Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• crystalwhitehouse
    Options
    I just started taking Contrave three weeks ago. I'm not on the 2/2 dose yet but I've lost 5.7lbs so far with it. Looking for others wanting to offer and receive support
  • mstout222
    mstout222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doc prescribed me phentermine along with contrave. I started Phen on 8/31 and Contrave on 9/6. In 2 weeks I have lost 12 lbs. Today is the first day of the 1/1 dose, so far only side effects have been some nausea and slight dizziness.
  • jodiesneed3
    jodiesneed3 Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was skeptical when I started trying it last Wednesday I am on day number 9. The first week I slowly stop thinking about eating without any side effects. After I added pill number 2 at night I definitely find after just a few bites I'm incredibly full I do not think about binge eating and when I drive home from work I do not feel like grabbing fast food before I get home. In 9 days I believe I lost a total of 3 pounds but I feel like working more each and every day I have had zero side effects so far. Do I think it is a magic pill no but I do think that it keeps my mind constantly about eating for the sake of just eating. I do try to eat healthy even now and I drink lots of water I feel this is going to be what works for me. I want to lose a total of 40 pounds.
  • jodiesneed3
    jodiesneed3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is my 2-week Mark I just increased my morning dosage to two pills and one pill at night. I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks and find it challenging to make sure I am eating enough now. I used to at McDonald's on my way home so I could eat before I went home to fix dinner for my whole big family because I normally never had time to sit down with the family and eat. I don't even think about fast food I do not think about sweets for binge eating I really think that this medication is going to be a big help for me. Side effects only thing I am noticing is a slight constipation not bad enough to have to take something for it.. I did read where it can cause illicit dreams the only dream I had so far was about a spider on my neck and that was gross. I was actually hoping last night I had a great dream about Brad Pitt since he's newly single lol no such luck. Best wishes to all on this medication I hope you're having good success I'm very grateful that my doctor gave me the prescription I never heard about it until she said something and she was reluctant but we went down about every Avenue as far as why I was not losing weight. I stay extremely active with 5 children I run 5K races and I still was not losing but even slowly gaining weight. I'm very excited to find this medication.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like a miracle, it could end the 'obesity epidemic'.
    If I ever gain weight again, I can always use this to lose it! :)
  • Mspibb
    Mspibb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave the first week of March. I had the nausea and general queasiness for the first few weeks but that has gone away. I had lost 34 pounds, but after my birthday (and lots of eating out and cake!) a couple of weeks ago have gained back 4 that I can't get rid of! I was already walking (using a pedometer) about 30-35 miles a week. I do fine during the day- breakfast half a banana, skim milk and either egg and wheat toast or high fiber cereal, I take a salad to work for lunch, I don't eat dressing and use spinach or spring mix, lean protein and almonds- it's when I get home in the evenings. I can literally eat (Sweets!) from the time I get up from supper until I go to bed. The Contrave really helped with that when I first started talking it. I am only taking 2 pills in the morning but I have started back to the old cravings. I tried adding one pill in the evenings but couldn't sleep. I was considering trying 1/2 a pill in the evenings but just read it should not be cut. I really want this to work. I am down 3 sizes and it is so nice to not have to buy my clothes in the "PLUS" department!
  • Sweet_Emotion84
    Sweet_Emotion84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my second week of Contrave. So far, my only side effects are a headache, occasional hot flashes, and not sleeping as well. I have a lot of weight to lose so I'm hoping this helps. I have noticed a reduction in my cravings/bingeing overall, however, the past two days my cravings have increased a bit. Has anyone else had their cravings return (not to the extent they were before the medication but just a little)?
  • Wdeichman
    Wdeichman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seems I'm a bit different than everyone else on here. I have been taking Contrave for over a year and have only lost about 8 pounds. A few years back I was using phentermine and had great results. I lost 40 pounds and then I hit a plateau, so I thought I could do it on my own. Over the next few years, I gained 30 of the 40 pounds back. I went back to the doctor and this time phentermine didn't seem to do much, so he decided to try Contrave. I had absolutely no side effects and the weight very slowly started to come off and then completely stopped. I am using the ScaleDown program that comes with the prescription and all that does is annoy me! You are supposed to weigh yourself every day and if you don't, you get these annoying texts from the program. If I sleep in late one day, I get texts saying "You haven't weighed in today, please get on the scale now!" Thanks for waking me up for that! Grrr! I see my doctor in a couple weeks and I am going to tell him I want off. Hopefully we can find something else that will work, if not, I will just keep trying to do it on my own.
    It's really frustrating when I read about all of these great success stories and I have not seen the same results; not even close!
  • PickleJuice9484
    PickleJuice9484 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds on my own so far, but since I will be trying for a baby after I get married next year, my doctor put me on this to help ensure that I get to a safer pregnancy weight by next October. (Yes, doc said it was safe to take up until i get pregnant!) Only on it for 3 days so far (1 pill in the AM). No side effects at all. I look forward to getting up to the regular dose of 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM. Can't say if it's really working yet only on day 3 but I'll keep everyone posted!
  • PickleJuice9484
    PickleJuice9484 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Day 5 on Contrave and I've lost 4.2 lbs. Still only 1 pill in the AM's. No weird side effects. Definitely started to feel a big difference after a few days, much smaller appetite. I feel it start to wear off a little around dinner time and for those late night snack cravings, so I'm excited to start the PM dose in a couple days.
  • nyangelatheart
    nyangelatheart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave today. I am a little nervous, because of the side effects I read about. I also don't like taking medications, but my weight is now affecting my health. I have tried on my own to lose weight and have been able to do it but never getting to my goal weight. I have always felt like I am the type of person that puts their mind to something I can accomplish it, except for losing weight. Leaving me feeling like a failure. I want to enjoy life and be healthy. So much so, I am willing to try medication, because obviously I need help after struggling most of my life with being overweight. I am the only person in my family that is overweight, making it difficult for my family to relate and support me. Now older with two adult children and grandchildren. I have a lot to live for
  • dr3ams1nd1g1tal
    dr3ams1nd1g1tal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Starting today and hoping it works out :) very excited to try want to lose about 90lbs give or take, there's no magic number just healthy.
    Would love friends that are taking it as well so feel free to add if you wish :)
  • pdub22
    pdub22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How is going for you two?
  • kristophermegahan
    Options
    I am on week two now. Back to logging and exercising. A little bit of nausea and some sleep issues. We will see where this lands. Anyone else taking it feel free to friend me, I would enjoy the Comradery.
  • kristophermegahan
    Options
    W2D5. I am felling less hungry. Nausea in morning and sleep problems though....feel free to friend me anyone on the journey that wants a comrade.
  • AJY641
    AJY641 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Contrave & took it for 6 months without any success. I had no side effects.
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just started yesterday - so far, so good.
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Day 5 on Contrave and I've lost 4.2 lbs. Still only 1 pill in the AM's. No weird side effects. Definitely started to feel a big difference after a few days, much smaller appetite. I feel it start to wear off a little around dinner time and for those late night snack cravings, so I'm excited to start the PM dose in a couple days.

