Shakeology question!

Options
1235»

Replies

• F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just finished my bag of shako about a week or 2 ago. I miss it. But, I don't think spending that much on a shake is worth it. Yeah, I felt good, but I found that it was more my mindset rather then the shakes helping me. They taste great, I had the chocolate one. It only has 17g of protein whereas my shakes now have 30g. I guess it just depends on if you an afford it. If you can go for it. If you're tight on cash, it's not worth spending the extra $$$.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about Shakeology and have appropriate antipathy to the MLM business model, but I don't understand how using meal replacement shakes is a moral failing. I am in a hospital-sponsored meal replacement focused (1 meal + 4 meal replacements/day) weight loss plan which includes shakes. I don't think there is anything magic in them, but I do think it is a means of consuming very nutrient dense calories that facilitates a lower calorie, quicker, nutritionally sound weight loss diet than I could likely achieve without meal replacements. I have been on it 3 months and am down 36 pounds. I intend to stay on it the balance of the year and then transition to a normal, slower calorie reduction plan. The positive reinforcement of a successful meal replacement plan makes me far more confident that I will continue to succeed when I stop the meal replacements.
  • MCC28
    MCC28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally love Shakeology!!! I am only a coach so I can purchase the products at a lower cost. I have had a greenberry shake every morning for about 3-4 years now. I swear by it. It's a great way to start my day. The only thing I don't like is the price but in all reality what's $3.00 a day for your health? They have a 30 day money back guarantee so what do you have to lose? I like their other work out products too :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    leodru wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    OP expect 25% helpful (or answer the question) and 75% troll - it's the way this site works these days.

So those of us who don't believe that shakes are a helpful tool for sustainable weight loss are trolls? Those of us who believe in eating real food and exercising regularly and, you know, doing the hard work day in and day out are trolls?

Um, ok. Good luck on your journey.

Notice how you identified with being a troll? I never said that to you instead you took it and labeled yourself that way. Interesting that people who aren't troll take offence to referring to trolls. Good luck on your journey as well.

Well, since 75% of the responses on here have stated they don't think shakeology is a good option, I just made an assumption. I'm far from a troll, but you would be amazed about how quickly people here are called trolls just for asserting an opinion. Passive aggressive is passive aggressive.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    OP expect 25% helpful (or answer the question) and 75% troll - it's the way this site works these days.

So those of us who don't believe that shakes are a helpful tool for sustainable weight loss are trolls? Those of us who believe in eating real food and exercising regularly and, you know, doing the hard work day in and day out are trolls?

Um, ok. Good luck on your journey.

Notice how you identified with being a troll? I never said that to you instead you took it and labeled yourself that way. Interesting that people who aren't troll take offence to referring to trolls. Good luck on your journey as well.

It's because those that disagree with an OP, or give advice an OP that has already made up their mind (as proven here) are called trolls.....then said "trolls" are complained about in a mean people tread on Friday.

