Guide to making claims based on research

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I find it fascinating that the person that was refusing to post the studies to begin with is the one with a profile page completely dedicated to providing studies and links to 1200 calorie diets, VLCD and so on not being dangerous.

I put all that in my profile because I was so tired of you and others constantly posting that 1200 was always dangerous. And you know what? Since I put all that there and directed people to it in threads a few times, the 1200 b.s. has scaled way back.

I'm sorry you still see 1200 as "VLCD" though. It's really not. VLCD is generally considered 800 and lower. MFP itself recommends 1200 all day long. Kind of odd if it's VLCD, which they don't promote.

A couple years ago you could hardly read a thread without reading "you can't eat below your BMR!!" Enough of us bashed heads long enough that that myth finally slinked off into the shadows with the EM2WL crowd.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I find it fascinating that the person that was refusing to post the studies to begin with is the one with a profile page completely dedicated to providing studies and links to 1200 calorie diets, VLCD and so on not being dangerous.

I put all that in my profile because I was so tired of you and others constantly posting that 1200 was always dangerous. And you know what? Since I put all that there and directed people to it in threads a few times, the 1200 b.s. has scaled way back.

I'm sorry you still see 1200 as "VLCD" though. It's really not. VLCD is generally considered 800 and lower. MFP itself recommends 1200 all day long. Kind of odd if it's VLCD, which they don't promote.

A couple years ago you could hardly read a thread without reading "you can't eat below your BMR!!" Enough of us bashed heads long enough that that myth finally slinked off into the shadows with the EM2WL crowd.

It's scaled back because most of the posters who advocated against this just/... stopped posting. Not because of your profile. I still post here, and I still pretty much never advocate 1200 calories unless it's clear that this person is really small and this is genuinely close to their TDEE-20%.

So it's not because people stopped believing in a "myth" but becayse they got fed up with MFP's forum and other changes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Or, they're like me, and realize people posting about 1200 and lower just want validation.

So validate like a valet parking ticket.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Now you've truly caught not only caught my attention but spurred me to action. I'm just a regular user of MFP and read a lot of the messages boards, where I stumbled upon both the "VLCD" and "EM2WL" arguments.

As I came across posts about these opposing themes I found myself becoming very confused as a lot of what was being said was not like anything I'd heard before from either the MFP articles, from my doctor, or other research I had done .... and I wondered if I had stumbled upon something that might help explain why I had so much trouble maintaining weight loss and such an easy time of regaining lost weight.

Now you are debunking what I thought I was starting to understand and have been trying to apply to myself. No ... I am not a youthful person trying to tone my body or get into the newest fashions sized 4 ... I am an old fat lady who is trying to hold on to whatever health and vigor she has left so that she (I) can look forward to having the dwindling years of my life expectancy as independent and active as possible.

But now, thanks to what you just said, I feel like perhaps I should slink off into the shadows. .... And I'm not so happy about having this emotion. So ... no thank you.

• dbmata
    Options
    Oh god, don't read the MFP articles, they're horrid twaddle.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    NK1112 wrote: »

Now you've truly caught not only caught my attention but spurred me to action. I'm just a regular user of MFP and read a lot of the messages boards, where I stumbled upon both the "VLCD" and "EM2WL" arguments.
    Are you saying you think 1200 is a dangerous VLCD and the way to lose is to 'eat more to weigh less'? And that links in my profile poked a hole in those beliefs, which makes you angry at me? You can see that no where in there does it say that anyone *has to* eat at any certain deficit or level, right? Just that if you choose to, the odds of hurting yourself are probably slim.

By the way, when I posted all that there, I repeatedly asked proponents for studies that said 1200 IS dangerous, so I could post them there, too. No one ever offered anything.

But this is getting way off topic.

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

It's scaled back because most of the posters who advocated against this just/... stopped posting. Not because of your profile. I still post here, and I still pretty much never advocate 1200 calories unless it's clear that this person is really small and this is genuinely close to their TDEE-20%.

So it's not because people stopped believing in a "myth" but becayse they got fed up with MFP's forum and other changes.

Didn't you just join a couple months ago? Do people report to you that they're leaving and why?

I like the new software. I miss the ignore function is all.

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Are you saying you think 1200 is a dangerous VLCD and the way to lose is to 'eat more to weigh less'? And that links in my profile poked a hole in those beliefs, which makes you angry at me? You can see that no where in there does it say that anyone *has to* eat at any certain deficit or level, right? Just that if you choose to, the odds of hurting yourself are probably slim.

By the way, when I posted all that there, I repeatedly asked proponents for studies that said 1200 IS dangerous, so I could post them there, too. No one ever offered anything.

