Is this real life?????

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Rice is junk food!!!!

That's why it's a staple of the healthiest populations in the world.

I like rice but for me it still falls into this category!

'Junk foods typically contain high levels of calories from sugar or fat with little protein, vitamins or minerals.'
    Yeah, nice logic there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html
    An obese mother-of-two who lives on benefits says she needs more of taxpayers' money to overhaul her unhealthy lifestyle.

Christina Briggs, 26, from Wigan, says she hates being 25 stone but she can't do anything about it because she can only afford junk food. Meanwhile, exercise is out of the question because she doesn't have the funds to join a gym.

Discuss.

It's *kitten*. There is no junk food cheaper than rice + lentils, which are supremely cheap.

Rice is junk food!!!!

But that aside - box of rice just over a £1. Value beans and value bread - Under a £1.

So a quick evening meal of a bowl of rice is more expensive than beans on toast. I would guess a family on the breadline with kids would probably opt for the beans on toast.

Smartprice rice is 30p a kilo.
    I don't know what kind of fancy, rich people rice you're eating.

ETA: also Baked beans are really expensive now, like 35p a tin.
    Hah, you're not poor at all, are you?

beans come in a bag dry- nothing cheaper than bagged up beans and a big ole bag of rice.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html
    An obese mother-of-two who lives on benefits says she needs more of taxpayers' money to overhaul her unhealthy lifestyle.

Christina Briggs, 26, from Wigan, says she hates being 25 stone but she can't do anything about it because she can only afford junk food. Meanwhile, exercise is out of the question because she doesn't have the funds to join a gym.

Discuss.

It's *kitten*. There is no junk food cheaper than rice + lentils, which are supremely cheap.

Rice is junk food!!!!

But that aside - box of rice just over a £1. Value beans and value bread - Under a £1.

So a quick evening meal of a bowl of rice is more expensive than beans on toast. I would guess a family on the breadline with kids would probably opt for the beans on toast.

Smartprice rice is 30p a kilo.
    I don't know what kind of fancy, rich people rice you're eating.

ETA: also Baked beans are really expensive now, like 35p a tin.
    Hah, you're not poor at all, are you?

beans come in a bag dry- nothing cheaper than bagged up beans and a big ole bag of rice.

Baked beans, for beans on toast, are something different. Come in a tin, used to be cheap, now hilariously not.
  • dbmata
    Options
    well, it still basically comes in a bag.

You soak the beans from the bag, throw out the beans and boil the bag in the soak water. ;)

Baked beans is beans, water, spices, sugar, tomato paste, and maybe some bacon.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You soak the beans from the bag, throw out the beans and boil the bag in the soak water. ;)

Hah, I think it's lost in translation. Baked beans in England are slightly different to the baked beans you are thinking of.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

No baked are bought in store in a can and are 24p a can!

003238.jpg?v=5?1416587024300%20=1416587024300
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Yes, Real Life! I can understand her reasoning. I recently was without a car and needed to shop close to my home at large well known supermarket and I left the store disgusted and angry at the choices. Junk food is always on sale and anything decent is not priced to sell to the masses. There happened to be some fireman shopping - very healthily and I commented to them that I thought they should shop at the store I usually go to because I did not feel that shopping there was the best use of my tax dollars :) Of course this women needs some education on eating better!

wut?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. the only good thing about this is it reminded me of Charlie Brookers Daily Mail Island (find it on Youtube) Definitely not for the easily offended.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    A crap load of horse *kitten*!! Even with her daughter having medical issues, it is nothing but excuses. I cannot stand lazy people.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Hah, I think it's lost in translation. Baked beans in England are slightly different to the baked beans you are thinking of.

it's possible but I doubt it- we have pre-made baked beans too- and usually it's exactly what was stated- beans- sugar- spices- bacon bits- tomato. usually boiled down or cooked over a longer time frame at lower heat.

And yes- they are like 3-4$ per can for us here- but still- a bag of dried beans- is like 2-3$ for a 1 pound bag- which yields significantly more than a single canned serving of beans.

buying beans via bag or canned- it's always more expensive to have them canned and pre-cooked/seasoned- anywhere.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, Real Life! I can understand her reasoning. I recently was without a car and needed to shop close to my home at large well known supermarket and I left the store disgusted and angry at the choices. Junk food is always on sale and anything decent is not priced to sell to the masses. There happened to be some fireman shopping - very healthily and I commented to them that I thought they should shop at the store I usually go to because I did not feel that shopping there was the best use of my tax dollars :) Of course this women needs some education on eating better!
    The level of derp in the post above is amazing. The idea that you feel you can tell anyone anything about where they shop shows the incredibly high level of delusion you posses.

Should we let her know that I've bought beer with her tax dollars before?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The level of derp in the post above is amazing. The idea that you feel you can tell anyone anything about where they shop shows the incredibly high level of delusion you posses.

Should we let her know that I've bought beer with her tax dollars before?

200.gif
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Excuses and disgusting. Get off your fat butt and get a job.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Excuses and disgusting. Get off your fat butt and get a job.

bless-your-heart.gif
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Some people have absolutely no clue. I look at the amount of crap she had in her cupboard and just shake my head. The dozens of boxes of prepackaged junkfood is NOT cheap! With the money from just one box of that stuff she could buy all kinds of fresh produce, some meat or fish on sale or a big bag of dried beans or lentils. You could give her all the money in the world and she's still going to eat junkfood until she changes her mindset. I went through a period of unemployment and had to cut corners. I learned to shop the sales, make soup and other food from scratch. I still soak my own beans, make my own bread and make large amounts of soups so I can freeze some for use when I don't have time or want to cook.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Some people have absolutely no clue.

I agree.

For example, do you know why she buys the way she does? Do you know if she has the requisite knowledge, ability or health to make all of her food by hand?

How do you know that giving her unlimited wealth would produce no change? How do you know there isn't an education problem?

See, it's posts like these why I will never vote republican.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    audinaries wrote: »
    3v31yn wrote: »
    ...caught in a landslide, no escape from reality

Open your eyes... look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeee

I´m just a poor boy, I need no sympathy ....

'cause I'm easy come, easy go
    Little high little low

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    celestlyn wrote: »
    Some people have absolutely no clue. I look at the amount of crap she had in her cupboard and just shake my head. The dozens of boxes of prepackaged junkfood is NOT cheap! With the money from just one box of that stuff she could buy all kinds of fresh produce, some meat or fish on sale or a big bag of dried beans or lentils. You could give her all the money in the world and she's still going to eat junkfood until she changes her mindset. I went through a period of unemployment and had to cut corners. I learned to shop the sales, make soup and other food from scratch. I still soak my own beans, make my own bread and make large amounts of soups so I can freeze some for use when I don't have time or want to cook.

YES!!! THIS!!! Whole food almost always ends up being cheaper in the end you just have to have the will to do it. And no gym membership...it's called get outside and walk or run. All you need is some cheap sweats and sneakers...nothing fancy required. Do some yoga, squats, push ups, etc on your living room floor...