Options

Replies

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Some people have absolutely no clue.

I agree.

For example, do you know why she buys the way she does? Do you know if she has the requisite knowledge, ability or health to make all of her food by hand?

How do you know that giving her unlimited wealth would produce no change? How do you know there isn't an education problem?

See, it's posts like these why I will never vote republican.

LOL, actually it's posts like this that make me more likely to vote republican. Ignorance is no excuse. She knows there's a problem but expects the rest of us to fix it. We just don't hold people responsible to do for themselves.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Excuses and disgusting. Get off your fat butt and get a job.

You're a nurse and have an attitude like that? In nursing school, I was taught to be caring and have empathy. I guess they taught how to be rude and apathetic at yours? :|
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The problem is both of you think voting one way or the other will solve it.

seriously- a 2 party system - that's the best we have? that's why it will never work- the best we have comes from a money driven 2 party system.
    -
    think bigger.
    or in her case- smaller.

I voted Libertarian.

yes I know- I straight trolled. It's Friday afternoon at 130. I need this.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The problem is both of you think voting one way or the other will solve it.

seriously- a 2 party system - that's the best we have? that's why it will never work- the best we have comes from a money driven 2 party system.
    -
    think bigger.
    or in her case- smaller.

I voted Libertarian.

yes I know- I straight trolled. It's Friday afternoon at 130. I need this.

Move to Somalia, it's 100% Libertarian paradise.
    (just playing along)

• JoRocka
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

(just playing along)

I think they have a liberal gun policy there too- and some sort of weird fruits. I'll consider it. although- I'll have to work on my tan. I'm wildly pasty.
  • sofaking6
    Options

(just playing along)

I think they have a liberal gun policy there too- and some sort of weird fruits. I'll consider it. although- I'll have to work on my tan. I'm wildly pasty.

Well if you get sunburned don't come running to me for some aloe. Personal responsibility etc.

I am also wildly pasty, I moved to San Diego specifically in order to avoid sun at all costs.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I agree.

For example, do you know why she buys the way she does? Do you know if she has the requisite knowledge, ability or health to make all of her food by hand?

How do you know that giving her unlimited wealth would produce no change? How do you know there isn't an education problem?

I agree with you to a point.

I believe the problem is much deeper than not having the money to buy healthier options because clearly she has the money to purchase hair dye and tattoos (which are not cheap).

The problem is that this woman is most likely uneducated in all aspects of nutrition. She does not know why it's important to eat nutrient-dense foods. She does not know how to practice moderation.

I do not believe giving this woman more money would change a thing. We would just enable her more doing so. We are already enabling her by giving her a check every month. This woman thinks she is entitled to the money she receives from the government. Giving her more money is a short-term treatment. Providing her with the resources she so desperately needs is a long-term treatment.

This woman needs a doctor who is going to make her aware of the health complications caused by obesity. She needs a registered dietician who will make her aware of why proper nutrition is vital. Maybe she even needs a psychiatrist/psychologist to talk to about life problems. Most people overeat for an emotional reason. This woman was a teen parent. Her child has medical problems. And she's morbidly obese. I am sure she is experiencing emotional distress.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Every time someone clicks on a Daily Mail link a fairy dies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I recall being on a welfare budget without a car. It takes ingenuity to build the flexibility in such a budget to take advantage of sales. (If you've got 100 dollars and you are hungry, you will get your staples no matter what the price). There are resources like community kitchens that can help a struggling family get a leg up. Cook in bulk, stock the freezer, and presto-bango, you've got extra cash when tuna or chicken thighs go on sale.

I sometimes cringe when I see an obviously low-income setup go through the till. I once witnessed a family buy a huge bag of dog food and a case of Kraft Dinner. That was it.

Dry beans and lentils are the unsung heroes for low-income families.
  • JoRocka
    Options

(just playing along)

Well if you get sunburned don't come running to me for some aloe. Personal responsibility etc.

I am also wildly pasty, I moved to San Diego specifically in order to avoid sun at all costs.

I have taken up indoor hobbies to avoid the sun. Well- not true- my outdoor hobbies = riding horses (but not so much any more) and a motorcycle which includes full gear and /or a full leather power ranger suit/helmet- and I'd just sun block my neck.
    Other wise- lifting heavy things- sewing costumes- and dancing all take place in doors.

no need for sun.

I'm sure some gunslinger in Somlia needs a well beaded rifle strap- I can make a living in doors. If not I'll petition the gubment for not supplying me with the proper sunblock- because obviously it'll be their fault I'm burning.
  • gwenloren
    gwenloren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is this just fantasy?

its not the real thing
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I agree.

