Is this real life?????

Options
MrM27
MrM27 Posts: 18,355 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html
An obese mother-of-two who lives on benefits says she needs more of taxpayers' money to overhaul her unhealthy lifestyle.

Christina Briggs, 26, from Wigan, says she hates being 25 stone but she can't do anything about it because she can only afford junk food. Meanwhile, exercise is out of the question because she doesn't have the funds to join a gym.

Discuss.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well then.......disregard.

Or re-discuss.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Is this just fantasy?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Or re-discuss.
    We don't ever re-discuss things on MFP
    no no. Not allowed.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes, Real Life! I can understand her reasoning. I recently was without a car and needed to shop close to my home at large well known supermarket and I left the store disgusted and angry at the choices. Junk food is always on sale and anything decent is not priced to sell to the masses. There happened to be some fireman shopping - very healthily and I commented to them that I thought they should shop at the store I usually go to because I did not feel that shopping there was the best use of my tax dollars :) Of course this women needs some education on eating better!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hogwash!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Meh! Folk have been awarded additional benefits previously for being alcohol dependant. Or classed as having a disability due to substance misuse.. Additionally my GP surgery offers free gym memberships to some people who are obese & unemployed.. All highly surreal..
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Or re-discuss.
    We don't ever re-discuss things on MFP

YMMS!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Good societal investment to reduce her weight to 65kg.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html
    An obese mother-of-two who lives on benefits says she needs more of taxpayers' money to overhaul her unhealthy lifestyle.

Christina Briggs, 26, from Wigan, says she hates being 25 stone but she can't do anything about it because she can only afford junk food. Meanwhile, exercise is out of the question because she doesn't have the funds to join a gym.

Discuss.

It's *kitten*. There is no junk food cheaper than rice + lentils, which are supremely cheap.

True dat. Red beans and rice are a staple in many poor homes in the Deep South.

Yep, there's another.

Cheap, nutritious, and trivial to prepare.

No excuses....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sadly in the UK this is not an isolated case. We have a very soft welfare system over here and a lot of people on them or living close to the the bread line will opt for cheap junk food!

No, they are not all like this woman but they're not far off. This case has probably been sensationalized a bit (well it is in the Daily Mail).

But the sad truth is many people like this will never accept accountability for their position or size and as such will not change!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Discuss.

It's *kitten*. There is no junk food cheaper than rice + lentils, which are supremely cheap.

Rice is junk food!!!!

But that aside - box of rice just over a £1. Value beans and value bread - Under a £1.

So a quick evening meal of a bowl of rice is more expensive than beans on toast. I would guess a family on the breadline with kids would probably opt for the beans on toast.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited November 2014
    Options

Discuss.

Rice is junk food!!!!

But that aside - box of rice just over a £1. Value beans and value bread - Under a £1.

So a quick evening meal of a bowl of rice is more expensive than beans on toast. I would guess a family on the breadline with kids would probably opt for the beans on toast.
    Lol

Thought you'd like that one! Bagels are as well!

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Discuss.

Rice is junk food!!!!

Smartprice rice is 30p a kilo.
    I don't know what kind of fancy, rich people rice you're eating.

ETA: also Baked beans are really expensive now, like 35p a tin.
    Hah, you're not poor at all, are you?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Hahaha. Wow. Well, my supermarket deli sells meals. Granted I don't know what's in them, but I can SEE it's not "junk". They plate combinations like [rice, roasted vegetables, pork loin chops and roasted potato], [a small slice of chicken pie, rice, roasted veg, and a salad] , [roast beef, cheesy veggies, rice, and salad] and many more combinations.

That's not "junk" food at all and it's only like $2 for a massive plate of food. If I would cook that food myself that price would not even cover my electricity. I mean you don't need dinner if you've eaten that for lunch it about covers your calories for the day. Well mine. But I'm mouse sized. So to poor for healthy food? I don't know about that.