Smoking

Options

Replies

• Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

No one wants ignorant opinions and would rather talk to someone with experience

Says the guy who posts some of the most ignorant things on MFP.

I don't need to be a smoker or former smoker to post a comment on a thread about smoking. I actually have an education in public health and nursing which makes my comments 10,000x more "experienced." In fact, I just presented at a public health conference today about tobacco smoking.

I am convinced that you have no clue what you are talking about...
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 45 years and finally quit 19 months ago using e-cigarettes. Before that I had tried just about every known method, but always gave in after a while. ("A while" was sometimes only hours, sometimes days, weeks and even once at 5 months.)

E-cigarettes won't quit FOR you, you still have to work at it until you make the adjustment. I kept myself motivated with a lot of cycling. As soon as I made the switch to e-cigs I was breathing easier, my heart rate was easier to control, and my speed and endurance improved. I didn't gain weight when I quit.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    former 20+ years smoker here, finally quit for good about 7 years ago. yes, the cravings do go away, just takes time. and what helped me to not gain too much weight was taking up jogging. in the mean time, i used those nicotine lozenges and they really helped. also cut a drinking straw to cigarette size to play with like you would a real cig helps. yes it looks silly but it really did help me with the ~psychological~ aspects of smoking. just hang in there, resist the cravings, and keep a positive mindset, you can do it!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

Uhh yeah it kind of is. If you have never been a smoker, why would anyone need your opinion on stopping ?

So you're saying that non smokers talking about smoking is like the Eagles talking about winning in the playoffs? :|
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Uhh yeah it kind of is. If you have never been a smoker, why would anyone need your opinion on stopping ?

So you're saying that non smokers talking about smoking is like the Eagles talking about winning in the playoffs? :|

:(
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Smokers want advice from non-smokers like obese people want advice from an anorexic. Saying that because you smoke you are going to get lung cancer doesn't work or else no one would smoke. OP is not asking 'what are the risks of smoking', she is specifically asking for 'former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now'

I have to agree with FatFreeFrolicking, whether she's ever smoked or not. Smoking in order to avoid food cravings seems ludicrous to me.

The statistical chances of doing yourself harm through smoking are much higher than the statistical chances of doing yourself harm through having cravings, and those cravings can be controlled through other means. Just logically, it makes no sense.

I disagree. If you non-smokers think smoking is poison or unhealthy, why wouldn't it curb your appetite? I mean, cigs used to curb my hunger the same way diet soda does - it makes my stomach ache and, therefore, I have no appetite.

So let me get this straight… you think it's smart to continue smoking just to keep cravings away? You'd rather continue to increase your risk of getting lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, larynx cancer, emphysema, and myocardial infections than gaining a couple pounds while learning how to cope with cravings after you quit smoking? Got it.

No, dummy, I said it curbs cravings. I quit smoking.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I smoke off and on, generally 1/3 of a pack a day when I am smoking.
    I've never had trouble breathing or any trouble with exercise at all.
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.
    The cravings never really go away, which is why I still smoke......

OKay FatFreeFrolicking...I think that this was the post that started the commotion. The OP asked if the cravings ever go away. IAteAllTheVegans responded by saying that the cravings never go away...which is why she is still a smoker! She isn't telling the OP to smoke to get rid of the cravings. She is just saying that she is still giving into the cravings...and therefore is still a smoker.

ETA: We are talking cigarette cravings....NOT food cravings....
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    I quit smoking on July 31 2014. I smoked off and on for 25 years the only time I quit was while I was pregnant. The honest fact is that you have to be ready. You have to start thinking like a "non-smoker". People that have never smoked never will fully understand how hard it is. I quit cold turkey, I set a date about a month prior to quitting and stuck to it. I had to mentally prepare myself that my quit date is coming up. When my quit date was here I had to keep my focus on other things (not easy to do) it can be done. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can to do it. I smoked about a pack a day. I gained about 5-6 pounds after I quit, but I was okay with that because I did not want to battle my weight issues and quit smoking "one thing at a time" (which is why I am here). I never crave anymore, I can stand outside with the smokers and not smoke, my husband still smokes (outside) and it doesn't bother me. The fact is, you have to honestly want it, you have to be prepared and be ready to face the withdrawals (they do go away) and you may gain weight, but you have to figure that your health and not smoking is more important, you can always lose the weight. If you are truly ready, you will quit. Hang in there! I am in your corner, I know its hard. Quitting now (if your ready) will be better then waiting until you are 40, like I did. Good luck!
  • christyallison69
    christyallison69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of quitting right now! It's been 2 weeks. The cravings ( for CIGS! ) are intense, but I'm going to beat it. It's getting better every day. I've lost almost 100 lbs, 36 of them since joining MFP. I was nervous about gaining lbs from quitting, but in the last 2 weeks I've lost another 1.5 lbs! This thread has been very helpful and motivating. Even though I don't post much here, I just had to chime in! Good luck OP, and everyone else working towards their health goals. We can dooo eeeet!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I quit by switching to the e-cig for a few months. It was very easy for me, compared to my other attempts at quitting cold turkey or with the nicotine gum. The e-cig was a decent replacement that allowed me to taper off gradually. Much more like the real thing than gum, slightly better alternative to the real cig, and for some reason, easier to finally put away and be done with.
    As for cravings....there are days (the stressful ones) where I absolutely miss it. I loved smoking....it gave me a wonderful sense of calm and allowed me a few minutes just to myself, outside and away from it all.
    Now, I reach for a cup of hot tea, knitting, or just some silly game on my phone.
    Luckily I don't drink alcohol very often, because craving one after having a few will never go away!!! :#
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Celebrate any product that helps a smoker to quit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

You're right and thank the Lord for that.

