Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• bigfatlazyslob
    bigfatlazyslob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I decided to try this pill when I saw a commercial on TV that said it can make me stop eating. After ordering an extra large meat lovers pizza from Pizza Hut I thought it might make it easy for me to lose weight because I don't really know how to stop eating. I really like food and just can't get enough! I don't like exercise I usually spend the day in bed watching TV and eating so I think it really might help me out here. I also like all the easy things in life and don't do hard exercise because it is too hard. I would rather take a drug that has seziure medicine in it to make me stop because I really think it's a healthy idea for me. The seizure medicine in it will relax the lower lobe of my brain and alter me central nervous system causing headaches dizziness and cognitive issues. It's okay though because I'm looking for a quick fix as I don't like hard exercise and am a big fat lazy pig.
  • TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I started Contrave one Weds the 18th of Jan -- My doctor did tell me this is JUST a tool and that I also needed to watch intake ect. While thankfully I have not had very many side effects...I do know that I have not been as hungry which is huge! I have gained weight steadily over the past few years due partially to having PCOS, Thyroid, multiple Fertility Treatments and painful lower back issues and so far I have lost about 5lbs(IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!). It could be water weight, diet and/or bc of the pill but I feel like it is too early to know. I know this isn't a "Magic Pill" as some like to put it but know this is simply a tool to help me really jump start this weight loss... and so far it seems to be working -- I look forward to seeing how much I drop in the next 3 weeks! :)

Side Note: For anyone that thinks this is me taking a med b/c I am lazy -- I work out 3-4 times a week, I meal prep EVERY week with lean, clean, healthy portion right foods -- and I still have a hard time dropping weight. I have gained b/c of multiple fertility treatments, a thyroid issue and PCOS (look it up) ... Further certain high intensity exercises can be hard for people with actual injuries...imagine being in pain just from standing at the sink peeling hard boiled eggs, leaning over the tub to wash your dog, or not being able to bend over w/ pain first thing in the morning to put the dogs collar on... this is just some of what I have to deal with. Some of you trolls are awfully judgemental of people seeking help to get HEALTHY -- Everyone has their challenges and diet/exercise is not a one size fits all. Consider that before you make some crappy post.
  • smithebeth
    smithebeth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got my prescription today. I look forward to starting it tomorrow!! The online savings card was super easy and fast to get. My insurance didn't pay for it so the savings card brought my bill down from $177 to $90.
  • heffneil
    heffneil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I decided to try this pill when I saw a commercial on TV that said it can make me stop eating. After ordering an extra large meat lovers pizza from Pizza Hut I thought it might make it easy for me to lose weight because I don't really know how to stop eating. I really like food and just can't get enough! I don't like exercise I usually spend the day in bed watching TV and eating so I think it really might help me out here. I also like all the easy things in life and don't do hard exercise because it is too hard. I would rather take a drug that has seziure medicine in it to make me stop because I really think it's a healthy idea for me. The seizure medicine in it will relax the lower lobe of my brain and alter me central nervous system causing headaches dizziness and cognitive issues. It's okay though because I'm looking for a quick fix as I don't like hard exercise and am a big fat lazy pig.

Ya know - People who are heavy don't want to be fat. I am sure we all want to look and feel great. Parts of this prescription is administered to people with drug addiction issues. I want to say that I don't do drugs or gamble or have other vices but food. Food is my drug and I admit it. The problem with food being a drug is that you HAVE to eat! In other words drug addicts can choose to quit and never take a hit of drugs again but imagine if you were a heroin addict and you had to just take a little 3 times a day to survive? Also everyone around you uses heroin and every commercial, every social media post is about heroin? It is all around you and people do it like it is nothing and it affects them little.

Again I don't think anyone overweight wants to die an early death or have their chest cracked open. Your comments are obviously nasty and you wrongly believe fat or overweight people are lazy. We don't want an easy solution to being overweight (well actually we do) but it isn't possible. There are people who can eat what they want and never gain an ounce and many of us who eat or smell food and gain weight.

This prescription is an aid to fighting the battle. I don't think it is cheating although I used to have that mentality myself as an overweight individual. I thought gastric bypass was cheating - but these options are aids to assisting people with food addiction and or poor metabolic rates and or other health issues that cause us to gain the weight faster.