LOL, actually it's posts like this that make me more likely to vote republican. Ignorance is no excuse. She knows there's a problem but expects the rest of us to fix it. We just don't hold people responsible to do for themselves.
    Seriously, thinking about respecting a person's needs makes you more prone to actively working against them? Good job.
  • dbmata
    Options

(just playing along)

I'm all about liberal gun laws.
    I really chafe at needing a piece of paper to carry concealed. Vermont has it right.

On the political thing: Neither part is good, but Repugs are known for actively working against people's needs. I'm not a party liner, but I do know that I don't mix well with certain types.

This last go round I voted against every incumbent... so what's that, chaos party? ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Because she used the word "stone" I am choosing to believe this is not taking place in the US and thus is none of my business and I don't have to care. So I won't.

If however, this were happening in a place I needed to care about like California or 'merica, I'd use the language she uses as troll like attempts to seek attention (albeit on a media venue) as an excuse to ignore her ill logic and spoiled demands as nothing more than seeking to somehow better her situation through media exposure.

TL;DR

IDC
  • dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options

I agree.

I agree with you to a point.

I believe the problem is much deeper than not having the money to buy healthier options because clearly she has the money to purchase hair dye and tattoos (which are not cheap).

The problem is that this woman is most likely uneducated in all aspects of nutrition. She does not know why it's important to eat nutrient-dense foods. She does not know how to practice moderation.

I do not believe giving this woman more money would change a thing. We would just enable her more doing so. We are already enabling her by giving her a check every month. This woman thinks she is entitled to the money she receives from the government. Giving her more money is a short-term treatment. Providing her with the resources she so desperately needs is a long-term treatment.

This woman needs a doctor who is going to make her aware of the health complications caused by obesity. She needs a registered dietician who will make her aware of why proper nutrition is vital. Maybe she even needs a psychiatrist/psychologist to talk to about life problems. Most people overeat for an emotional reason. This woman was a teen parent. Her child has medical problems. And she's morbidly obese. I am sure she is experiencing emotional distress.

"The problem is that this woman is most likely uneducated in all aspects of nutrition." - That's precisely why I mentioned education, moderation falls in with education as well.

I never suggested giving her unlimited wealth was the answer. I asked how does the poster KNOW as in, has factual proof, that nothing would change. They spoke out of their b hole, and I called them on it.

Yes, giving her money is palliative, but what is needed is an investment in both her health and her education. She needs help. Instead, people are going to flap their silly little faces over, "ermagerds, dey spending all my taxizzz."

She needs health and educational support, that investment will solve the issue at hand, and reduce future health costs due to her physical status.

ETA - it's hard for people to think beyond the short term that they see. It requires effort to look at what long term investment potentials can be, which is why people tend to just have a knee jerk reaction, make an angry tweet, and flit off to the next daily mail article to get indignant about.
  • sofaking6
    Options

(just playing along)

I have taken up indoor hobbies to avoid the sun. Well- not true- my outdoor hobbies = riding horses (but not so much any more) and a motorcycle which includes full gear and /or a full leather power ranger suit/helmet- and I'd just sun block my neck.
    Other wise- lifting heavy things- sewing costumes- and dancing all take place in doors.

no need for sun.

I'm sure some gunslinger in Somlia needs a well beaded rifle strap- I can make a living in doors. If not I'll petition the gubment for not supplying me with the proper sunblock- because obviously it'll be their fault I'm burning.

You could always sue a warlord. Man I have always wanted to sue a warlord. From far away.

OMG @Tigersword that is gorgeous.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If she wants the Gov't to help fund her life, then I'd arrange the Gov't to dictate her food purchases that don't allow her to buy all the crap. Those chips she has are like $4 / bag. No way that's cheaper than brown rice per weight.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I agree.

Yes, to all of this ^

I cringe when I read that she should simply buy fresh produce and rice and beans...problem solved. Where I live the poor are greatly hampered by a lack of transportation. If you have to find groceries within walking or biking distance of where the poor live, you'll have to settle for shopping at a gas station convenience store. I've never seen a sack of rice or dried beans at a 7-11.

Not saying that this is her problem, but you never know.

• JoRocka
    Options

(just playing along)

no need for sun.

You could always sue a warlord. Man I have always wanted to sue a warlord. From far away.

OMG @Tigersword that is gorgeous.

I'm aiming to BE a warlord- so I would only sue them in attempt to money grab all their land wealth and women.

Because that's all that matters as a warlord anyway.

and a steady supply of cocaine to sell. But- seems that 40-50% of their export is actually live stock- so perhaps the cocaine sales will only supplement my livestock sales.

So land (caveat- for livestock) wealth and women.