No, that's not what I am saying at all. I'm not angry with you for what you said, and I don't much care if you eat 200 calories or 4200 calories a day. What I'm concerned about is that you got agressive in your response to ' - -" and by how your wording in your retort threw criticism to others who don't follow the same path as you do .... and that it made me confused. That's all. And .. what topic was this on anyway? I thought it was about how to post evidence of research.
  • ana3067
    Options

I just tried searching in my university's database, I either don't know what search term to use or there just isn't muhc available in my school's database. I found one, which I cannot find an access link to unfortunately
    NUTRITION NOTES. Source:
    RN; Jan90, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p80-101, 1/3p
    Abstract:
    Presents updates on nutrition as of January 1990. Dangers of a hypo-allergenic diet in children; Risk faced by obese patients on a very low-calorie diet.

Otherwise, I can't find any articles that specifically talk about long-term adherence to VLCDs. I've found some studies that seem to demonstrate that in terms of weight loss and maintaining weight are concerned, and only these elements, starting with a VLCD or normal deficit doesn't change results. However, I don't know if any of these papers discuss attrition rates of VLCDs versus normal CR, and I have yet to try looking for articles that discuss negative effects of low calorie diets on lean body mass and adherence to diets. Or whether those who use VLCD, and thus more likely to drop out, are the ones gaining weight back.

VLCD versus LCD in long-term treatment of obesity.
    OBJECTIVE: To compare the long-term effects of three different programs including initial 6 weeks (V)LCD diets 420kcal/d, 530 kcal/d, 880 kcal/d) on sustained weight loss, attrition and obesity associated conventional cardiovascular risk factors. DESIGN: Prospective, randomized clinical 52 weeks trial. Two weeks of a booster (V)LCD period after week 26. SETTING: University outpatient obesity clinic. SUBJECTS: Ninety-three middle-aged obese patients (30 men), initial mean BMI 38.7 kg/m², age 20-65y, from the waiting list. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Weight loss pattern, attrition, reported side effects, blood pressure, blood glucose and serum lipid levels. Repeated frequent measurements up to week 26, intermittently up to final measurements at week 52. RESULTS: One year attrition (30-45%), sustained weight loss (8-15% of initial body weight) and changes in obesity associated risk parameters were similar in all three group. Fewer adverse events were reported in the LCD group. CONCLUSION: The results compare favorably with most previous reports of similar design. VLCD (420 kcal or 530 kcal/ d and LCD 880 kcal/d) were equally effective in long term treatment of obesity. The tendency to less side effects with LCD suggests that such preparations deserve further attention. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: An update and meta-analysis
    Objective: Very-low-calorie diets (VLCDs), providing <800 kcal/d, have been used since the 1970s to induce rapid weight loss. Previous reviews of the literature have disagreed concerning the relative efficacy of VLCDs vs. conventional low-calorie diets (LCDs) for achieving long-term weight loss.
    Research Methods and Procedures: We sought to update findings on the clinical use, safety, and efficacy of VLCDs and to perform a meta-analysis of randomized trials that compared the long-term efficacy of LCDs and VLCDs. Original research articles were retrieved by a Medline search and from prior reviews of VLCDs. Trials were included only if they were randomized comparisons of LCDs and VLCDs and included a follow-up assessment at least I year after maximum weight loss. Data were abstracted by both authors regarding: duration of VLCD, total length of treatment, attrition, short- and long-term weight loss, changes in weight-related comorbidities, and adverse effects.
    Results: Six randomized trials were found that met inclusion criteria. VLCDs, compared with LCDs, induced significantly greater short-term weight losses (16.1 +/- 1.6% vs. 9.7 +/- 2.4% of initial weight, respectively; p = 0.0001) but similar long-term losses (6.3 +/- 3.2% vs. 5.0 +/- 4.0%, respectively; p > 0.2). Attrition was similar with VLCD and LCD regimens.
    Discussion: VLCDs did not produce greater long-term weight losses than LCDs. In the United States, the use of liquid meal replacements as part of a 1000 to 1500 kcal/d diet may provide an effective and less expensive alternative to VLCDs. In Europe, VLCDs are used with less intensive medical supervision than in the United States, which reduces the cost of this approach.