I admit I don't eat the best. I don't eat crappier because I am on Contrave. As a matter of fact I lost weight while on contrave but that is because I dieted. When I have hunger pains or feel like I am excited for dinner tonight I take a step back and either the medicine or the placebo effect says "wow wait a minute food isn't the answer or settle down because you have this crutch", I am stuck on 2 pills a day (1 in the morning and 1 at night). When I took two in the morning I couldn't function and haven't had a day where I can try again and be able to suffer the consequences.

In summary: be nice. We aren't trying to avoid paying taxes or cheat the system. Unfortunately we've been dealt a tough hand and we are trying to do something to make our lives better, reduce the overall insurance costs to everyone by getting healthier. We utilize this tool like any other task to have success but please don't judge because it isn't fair.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I didn't like Contrave. I got forgetful and jittery. I have two bottles of it sitting unopened on my shelf.
  • tarajoelizondo
    tarajoelizondo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was taking contrave, I just finished tapering off of it. The side effects weren't worth it for me.. I had severe n/v, the worst abdominal pain and muscle spasms you could imagine. I would lay in bed and cry. I'm so jealous of those who had little or no side effects.
  • lanastasia
    lanastasia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on day four of Contrave. Nausea is tolerable. I get really sleepy right after taking it. That's a problem since I work during the day. My head feels like it swimming, can't really describe it. That goes on all day. I've been eating right. No high fats. Less than 1200 calories a day. Today I had the worst craving for food when I got off work. Then I slept after eating. My sleep habit at night when from six straight hours to every 2 hours. I'm kinda scared to bump up to two pills a day on Thursday. I don't want to feel even worse. Any suggestions!?
  • amcdonald1125
    amcdonald1125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of Contrave. My two side affects are constipation and I AM SO TIRED. Literally barely keeping my eyes open. I notice a lot take it at 2a/2p. Why is that? My dr said take around 8a and 4p but maybe I'm taking them too close together? I can totally notice a difference with cravings and food. If the sleepiness would go away it'd be perfect.
  • orlandocommando
    orlandocommando Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lanastasia wrote: »
    I'm on day four of Contrave. Nausea is tolerable. I get really sleepy right after taking it. That's a problem since I work during the day. My head feels like it swimming, can't really describe it. That goes on all day. I've been eating right. No high fats. Less than 1200 calories a day. Today I had the worst craving for food when I got off work. Then I slept after eating. My sleep habit at night when from six straight hours to every 2 hours. I'm kinda scared to bump up to two pills a day on Thursday. I don't want to feel even worse. Any suggestions!?