I'm curious though… since when must you be a smoker to comment on a thread about smoking? Is it some sort of new rule?

I didn't think so. So kindly "shhh" yourself.

Do you often walk into AA meetings and yell at the people in there about the risk of cirrhosis of the liver? Your holy than thou attitude is pretentious and not appreciated.

No, she probably goes up to anyone she sees with a cigarette and gives them a lecture about how gross and harmful it is. And then they instantly quit because they're not EVEN addicted, they just didn't know it wasn't good for you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    So i started smoking a year ago. I remember my first few days as a smoker, i was thinking "hey this is making me less hungry!", also foolishly thinking that I can always stop. Then it became heavy, I am going through a pack a day now. The reasons to quit are obvious, but my biggest one is not health, or the money i'll save, or to bring my taste buds back to life. It's that, ironically, i find girls who smoke unattractive, and the habit is very repulsive.
    So, former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now, i have a few questions for you: do the cigarette cravings EVER go away and what can I possibly do to not gain weight from metabolism that slows down and increased appetite?
    I already work out and watch my calories, but I'm scared that once i stop i'll just give in and eat.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Yes, they go away. It really is different for everyone.
    I quit smoking on June 1st of this year. I started smoking when I was 14. I quit for one short stint in 1984, but started again about 8 months later.
    Fast forward to this year: I was smoking 3 full packs of Marlboro's every.single.day.
    Besides the terrible harm it was doing to my health, I was spending $17.55 per day to continue killing myself slowly.
    I made a quit plan, I joined QuitNet and talked to my doctor. You have to want to quit. I really wanted to quit. The online support group and telephone calls from a quit-coach were super helpful. But the best motivator is wanting to quit and knowing you CAN.
    Truthfully, it wasn't nearly has hard as I thought it would be. Sure I had bad cravings- but they don't last. I am stronger than any craving.
    My mantra is still: I'd rather be a non smoker craving a cig, than to be a smoker wishing I could quit.

Best decision of my life. I can now walk, swim and do most activities without any shortness of breath. I don't stink of cig smoke. And...trust me, even if you think you don't and you smoke, others CAN smell it.
    My teeth are whiter, my skin and hair are brighter.
    Also, there is zero reason to gain weight if you quit smoking. Use the same mindset with eating as you do with not smoking.
    You can do it.

It's really good to hear your story. I also started super young and smoked a lot for a long time, and I did quit a few years ago but then started back up because I didn't know how to handle the cravings. It was one thing while I was quitting, like I expected them, but then a year later when they came back as strong as ever I guess I wasn't prepared, or had a different mindset that didn't keep me as on point as I needed to be.

Did you pay for QuitNet? I'd be interested to hear any/all details of your experience :) I'm at 1/4 pack most days, more if I'm drinking. I know that could go back up in a heartbeat though.

To the OP: As someone who was a recovered smoker at least for a minute, I can tell you that the best part about it, better than the money savings, the health, the teeth, the smell etc, is just the sheer feeling of being FREE. Addiction is slavery.

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Smoking newports helped me quit too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i quite and i didn't gain any weight. i still smoke weed though so that made it easier, i still could satisfy the habit to a certain extent.

My cigarette cravings went away, the need to have one after every meal or on every drive actually dissipated within a few months for me.

But for some reason whenever i see Bruce Willis smoking i REALLY want a cigarette lol. every now and then i'll smell the smoke and while it doesn't smell good there is something appealing in there. i'll ask for one and the first drag makes me want to throw up.

its pretty hard, but it sure as *kitten* isn't nearly as hard to kick as heroin, i don't understand how people say that with a straight face.

you can do it. plus you have only been smoking for a year, it should be a little eaisier for you then someone who's been doing a pack a day for 20 plus years. I only smoked for about 6 years myself and it wasn't that hard for me.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I quit cold turkey close to 20 years ago. I never gained weight and had zero cravings for them. I will admit that the hardest thing for me was the first time I went out to a bar because I was used to having a drink in one hand and my cig in the other. It didn't cause me to bum a smoke off someone though and I got over it.

I really don't think it's so much an addiction as it is a habit. I worked with a gal who told me she and her husband had gone to see someone to help them quit smoking and he made them change their habits and just doing that helped her to quit.

I can't stand the smell of smoke now and I'll be honest. If I see a pretty girl or a good looking guy and they light up they are immediately unattractive to me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i just did cold turkey. Nearly all of my friends still smoked, but they were kind enough to refuse me a cigarette every time i asked for one (or begged for one). plus they banned smoking indoors in any public place right around the time i quit so that helped too.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    so the cravings never really go away? :/
    I am glad to hear you never gained any weight, good job!

well she didn't necessarily say that. It may have been what she meant. i smoke, I'm a smoker, it would be hard to kick the act of smoking, and if it stopped it ... I'd probably consider myself a smoker on a break, but i have basically zero nicotine cravings.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.

i always liked smoking, idk how addicted i really was to the nicotine... but a suppose i had to be. If its the nicotine drug effect that draws you to smoking (whatever that really is lol) then it would probably help.

but if you really the act of drawing smoke into your lungs (i know to nonsmokers that probably sounds hella disgusting), then it probably wont do a lot for you.