Long-Term Beneficial Effect of a 16-Week Very Low Calorie Diet on Pericardial Fat in Obese Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients.
    (no comparison/control grou pusing just a normal calorie restriction, though)
    Pericardial fat accumulation has been associated with an increased cardiovascular risk. A very low calorie diet (VLCD) improves the cardiovascular risk profile in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), by improving the metabolic profile, heart function, and triglyceride (TG) stores in (non)adipose tissues. However, long-term effects of a VLCD on pericardial fat volume and tissue-specific TG accumulation have not been documented. The aim of this study was therefore to assess the effects of a 16-week VLCD and of subsequent 14 months follow-up on a regular diet on pericardial fat in relation to other TG stores in obese T2DM patients. We included 14 obese patients with insulin-treated T2DM (mean ± s.e.m.: age 53 ± 2 years; BMI 35 ± 1 kg/m2). Pericardial fat and other (non)adipose TG stores were measured using magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and proton spectroscopy before and after a 16-week VLCD and after a 14-month follow-up without dietary interventions. A 16-week VLCD reduced body weight, pericardial fat, hepatic TG content, visceral and subcutaneous abdominal fat volumes to 78, 83, 16, 40, and 53% of baseline values respectively, (all P < 0.05). After an additional 14 months of follow-up on a regular diet, the reduction in pericardial fat volume sustained, despite a substantial regain in body weight, visceral abdominal fat, and hepatic TG content (respectively 90, 83 and 73% of baseline values). In conclusion, VLCD-induced weight loss in obese T2DM patients is accompanied by a substantial decrease in pericardial fat volume, which is sustained even after subsequent weight regain. ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR

• ana3067
    Options
    The rest

A dietary and behavioural programme for the treatment of obesity. A 4-year clinical trial and a long-term posttreatment follow-up.
    Abstract. Lantz H, Peltonen M, Ågren L, Torgerson JS (Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden). A dietary and behavioural programme for the treatment of obesity. A 4-year clinical trial and a long-term posttreatment follow-up. J Intern Med 2003; 254: 272–279. Objectives. To evaluate weight loss maintenance after 4 years of nonpharmacological, nonsurgical obesity treatment, including a very low calorie diet (VLCD), diet and behavioural support. Furthermore, to assess weight development amongst completers and noncompleters beyond the active 4-year treatment period. Design. Clinical trial. Setting. Two Swedish county hospitals. Subjects. A total of 113 patients were randomized to a 2-year treatment programme with or without an initial VLCD period. The 87 patients who completed the 2-year programme were offered the chance to continue a support programme for another 2 years. A total of 55 patients completed the entire 4-year programme. Interventions. All the patients took part in a comprehensive support programme, including a hypocaloric diet and behavioural support, either as single treatment (non-VLCD group) or following the VLCD period (VLCD group). Results. Significant 4-year weight losses were found in both groups, 7.6 ± 12.2 kg (VLCD group) and 6.3 ± 8.5 kg (non-VLCD group), (P < 0.01, n.s. between groups). The completers (n = 55) had maintained a weight loss of 3.3 ± 10.7 kg (P < 0.05) 8 years after randomization. After 6 years, the noncompleters (n = 58) had gained 3.2 ± 9.7 kg compared with baseline (P < 0.05). The difference in weight change between completers and non-completers was highly significant (P < 0.01). Conclusions. Highly significant weight losses can be maintained after a 4-year comprehensive treatment programme, including a hypocaloric diet and behavioural support. An initial VLCD period did not significantly affect the long-term weight loss. The posttreatment long-term weight loss was larger amongst completers than amongst patients who did not complete the treatment. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Long-term effects of a very low calorie diet (Nutrilett®) in obesity treatment. A prospective, randomized, comparison between VLCD and a hypocaloric diet+behavior modification and their combination.
    (in this one they did not sustain a VLCD, only initially started on one. So it would be interesting to compare participants who remained on a VLCD until they reached goal weight/required weight loss to participants who started on VLCD and then went to a normal diet, and then compare them to a group that was only on a normal deficit)

OBJECTIVES. To compare weight loss on a balanced hypocaloric diet to that of a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) after two months of treatment and to further compare 26 months of weight maintenance and safety with or without VLCD assistance in obese patients. DESIGN. Prospective, randomized, controlled intervention trial, initially with two and later with three parallel groups. SETTING. Swedish University out-patient obesity clinic. SUBJECTS. Eighty-one obese patients of both gender with a BMI≥30 kg/m² from the waiting list participated in a structured weight reduction+weight maintenance programme. INTERVENTION. Twenty-seven patients (group A) were randomized to a balanced diet of 6720 kJ/d (1600 kcal/d) during the whole treatment period. The other patients (n=54) were randomized to VLCD (Nutrilett®) 1764 kJ/d (420 kcal/d) diet during the first two months. The VLCD treated patients were rerandomized after the initial treatment to the well balanced hypocaloric diet (6720 kJ/d) with (group C) or without (group B) 1 MJ of VLCD to be taken during the evening. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES. During the first two-month period, the mean body weight loss in the VLCD group was 18.9±7.1 kg compared to 7.2±4.8 kg in the diet treated group, with a similar relative fat loss assessed by bioimpedance of 68% and 76% respectively. The maintained weight loss in all groups after 28 months of treatment was 10.9±10.2 kg in the 52% who completed the programme. Weight losses and drop-out rates were similar in all three groups. CONCLUSIONS. Twenty-four months weight maintenance and drop out rates are independent of whether the initial treatment commences with VLCD or a hypocaloric diet. One MJ nutrition powder taken freely does not affect 24 months weight maintenance on a hypocaloric (6.7 MJ/d) diet. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

