What's your favorite Chili Recipe?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Turkey tenderloins. Can low sodium dark kidney beans. Can low sodium light kidney beans. Two cans low sodium tomato sauce. Can of tomato paste. Can of low sodium diced tomatoes. Can of diced tomatoes with chiles (Ro-tel). Tons of spices - garlic, paprika, pepper, cumin, onion powder... basically every spice in your cabinet. Don't be shy. Place all in slow cooker for 4 hours high or 6 hours low. Shred tenderloins before serving. Top with cheese and sour cream to serve.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    the one from Wienershnitzel. Or Tommy's... that one's pretty bomb too.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is my favorite chili recipe. In fact, I just made it last night.

recipesfromgrandma.com/604/yankee-slow-cooker-chili-recipe/

I sub a can of pinto beans for one of the cans of kidney beans. Serve on top of fresh corn bread. Yum!!
  • JeffMeehan
    JeffMeehan Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    8 ALARM CHILI

Ingredients:

2 large yellow onions, diced
    6 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
    7 habanero peppers, finely diced
    2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
    1 (12 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo (finely minced and include all of the adobo as well)
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    1/2 lb bacon (chopped into strips and par pan fried)
    1 lb hot Italian sausage (taken out of casing and made into bite size pieces and par cooked)
    2 lbs beef chuck (cut into bite size pieces and par cooked)
    1 lb ground beef, par cooked
    1 tablespoon hot Hungarian paprika
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1/3 cup chili powder
    1 head garlic, finely minced
    2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crushed
    1 (16 ounce) bottle mole

Directions:

Par cook and/or sear the meats.

In a 6-Qt. Crock Pot layer as follows: onions, garlic, jalapenos, habaneros, kidney beans, black beans, chipotle peppers, crushed tomatoes, ground beef, chopped bacon, hot Italian sausage & beef chuck.

In a blender, combine the beef broth with the mole sauce and pour the mixture over top.

Mix together all the spices and set aside.

Cook everything but the spices in the Crock Pot at low setting for 8 hours.

Five hours into cooking add the spices and cover with juices from the mixture.

When done cooking, carefully mix together in the Crock Pot, or transfer contents to a 7.5-qt stock pot and mix everything together.
  • webdarren
    webdarren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's mine with a video on how to cook it too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Y6uCC9WqQ
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    this won't get me points for originality, but it is super amazing delicious
    • mccormick tex mex chili packet
    • everything on the back of the packet, but: use black beans, use tomatoes with green chilies
    • use ground turkey for the meat
    • add 1 can of corn
    • add 1 chopped green pepper
    • add 1 small chopped onion
    • prepare according to package directions, adding everything in with the browned turkey.

always delicious and way easier than wrangling thousands of spices. it does have a decent kick, too.
  • greyzie123
    Options
    My heads spinning from all the recipes!! Going to try one on Saturday night
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm so lazy - my favorite chili recipe is the chicken chili I get at the 14th street West Side Market down the street from my gym. ;)
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact recipe (I tend to just wing it when cooking), but I love my turkey chili which has:
    - ground turkey
    - cubed butternut squash
    - red onion
    - garlic
    - red bell pepper
    - canned tomatoes
    - white and/or black beans
    - spices: cinnamon, paprika, cumin, cilantro, chili (of course), pimento

I basically fry off the red onion and brown the turkey, then add the spices and the other veg and let that fry for about 5 minutes before adding the canned tomatoes (possibly with some water). It's cooked within 10 minutes, but the flavors develop more if you let it simmer a bit longer. Sometimes I'll stir in some spinach at the end :-).
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    bump ! yum !

actually where on earth do I find posts I've 'bumped' to come back to later? I can't figure it out.
    Evidently at the top of the thread, on the right side, there is a star which you can select. It'll bookmark it for you. If you go to any forum page you'll see a grey star there. If you select it, any threads you've starred will be listed.

I'm gonna give a variation of that eight alarm chili a try soonish ... Gotta eat through some soup first.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    8 ALARM CHILI
    I've made a variation of this once already and it was awesome. It didn't last more than, like, maybe six days, though. It was so damned good.

I'm making more tonight so I can take some in to work for lunch tomorrow. And have for dinner tomorrow. And maybe even have for breakfast tomorrow. Mmmm ... tomorrow ...

Chili is the bestest.

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    _BeBrave wrote: »
    2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
    4 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    2 pounds ground beef (I prefer the leanest ground turkey I can get)
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
    1 can (14.5 ounces) fire roasted chopped tomato
    1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
    1 cup of water

You have two options...brown the meat, drain the fat and add all ingredients in and stir...let simmer for a couple hours so flavors can develop.

OR my favorite way of doing it (because it breaks down the meat in such a way that it's just freakin fantastic) is throwing it all in a crockpot...stirring it to mix, and setting it to cook on low for 10 hours. If you want to add a can or two of beans to add more protein and fiber, you can do so but you may need to add a bit more water.

I can't wait to try this. Thank you so much for sharing. <3 Personally, I will be doing the crockpot way. I am not "yet" that controlled with my fats, that I would worry about the difference of the two. I can't wait. I know what dinner will be tomorrow. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Mine is really easy: one large onion, one large pepper, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 chopped jalapeño, 2 cans of petite diced tomato, 1-2 small chopped zucchini, 1 can of pumpkin purée, adobo, a sazon packet, and about 2-3T chili powder, 1-2T cumin, a little bit of dried oregano and stir in a bit of fresh cilantro at the end. Comes out around 225 calories per 1.5 cup serving.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    This is also a fantastic chili recipe, but I don't use so much butter and it freezes into very easy portions.
    http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2014/08/11/end-of-summer-herby-chicken-chili-pot-recipe/
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing 1 can kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can diced tomatoes, and a cup of corn over low heat. Mix in the spices and serve over rice. I really don't miss the beef in this one.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Mine is really easy: one large onion, one large pepper, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 chopped jalapeño, 2 cans of petite diced tomato, 1-2 small chopped zucchini, 1 can of pumpkin purée, adobo, a sazon packet, and about 2-3T chili powder, 1-2T cumin, a little bit of dried oregano and stir in a bit of fresh cilantro at the end. Comes out around 225 calories per 1.5 cup serving.

Oh, and one lb of ground turkey!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My chili evolves. Lately, it has been browning about half a pound of meat (chorizo, ground chuck, Italian sausage, etc) with whole cumin, coriander seeds, about 4 garlic cloves, a diced onion and about 8 oz of various peppers and a good handful of chili powder. Add a cup of dried pintos, (cooked) and 28 oz. Cento petite diced tomatoes.

Makes about 6 cups, roughly 200 calories each.