Can some food spike your metabolism?

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Possibility #1: You inadvertently lowered your calories elsewhere in your diet.
    Possibility #2: The excess calories put you at a calorie surplus, which you have used to build muscle (only possible if this has happened over time and if you've been doing strength training).
    Possibility #3: If you changed any other foods in your diet, it's possible you were mis-logging some of them.
    Possibility #4: Weight fluctuates a lot.
    Possibility #5: You have inadvertently been more active.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    YES! certain combos of diet and certain types of exercise can absolutely spike your metabolism.
    Please elaborate.

Of course, send me a private message proving that you are serious about the question you asked. Then I'll decide if I'll elaborate.

Or were you expecting for me to fall for the old "Reply to the seemingly serious question on the general forum so the strawman-baiters and everything-debunkers can sprinkle themselves all over this thread all the while claiming they have a wealth of scientific knowledge and education as evidence by an endless string of Gif's and links to appallingly poor evidence".

Naw. Let's try something new for a change.

I just want to point out that when people ask to take a conversation to PM it sure looks like spam.

Then flag the post.

I think you mean report the post, since the stickies at the top of the boards clearly point out that spam flags should be reserved for bot-style spam only.
  • edmarymom
    edmarymom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will increase your metabolism is to increase your lean muscle mass. don't have to be a body builder, just workout (yes walking works) on a consistent basis and over time you will build more muscle.
  • BeautifulScars
    BeautifulScars Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, this escalated quickly.....
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    YES! certain combos of diet and certain types of exercise can absolutely spike your metabolism.
    Please elaborate.

Of course, send me a private message proving that you are serious about the question you asked. Then I'll decide if I'll elaborate.

Or were you expecting for me to fall for the old "Reply to the seemingly serious question on the general forum so the strawman-baiters and everything-debunkers can sprinkle themselves all over this thread all the while claiming they have a wealth of scientific knowledge and education as evidence by an endless string of Gif's and links to appallingly poor evidence".

I just want to point out that when people ask to take a conversation to PM it sure looks like spam.

Then flag the post.

lol. Flame baiting yourself. That's cute.

Until you actually attempt to sell something there's no point. Instead, the more appropriate action is to the signal the patterned behavior that's been previously observed by others.

Trying to hide the conversation for the sake of....what again?....is suspicious. If you don't want to back to up your statements in a public forum, don't make the claim in a public forum. It's almost as bad as vague-booking.

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Please elaborate.

Making claims and then refusing to back up what data you based them on isn't exactly something new either.

ETA: OP I was losing way way faster than I expected (more than 2/week) and someone suggested I might be losing muscle alongside fat so to eat more. I hadn't thought of that so thought I would mention it to you cause I am pretty sure none of us want to be dropping muscle. You'd have to look into this as I am not sure but I think so long as you are not at too big a deficit muscle loss is not a huge concern. I didn't think I was eating too little at all as I was eating more than even what MFP told me to for 2 lb a week loss, but if metabolism DOES happen to be up over average for some reason MFP numbers aren't going to be accurate anyway. Just some food for thought.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate.

Making claims and then refusing to back up what data you based them on isn't exactly something new either.

hold on maybe this is like the new steven person. Only one way to find out.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    edmarymom wrote: »
    The only thing that will increase your metabolism is to increase your lean muscle mass. don't have to be a body builder, just workout (yes walking works) on a consistent basis and over time you will build more muscle.

This confuses me. I thought you couldn't gain muscle in a deficit. Does just getting stronger have this benefit?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Translation: "I don't know jack **** but if you'll PM me, I'll try and sell you something."

No need to get all worked up. I must have really made you feel threatened by that post. Ok, just so everyone calms down and people don't lose their cool, no need to PM me.

Because there is no such thing. People losing there cool. I am laughing FYI.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I think you need to eat negative calorie foods

like pizza and cake...

• yopeeps025
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    edmarymom wrote: »

This confuses me. I thought you couldn't gain muscle in a deficit. Does just getting stronger have this benefit?

getting stronger =/= more lean body mass. While I am here what muscles do you build walking on a regular basis?
  • dunsterj
    dunsterj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is that your scale uses batteries, which are weakening and providing false readings. Mine has done that.

Have you checked your weight on more than one scale?
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nope, your nut intake and weightloss was a coincidence.

Since you are a numbers guy, you should realize that this magical thing people call metabolism is just your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You can increase it by gaining muscle (wouldn't have made a noticeable difference in the couple of days), gaining weight in general, moving more or running hot. (Spike a fever and you'll burn more calories. Obviously, it is very uncomfortable and generally not healthy or advised.)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Translation: "I don't know jack **** but if you'll PM me, I'll try and sell you something."

No need to get all worked up.

Not worked up at all.

Just spotting and tagging for the lurkers, that's all.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

No need to get all worked up. I must have really made you feel threatened by that post. Ok, just so everyone calms down and people don't lose their cool, no need to PM me.

Ok, the lack of understanding sarcasm is getting boring. You guys used to be better at this.

well how can someone with 75 post be knowing for sarcastic post?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OP I know you said you added calories. Is it possible you miscalculated? I find fatty foods like nuts sometimes fill me up longer and I actually eat less calories. I am not doubting you, just that I haven't heard of losing by eating more.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ok, the lack of understanding sarcasm is getting boring. You guys used to be better at this.

well how can someone with 75 post be knowing for sarcastic post?

Ok fair enough, I'll let up on you guys for now. Just because this is turning into a hijack-athon. Let's get the thread back on track. Go ahead. Proceed to negate effects of diet on metabolism so you can "save" the OP from false claims. I shall graciously stand aside. I'll see you on some other thread.

once a troll always a troll.

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OP I know you said you added calories. Is it possible you miscalculated? I find fatty foods like nuts sometimes fill me up longer and I actually eat less calories. I am not doubting you, just that I haven't heard of losing by eating more.

He may have been in too much of a deficit and adding more calories might have helped with some of the weight loss.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

He may have been in too much of a deficit and adding more calories might have helped with some of the weight loss.

Biology doesn't work that way. "Too much of a deficit" results in rapid weight loss - always.