Can some food spike your metabolism?

Options
I'm a numbers guy so I understand its all about the numbers and creating a calorie deficit.

Despite that, I've recently added a few hundred calories of nuts and dried fruit to my usual diet each day and during that time (3 weeks) I suddenly seem to be losing weight faster than I figured I would. I was scared I would stop losing altogether so I was watching it closely and keep being pleasantly surprised with the weight loss.

Is it possible some foods speed up metabolism or something - kind of like mixing up your workouts? I otherwise tend to eat a lot of the same foods each day to keep things predictable. I was actually starting to slow down in my weight loss and now the weight is dropping off faster again. Weird. Just wondering if that rings true at all for others. Thanks.

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just needed more fats in your diet? I don't know if it boosts metabolism.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's no food that I am aware of that will speed up a metabolism unless it's something with a megadose of caffeine. I only even say that because it's what all the "diet" pills in the 80s had in them and all they ever did was make me jittery and nauseous.

I'd guess the sudden drop is just coincidence. Have you changed anything else in the last three weeks? Are the fruits and nuts just making you feel less hungry so you're eating less overall?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the few hundred extra cals gave you more energy thus you were more active/energetic than you were previously.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    YES! certain combos of diet and certain types of exercise can absolutely spike your metabolism.
    Please elaborate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    YES! certain combos of diet and certain types of exercise can absolutely spike your metabolism.
    How can you state this and not give examples?
  • bonniemasson
    bonniemasson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been lead to believe that a cup of Green Tea between half and hour to an hour after a meal can increase the speed of the breakdown of food in your stomach. Not sure if it actually increases metabolism (maybe because of the caffeine) or if it just helps the physical breakdown in the stomach. May need further research to corroborate that!
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Inadequate (healthy) fat intake is a problem for many people trying to lose weight. Fats provide the building blocks for some of the most powerful hormones in our bodies. Nuts and seeds not only have plenty of good fats, but are loaded with trace minerals too, which can also have an effect on hormone production, which in turn can affect weight loss, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

I recently adjusted my macros from 40/40/20 pro/carbs/fat to 40/30/30. I expect to lose weight faster and feel more satiated during the day at the same calorie count.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been lead to believe that a cup of Green Tea between half and hour to an hour after a meal can increase the speed of the breakdown of food in your stomach. Not sure if it actually increases metabolism (maybe because of the caffeine) or if it just helps the physical breakdown in the stomach. May need further research to corroborate that!

Why would you want the food in your stomach to digest faster? You would just be hungry again sooner, right? Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand your post.

I find making a cup of green tea to be good for filling my stomach and keeping me busy when I'm not truly hungry, but that's about it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know. It's a nice idea!!

If it works for you, it works!!!

Congrats on the loss. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I know about the type of exercises that do this. What type of diet are you talking about? If I have never read this then there is no such thing. I spend months of research on metabolism.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Oh, easy. By just typing the sentence on to the keyboard and hitting Post Reply

Seems legit.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    cow thyroid????? just a wild guess
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Please elaborate.

Of course, send me a private message proving that you are serious about the question you asked. Then I'll decide if I'll elaborate.

Or were you expecting for me to fall for the old "Reply to the seemingly serious question on the general forum so the strawman-baiters and everything-debunkers can sprinkle themselves all over this thread all the while claiming they have a wealth of scientific knowledge and education as evidence by an endless string of Gif's and links to appallingly poor evidence".

Naw. Let's try something new for a change.

It is ok you made claims. People call you out and you have nothing to back it up. Not open to a discussion on a forum. What exactly are you doing?

• yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Please elaborate.

Of course, send me a private message proving that you are serious about the question you asked. Then I'll decide if I'll elaborate.

Or were you expecting for me to fall for the old "Reply to the seemingly serious question on the general forum so the strawman-baiters and everything-debunkers can sprinkle themselves all over this thread all the while claiming they have a wealth of scientific knowledge and education as evidence by an endless string of Gif's and links to appallingly poor evidence".

It is ok you made claims. People call you out and you have nothing to back it up. Not open to a discussion on a forum. What exactly are you doing?

You have 4029 posts. And you're pretending you don't know what goes on?

I have 4030 post and you are about to teach me something new right. Foods that spike metabolism. You want it to be done in a private message because???????

There is no such thing

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate.

Nope. You made a claim. I'm interested whether you could back it up.
    Apparently you can't so I'll just assume you can't and ignore it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate.

I just want to point out that when people ask to take a conversation to PM it sure looks like spam.

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate.

Nope. You made a claim. I'm interested whether you could back it up.
    Apparently you can't so I'll just assume you can't and ignore it.

That or they're selling something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Translation: "I don't know jack **** but if you'll PM me, I'll try and sell you something."