Movie You May Not Have Seen

Options
StopherJJMFP
StopherJJMFP Posts: 289 Member
edited November 2014 in Chit-Chat
Okay, so I love movies! I watch probably 10+ a week easily. I also watch a lot of movies that most people haven't heard of. I decided to start sharing that mad knowledge with anyone who wants to listen. I also encourage anyone else to add to the list anytime. I don't want to see Star Wars, The Godfather or things like that on here, this is for those forgotten films that are classic in their own right.

I'm going to start with Now, Voyager a great film made in 1942(please don't let that scare you, I know a lot of people are afraid of Black & White, Silent or Foreign Films and I used to be one of them but they have so much to offer!

Now, Voyager
Quint essential Bette Davis, this film offers so much and while it's considered a drama/romance there is even more to it. I could ramble on about how it changed my views on Davis or I could give you a major plot description but I'll let imdb do that for me.
imdb.com/title/tt0035140/

Please feel free to add to the list, I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

Replies

• MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    The Way, Way Back. Someone trite storyline, but a great cast. Imagine Steve Carell as the 'dickish stepdad'... he's great in the role of a character you like to dislike.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    I LOVED The Way, Way Back! I saw it in theaters and then bought it the day it came out! Such an underrated film, I think Carell's Foxcatcher will be the same way this year.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Hopefully many know this movie...but since we're talking vintage films.

Bringing Up Baby

Classic Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant and absolutely hilarious. A great date night movie, or when you want a laugh.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    If you wanna go 'old school', one of my favorite comedies of all-time is Mr. Roberts. Fonda, Cagney, Powell, and one of Jack Lemmon's 1st movie roles. HBO did a play-version of it in the 80s with Robert Hays (Airplane) as Mr. Roberts. Ens. Pulver is such a great character. And 'Doc' is great

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048380/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_74
  • kangakev
    kangakev Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I liked "Thirst" a Korean movie made in 2008. Subtitled into English. A young priest gets a diseased blood transfusion that turns him into a vampire. Because he is a man of god...he cannot kill...so steals from blood banks for his blood to drink. He falls for this woman...at her request makes her a vampire...but she goes on a wild killing spree, enjoying her power. He realises he must stop her...so he tricks her into going to an isolated place with no cover...and they die together as the morning sun rises.
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Bringing Up Baby is one of my all time favorites! It's hard to go wrong with Katherine Hepburn! Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Holiday, Adam's Rib, The African Queen, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and sooooo many more!
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Just added Mr. Roberts to my Netflix queue! Sounds like a classic!
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    I bought Thirst sight unseen at the request of one of my friends. I haven't gotten to see it yet but I've heard so many great things about it!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Kelley's Hereos. One of my favorite movies. Telly Savales, Clint Eastwood, Don Rickles to name a few.
  • GordieLaChance
    Options
    LOVE this flick.

moon.jpg
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Added Kelley's Hereos as well! Seems like a great film! I'm glad to know I'm not the only person out there that enjoys quality films!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Only obscure if you didn't grow up in the 80s..

real-genius.16835.jpg
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Moon has been in my queue for quite some time. It looks like it's time to move it up a bit! :smile:
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Oh wow! I haven't seen Real Genius FOREVER!!! Bonus point for retro flick!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Dogville
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I second the movie Moon!!!
  • kangakev
    kangakev Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    They shoot horses don't they? (1969) jane fonda as I recall
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My Favorite Toni Morrison book......amazingly beautifully written

The Bluest Eye is a 1970 novel by American author Toni Morrison. It is Morrison's first novel and was written while she was teaching at Howard University and raising her two sons on her own.[1] The story is about a year in the life of a young black girl named Pecola who develops an inferiority complex due to her eye color and skin appearance. It is set in Lorain, Ohio, against the backdrop of America's Midwest during the years following the Great Depression. The point of view switches between the perspective of Claudia MacTeer, as a child and as an adult, and a third-person omniscient viewpoint. Because of the controversial nature of the book, which deals with racism, incest, and child molestation, there have been numerous attempts to ban it from schools and librarie
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Ugh! I loathe Lars von Trier, Dancer In The Dark is his only film I've truly enjoyed. I'm in the middle of watching The Kingdom mini-series now and still need to watch Nymphomaniac I & II. Dogville would be the only other one I haven't seen! I guess I need to do it lol.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sorry I say book but there was a movie made based on it I cannot remember the title