How's it going so far for you? Read your profile and I'm in the same boat - lost 90 lbs over two years using MFP and counting calories - but then I moved, changed jobs, got married, and am mostly sedentary PLUS went back to using food as an emotional crutch. I am only on day 2 of Contrave, but it seems to be helping me already.
  • airplaneseat
    airplaneseat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Friday was the beginning of week 4 on Contrave, starting the 2 am / 2 pm pills. In three weeks, I have lost 14 pounds. I have about 61 more to go. I know this rapid weight loss will not continue, but it feels good to not gain over the holidays.

So, the Contrave has been working fabulously for me. I do not think about food and am not hungry at all. Nor do I think about having a cocktail after work. Just no desire for it. I recommend trying it to anyone searching for help. As far as side effects, in week one I had the weird / high feeling that others discussed. Slightly disconcerting, but not as bad as I expected after reading some of the reviews.

In the past two weeks, I have noticed that I have been having unusual dreams. Before starting Contrave, I rarely would remember having any dreams. Now, I dream just about every night. Some of them have been bad, others merely odd. The dreams do not wake me up. I fall asleep faster and do not wake up while sleeping. So, I have to say that I sleep much better than before Contrave.

Now, I can vividly remember my dreams, even days later. I wonder if anyone can tell me if they experienced this and will this side effect will go away?

Thanks!

• nyangelatheart
    nyangelatheart Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have been on Contrave for 71 days and have lost 20 pounds in less than 2 months. I try not to weigh myself except every 30 days. So I'm not sure if I have lost more. I did notice though that when I didn't eat I would get sick feeling with nausea and dizziness . My doctor will like me to lose 10lbs a month. I say all this because now that I have been on 2am & 2pm pills for a few weeks now I do find some of my cravings coming back and feeling hungry. It is worrying me. I need to talk to my doctor. If anyone would like to be friends please feel free to add me.