What's your favorite Chili Recipe?

Options
drepublic
drepublic Posts: 180 Member
My 2nd meal is ground turkey and 1/2 cup of white rice. Thinking of switching it to Chili with ground turkey and beans to hit the carb macro. Just looking for some good chili recipes. :)

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    20 oz ground meat (turkey or beef)
    2 cans black beans
    1 can pumpkin
    2 bell peppers (orange, yellow, or red)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    Spices to taste (paprika, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    2 cans black beans
    1 can pumpkin
    1 can diced tomatoes

I made something similar with ground venison, pumpkin, bell pepper, onion, white beans, oregano, chili powder, and cumin. It was amazing. I did not think to add the cinnamon; I shall try that next time.
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My favorite chili recipe
    2 pounds ground beef or turkey
    1 onion diced
    28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    15 oz. can diced tomatoes no salt added
    2 15 oz. cans of dark red kidney beans
    1 green pepper diced
    1 red pepper diced
    2 cups water
    4 T. chili powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
    1 tsp. salt
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to chili recipe. Sometimes I use ground turkey instead of beef, but it's much better with beef!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/smoky-beef-and-bacon-chili
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    2 cans black beans
    1 can pumpkin
    1 can diced tomatoes

I made something similar with ground venison, pumpkin, bell pepper, onion, white beans, oregano, chili powder, and cumin. It was amazing. I did not think to add the cinnamon; I shall try that next time.

Oooohhh...gonna try with white beans next time. I don't think they sell venison at Stop & Shop, unfortunately :s
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    good thing about chilli is you can pretty much throw anything in the pot. I start with chopped onion, minced beef, canned chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and then anything in the fridge/cupboard - kidney beans, chickpeas, cannelini beans, tinned sweetcorn, chopped peppers, mushroom, carrots and even sweet potato chunks. Add the spices and live the chilli dream :-)
  • _BeBrave
    _BeBrave Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
    4 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    2 pounds ground beef (I prefer the leanest ground turkey I can get)
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
    1 can (14.5 ounces) fire roasted chopped tomato
    1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
    1 cup of water

You have two options...brown the meat, drain the fat and add all ingredients in and stir...let simmer for a couple hours so flavors can develop.

OR my favorite way of doing it (because it breaks down the meat in such a way that it's just freakin fantastic) is throwing it all in a crockpot...stirring it to mix, and setting it to cook on low for 10 hours. If you want to add a can or two of beans to add more protein and fiber, you can do so but you may need to add a bit more water.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This really makes about 8 big servings. Cook the ground chicken and the onion, then dump everything in together to heat through.

oops, see below.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    2 cans black beans
    1 can pumpkin
    1 can diced tomatoes

Oooohhh...gonna try with white beans next time. I don't think they sell venison at Stop & Shop, unfortunately :s

Sadly, we are almost out, but the bf is going hunting over thanksgiving, so we should be restocked shortly.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Okay, i'm still having trouble getting pictures. Trying again.cjin68stw61w.png
    8jcrez7ojxhk.png
  • enicus91
    enicus91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Soy beef crumbles (one bag, equivalent of 1lb beef for meat-eaters)
    1/2 box of Selby's chili powder
    1/2 Cup medium chunky salsa
    2 cans black beans (or w/e you want to use, I just prefer black beans)
    1 can tomato sauce or more depending on how thick you want it
    Add flour + water mixture if it's too watery as well

Makes enough for sixish, depending on how hungry people are. I make a meat version for my friends and family who eat meat, so generally I have enough of this stuff for several meals for myself :D
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    3 cans Butter Beans,3 small cans of stewed tomatoes with jalepenos,3 small cans of tomatoe puree,3 small cans of beef broth,2 lbs ground cooked hamburger-cooked in vinegar,One large diced Onion,2 diced Jalepenos,2 diced Chile peppers,1 packet Tex Mex chili seasoning,crushed red pepper flakes,1 Tbsp cayenne pepper,1 Large Package of Fresh Mushrooms sliced,1 Tbsp of Shrimp and Crab Broil Oil (not powder but oil)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My award winning 3-bean chili...I have several 1st's, 2nd's, and 3rd's with a couple of honorable mentions.

My recipe is posted on food.com. Link follows:

food.com/recipe/three-bean-award-winning-chili-394024
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    pumpkin turkey chili. you do not taste the pumpkin at all. It gives it great richness and dimension.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Turkey-Chili/Detail.aspx?soid=carousel_0_rotd&prop24=rotd
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make "taco chili" once a week. I make a big pot, then the next day turn it into taco night by putting the leftovers in soft tortillas with refried beans on the side. My family all love it. I use evoo, garlic cloves, pinto, red and white beans, ground turkey, onions, green peppers, diced tomatoes, can of fire roasted tomatoes, corn, taco seasoning and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add green Chiles or jalapeños.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's my favorite, but James Beard's turkey chili is delicious and a very timely way of using leftover dark meat. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Chili-20022.
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My FAV vegetarian chili!! Even my meateater family members love it and its sooo easy! Throw it in a crock pot and forget it:-) (I found at ifoodreal.com) I leave out the corn and swap the kidney beans for black.

3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large onion, diced
    1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
    1 cup corn kernels (frozen is OK)
    14 oz can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
    14 oz can any white beans, drained & rinsed
    28 oz can diced tomatoes
    14 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
    2 + 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
    3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked & rinsed
    1+ 1/2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp taco or fajita seasoning, all natural
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup green onions, chopped
    2 avocados, chopped (optional)
    Greek yogurt and Tex Mex shredded cheese, for garnish (optional)

Directions
    1.Stovetop version: Preheat large deep skillet or a dutch oven on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, quinoa, chili powder, taco seasoning, cumin, salt and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 35 - 40 minutes. If you have time, let chili sit for 5 - 10 minutes for flavours to marry each other.
    2.Slow cooker version: Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.Transfer to a large slow cooker along with corn, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, quinoa, chili powder, taco seasoning, cumin and salt. Stir, cover and cook on Low for 6 - 8 hours or on High for 3 - 4 hours.
    3.Serve hot garnished with avocado, Greek yogurt, cheese, cilantro and green onions (use whatever you have). Chili tastes even better the next day. This chili is mild enough for the kids. Add more heat with extra chili powder, taco seasoning, diced green chiles or jalapenos.

Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving = 1 + 2/3 cups:
    Calories: 322.0
    Total Fat: 5.8 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 892.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 58.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 13.7 g
    Protein: 15.2 g
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    500 grams of ground beef
    diced onion
    garlic clove
    hot chilli powder
    fresh chillis
    cummin
    cinnamon
    tomato puree
    tin of chopped tomatoes
    - Then just let it simmer - for a real tasty chilli (don't drain the fat off the beef).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    bump ! yum !

actually where on earth do I find posts I've 'bumped' to come back to later? I can't figure it out.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    White Bean Chicken Chili - I use a can or two of chicken broth. I like to make it a bit Thai flavored by adding a can of coconut milk just before serving and finishing it off with a dollop of sour cream and a garnish of fresh cilantro.