, former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now, i have a few questions for you: do the cigarette cravings EVER go away and what can I possibly do to not gain weight from metabolism that slows down and increased appetite?
    I already work out and watch my calories, but I'm scared that once i stop i'll just give in and eat.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Yes, they go away. It really is different for everyone.
    I quit smoking on June 1st of this year. I started smoking when I was 14. I quit for one short stint in 1984, but started again about 8 months later.
    Fast forward to this year: I was smoking 3 full packs of Marlboro's every.single.day.
    Besides the terrible harm it was doing to my health, I was spending $17.55 per day to continue killing myself slowly.
    I made a quit plan, I joined QuitNet and talked to my doctor. You have to want to quit. I really wanted to quit. The online support group and telephone calls from a quit-coach were super helpful. But the best motivator is wanting to quit and knowing you CAN.
    Truthfully, it wasn't nearly has hard as I thought it would be. Sure I had bad cravings- but they don't last. I am stronger than any craving.
    My mantra is still: I'd rather be a non smoker craving a cig, than to be a smoker wishing I could quit.

Best decision of my life. I can now walk, swim and do most activities without any shortness of breath. I don't stink of cig smoke. And...trust me, even if you think you don't and you smoke, others CAN smell it.
    My teeth are whiter, my skin and hair are brighter.
    Also, there is zero reason to gain weight if you quit smoking. Use the same mindset with eating as you do with not smoking.
    You can do it.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

Uhh yeah it kind of is. If you have never been a smoker, why would anyone need your opinion on stopping ?
  • bulzye
    bulzye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

No one wants ignorant opinions and would rather talk to someone with experience

Says the guy who posts some of the most ignorant things on MFP.

I don't need to be a smoker or former smoker to post a comment on a thread about smoking. I actually have an education in public health and nursing which makes my comments 10,000x more "experienced." In fact, I just presented at a public health conference today about tobacco smoking.

I hope during your presentation you didn't say the words "myocardial infection". Whoops...