It's pretty par for the course on MFP and easy to tell who's being referred to as trolls and who's not.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Shakeology and I don't think I will only because I have found other protein shakes that have at least 20g of protein. My personal favorite is the natural flavor Bio Chemo (20g protein), it is plain you have and I mean have to doctor it up! I use fruit and Stevie, or cocoa powder and peanut butter and sometimes even instant coffee. I also always put in flaxseed oil and ground flaxseed. I have also tried Jay Robb protein whey in chocolate(I think it's closer to 25g protein), it uses Stevie to sweeten and is personally way too sweet for me. I have to put in a lot of ice/ to filter out how sweet it is. I can get a very large bin that lasts me almost 2 months for $50 for the bio chem from whole foods. I don't really believe the hype for shakeology however would love to try the workouts. I like to research and find alternatives that are more my price range. I also take vitamins every morning with my shake so I don't need them within my shake. I have found in my years of trying to be healthy and lose weight ,the less I do of the latest and greatest the better I actually do in being healthy. Good luck to you!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ***I also meant to put STEVIA!
  • Sauniks
    Sauniks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Alright here's an honest review no matter how late I am (>.<). I've been regularly consuming it since May and I've had good an bad experiences with it but the benefits outweigh the dis-benefits (presently). When I first started taking it, I would replace my breakfast with it. Coming to work in the morning, I'd have a much higher energy level than before. What also surprised me about it is that it I no longer felt hungry in between breakfast and lunch. This shake is the most filling I've ever had. Over time, my complexion improved, acne reduced, and overall health seemed to improve. I got the flu once since then but had a really quick recovery. I'm unsure if the shake helped with that but I wouldn't doubt it. I also use it to cure hangovers sometimes :P. But anyways, I love it. The only bad things I've seen is some mornings, it makes me a little queasey but I am also dehydrated when that happens too. The queaseyness goes away once I hydrate however. The only other bad things is it makes my hair grow faster (which isn't really a bad thing) and makes my urine smell like peanut butter right after consuming it (weird but interesting side effect). Honestly, from what I've seen, everyone has a different reaction to this shake. All of these reviews are helpful but you really won't know how it affects you until you try it. Hope this helps!
  • raythrasher
    raythrasher Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started shakeology over a year ago because my Cholesterol and Triglycerides were high and Heart Disease runs in my family. My doctor wanted to put me on Crestor (a Statin drug) to lower my cholesterol. I was eating pretty decent at the time and was at a healthy weight due to increased exercise and using MFP to plan and track my nutrition but my numbers were still too high. So an MFP friend of mine suggested I try Shakeology. So I tried it as an experiment instead of taking the doctor prescribed meds. It was easy to incorporate into my lifestyle by replacing B'fast with a smoothie made from Water, Ice, Chocolate Shakelogy, Whey Protein Powder, and Almond/peanut butter. After 3 months I had my blood lipids tested again. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels were normal and my doctor said to keep doing what I was doing and that I had no need for medications. I am still using it everyday and will likely never stop.

Regarding other benfits. For me, I did not see a significant surge in energy or better sleep. I did see a reduction in cravings and was able to easily kick my daily (many times a day) diet soda habit of over 20 years.

I think the best thing about shakeology is what it does on the inside of your body.

Like others have suggested, I think you should try it and form your own opinions.
  • passionately_kate
    passionately_kate Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have tried shakeology and have been drinking it full time since January :smile: I've formed my own opinion and have come to the conclusion that I am willing to spend that kind of of money because I've noticed a few things... My sleep has improved (I used to be restless 20-25 times a night), my cravings are almost GONE which is nice because I used to crave chocolate and fast food almost everyday and if I had cheat days, than I would spiral out of control and have to work my butt off to get back on track. I have more energy in the day from sleeping better but also, after I drink my shake it gives me energy. It's an awesome quick to go drink that I put peanut butter in to make it chocolate peanut butter and I over all feel healthier! The sleep and the energy were the seller for me! :smile: I have also started the beachbody work outs and am very much enjoying those...which surprises me because I used to think I hated working out! turns out I hated working out at a gym lol Thanks for all the input! I guess sometimes the best way to form an opinion of something, is to try if for yourself...and that's exactly what I did :smile: :wink:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Thread_NecroRD.jpg

So I assume the above post means you're now a "coach"?
  • passionately_kate
    Options
    No, I just like the product
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Seriously?? 2 years later?
  • passionately_kate
    Options
    lol I'm rarely on mfp anymore
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's crazy expensive and crazy gross. To me, it tastes like someone took a multivitamin and crushed it up and dumped it into some chocolate dirt and added water. Like vitamin mud basically.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Can I get real reviews and not just opinions please? thanks :smile:

It's an expensive (poor) protein shake plus a (poor) vitamin/mineral supplement with a bunch of other ingredients that have been scientifically tested to do...,,nothing. You're better off purchasing a better protein powder and a multi vitamin/mineral as you'd have more money left over. Shakeo is a waste of money from a nutrition standpoint. Snake oil.

Look if you want to spend your money on an inferior product (it is even less nutritious than ensure), instead of taking the advice here (of finding something more nutritious for less $$), then why did you ask about it? Of course you're going to get both sides of a coin when you ask a question on a public board.. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Thread_NecroRD.jpg

Not once, but twice!

Shakeology didn't improve any with age. ;)