On lean body mass:

VLCD compliance and lean body mass.
    Very low calorie diets (VLCD) have many advantages, as they are inexpensive, safe and easy to comply with, and give rapid and encouraging weight loss. On the other hand, many patients complain of hunger and constipation. We have shown that these drawbacks can be reduced by the supplementation of 30 g of dietary fibre to VLCD. By the use of a VLCD which provides approximately 60 g of protein for women and approximately 70 g for men, the dietary regimen is safe and no excessive loss of lean body mass seems to occur during VLCD in obese patients. However, the changes in body composition that may occur after cycles of weight loss and regain have not been clarified. After weight cycles with weight losses obtained by conventional diets, obese women have lower lean body mass than obese non-dieting controls. Hence, more information about the changes in body composition during dieting on conventional diets and VLCD are needed.

This is an older article thouhg:
    Effects of weight cycling on body composition.
    It is frequently claimed that weight cycling, or "yo-yo" dieting, causes an inappropriate and permanent loss of lean body mass (LBM). Data are presented from a rural African population that undergoes profound weight cycling caused by an annual hungry season. No detrimental effect on LBM was observed. Data are also presented from an 18-wk prospective study of moderately obese British women who underwent three cycles of VLCD-induced weight loss and subsequent relapse. The proportion of weight lost as LBM was no greater than predicted. A review of the published results from experimental weight cycling in small animals also shows a high level of consensus that cycling does not significantly alter body composition. We conclude that, although weight cycling may affect growth of young animals, metabolic efficiency, and health, these effects are not mediated through permanent alterations in body composition. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

But I REALLY do wish that the studies would study non-obese individuals because retention of LBM in obese individuals eating very low calorie probably is not identical to those who are lean or simply at a healthy weight.
  • ana3067
    Options

No, that's not what I am saying at all. I'm not angry with you for what you said, and I don't much care if you eat 200 calories or 4200 calories a day. What I'm concerned about is that you got agressive in your response to 'WalkingAlong" and by how your wording in your retort threw criticism to others who don't follow the same path as you do .... and that it made me confused. That's all. And .. what topic was this on anyway? I thought it was about how to post evidence of research.

She's referring to another thread titled Alternate Day Diet.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Didn't you just join a couple months ago? Do people report to you that they're leaving and why?

I like the new software. I miss the ignore function is all.

I've been here for 6 months. And it's been openly discussed that many people have gotten fed up with the forums/MFP.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1. "woe be unto you' was used in this thread
    2. Sara may or may not have real abs, I vote we fly to Cali and find out
    3. Dr Peale was quoted
    4. I was 'caught' in the Science section of Barnes and Noble this weekend.

That is all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Woah
    wra42tw0q1s6.jpeg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Only overweight category BMI, not obese. Somewhat discussion of loss of LBM, but more what it means to lowered TDEE and RMR beyond that loss.
    So more about potential for adherence if required to eat much more lower than possibly could have been.

Metabolic and Behavioral Compensations in Response to Caloric Restriction: Implications for the Maintenance of Weight Loss

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0004377
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This thread is like a what *not* to stickie after school special :laugh:

Cat gifs
    Drama from a recent thread dragged in here
    Year old drama dragged in here
    Posters not interested in being bullies
    Posters feeling berated into participating on forum
    Lynch mobs
  • dbmata
    Options
    Nice digest. I had stepped away for a minute, lost track of things.

7bgckhwax3ze.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

January 1st is less then 2 months away. 1200 will be back just like flowers in Spring.
  • dbmata
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

January 1st is less then 2 months away. 1200 will be back just like flowers in Spring.

Or resolutionists in the gym.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Wow, 9 pages over a day or two, this was a slugfest, lol. I figure if you're interested in a subject, find the proper studies online yourself! The library provides a free link to all published studies in any field (at least in Canada they do).