• orlandocommando
    Options
    Hi. So, did you bump up to 2/day on Contrave? How did it go? I am on day 4. No problems so far. (I did have a slight headache on day 1 but could only be temporally related to the med.) Cravings have never been my problem so that part of Contrave is likely wasted but other meds that were mostly appetite suppressants like Belviq and Quisimia gave me the jitters and insomnia. The slight suppressant wasn't worth the side effects. Anyway, good luck on your fitness journey.
  • tali9761
    tali9761 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started a week ago. 1 pill a day. I take it early in the morning. I don't feeling like it's helped curb cravings or appetite and it makes me extremely drowsy, nauseous and gives me stomach flu like symptoms (stomach cramps, gas, the runs, etc) . All not good on your drive to work. When the medication wears off in the late afternoon to evening, I feel fine. Hoping these taper off in the next few weeks.
  • JustSomeTexan
    JustSomeTexan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started my third week at 2 in the AM and 1 in the PM. So far so good. I don't think I've had any crazy weight loss, but it's defiantly helped me with cravings.
  • heathery1213
    heathery1213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started CONTRAVE almost 2 weeks ago and this past weekend I noticed a huge change in how I felt about food- BUT I hate the foggy head feeling, the constipation and the insomnia ~ There is no way that I can go up to that full 4 pill a day dose- ever- I am going to go back down to one pill a day starting today- I am not taking the pill before bed- I got terrible sleep the last 2 nights and I need my sleep- I also cannot feel this out of it at work- it's hard to find the words you want to use, etc.....
    Do you really "get used to it"? I am going to email my Dr.- I have been great with my diet but not at all with working out because I am tired and dizzy-I am not even sure that I want to keep taking the one pill a day but I have lost 8 lbs already and that is a GREAT feeling - I started FEB 22nd so the 8th will be 2 full weeks- I am thinking that this may have given me a nice jump start to get motivated(I now am) but it's time to do this on my own with MFP and fitbit from here on out- I really do not like feeling this way~
  • orlandocommando
    Options
    Just started week three. Pro: down 2 pounds. Con: I don't poop! I drink lots of water, take powdered fiber, Miralax and have a squaty-potty. (Too much info, I know. Sorry.) No other side effects I can attribute to the med but what-the-frack? My doc says taking a laxative once a week is OK but I am not sure the minor weight loss is worth it.
  • kaytlen7
    kaytlen7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I was placed on the med Lexapro several years ago for anxiety issues...and yep...blew up like a whale...60 pound weight gain over the last 4 years....went cold turkey on the med on Sunday...weaning is not for me...and really no withdrawals except a mild headache. Saw the doc yesterday and requested Contrave. I have only been on it one day...one pill this morning....still just a mild headache...but could also be related to high pollen count too. I'm usually craving all day long...sugar/chocolate/ anything and everything....as of taking the med this morning...craving just not there...I know...doesn't sound possible....and maybe it's my mindset right now, so disgusted with this increased weight..who knows....I'll keep updating though.
  • kbd18
    kbd18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm in my second week of taking Contrave, so one pill in the morning and one in late afternoon. When I first started taking it last week I was taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin and a very small dose of sertraline (lexapro). I noticed on the leaflet with the contrave that taking it with additional Wellbutrin wasn't advised. My doctor decreased my Wellbutrin to 150mg. So far, I'm not noticing ANY effects of the Contrave. In fact, I think I've gained weight, feel hungrier, and sleepier. Is this normal?? Does it take until week 3 or 4 to start noticing results? Could it be an interaction with Lexapro? Why is caffeine not advised with Contrave? I drink coffee every morning. Also, I'm in week 2 of Run for God class, so I'm running/walking for 20-30 minutes 3 times per week. Any advice from experienced Contrave users is appreciated. I really was hoping this drug would work for me.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3. I take my pills at 7 am and 7 pm. I feel this is the best time for me. I had a headache the first week on it. That has faded. I do have constipation issues. Started taking miralax this week hoping it helps. I only get nauseous when I bump up my dose. I also got a little foggy headed this bump up as well for a day or so.

It really helps with cravings and hunger. I am no longer miserably hungry. I still have to make the right choices and limit calories but it makes it so much easier. I've been on for 17 days and am down 11.5 pounds. If anyone wants to friend me feel free!
  • orlandocommando
    Options
    Had to quit taking it. I could have lived with the constipation by adding occasional laxative to my regimen of Benefiber and Miralax but in week 3 I started to feel bizarrely bad: jittery, slight nausea and chest flutters particularly after any exertion, even a 10 minute bike ride. The weight loss (2 lbs in 3 weeks) wasn't enough to put up with all that to see if they side effects would resolve. (I never had cravings but thought the appetite suppression effect would be greater.) So, it's back to eating less, exercising more and tracking every morsel on MFP. :-(
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    Options
    Had to quit taking it. I could have lived with the constipation by adding occasional laxative to my regimen of Benefiber and Miralax but in week 3 I started to feel bizarrely bad: jittery, slight nausea and chest flutters particularly after any exertion, even a 10 minute bike ride. The weight loss (2 lbs in 3 weeks) wasn't enough to put up with all that to see if they side effects would resolve. (I never had cravings but thought the appetite suppression effect would be greater.) So, it's back to eating less, exercising more and tracking every morsel on MFP. :-(

You have this! No worries!! Contrave is just to make it easier but you definitely don't need it! Sorry to hear about your side effects. I know my body was stunned each increase in dosage.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    Options
    Just had my 4 week appt. I am down 13 pounds, most side effects are gone so he renewed my prescription.