Guide to making claims based on research

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You have WAY too much time on your hands.

Has over 2,000 posts. Criticises others for having too much time.

There's a difference between taking the time to reply to threads that typically only require a few sentences versus taking the time to create a thread that is extremely lengthy (and certainly took more than a couple minutes to type) and most won't even bother to read because they don't know what peer-reviewed studies are or how to access them.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    And as far as the Aragon, Schoenfel et al comment above, the only post that I could find that has been made within the last week and that involved research by these people is a thread about fasted cardio, which I did not even participate in.

So... huh?
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10023219/yet-another-study-debunking-fasted-cardio/p1
    You're right, I confused you with someone else who doesn't understand the process. But you've posted plenty that shows you have a tenuous grasp on it but feel like an expert. In today's other thread you said that "the credentials of the author don't even matter," for example.

:huh: Dr. Oz has fantastic credentials.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

There's a difference between taking the time to reply to threads that typically only require a few sentences versus taking the time to create a thread that is extremely lengthy (and certainly took more than a couple minutes to type) and most won't even bother to read because they don't know what peer-reviewed studies are or how to access them.

There is.

The latter actually contributes to a meaningful conversation for those that are interested in science.

The former does not.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

There is.

The latter actually contributes to a meaningful conversation for those that are interested in science.

The former does not.

Too bad the majority here do not care. Most are here seeking advice about TDEE, food scales, why they are gaining weight when they are eating 1200 cals, what HRM to buy, food recipes, etc., which is certainly more meaningful to the majority than this thread will ever be.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Anyone with actual interest may read the books. I'm not falling into the "post your links in this format so we can dissect them and claim to have proved you wrong".

For about the sixth time, all this is over this simple exchange:

Q: "Why would anyone subject themselves to IF?"
    Response: "For reasons a, b, c and some might because of studies that have found evidence it may help prevent x, y and z."

The misinterpretation is amazing. If you want the studies, read the books. If you want to claim no such studies exist (why, I don't know), do so. I'm done playing semantics games.

That's cool. Providing the links when asked was optional. We're just letting you know that the format in which you presented them was non-specific and could have stood to be a bit more useful. If I wasn't willing to dig through a dozen links to find potentially non-existent proof, why do you think I would read a book? As it stands the proof / details of your studies will just have to be one of the billion things I'll never know. *shrugs*
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed this along the course of the thread - I only skimmed pages 2-6..

But I loved the original post. I would maybe add something about the Hierarchy of Evidence Strength.

As an example: Systematic Reviews & Meta-Analyses of RCTs >>> Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) >>> Observational Research
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There is.

The former does not.

Too bad the majority here do not care. Most are here seeking advice about TDEE, food scales, why they are gaining weight when they are eating 1200 cals, what HRM to buy, food recipes, etc., which is certainly more meaningful to the majority than this thread will ever be.

They may not, but many do.

Its also good to be able to give them good advice that can be substantiated.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I often bother to take the time to respond with more than a few sentences on the questions that you assert most people are here for.

Apparently, I have too much time on my hands and taking time to try to get facts right and to use that to help others is a bad thing. Good to know.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that this is already in the responses posted, but I don't have time to read the pages and pages, so...

Please be aware of any inherent bias that may be held by the author of any article. It can drive hypothesis, research and findings in very subtle ways that are difficult to recognize. Researchers' intent is to not let bias color findings and to structure studies to lower any effect of bias as much as possible, but it still creeps in.

True story: For an assignment in a class as simple as Intro to Speech years ago, one of my students wanted to use Dodge.com as an unbiased source for "Why Dodge Trucks are the Best." As a grad student working on some pretty in-depth social experiments on persuasive strategies in healthcare, all I could think was FML.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Remember that correlation does not imply causation! (It's probably my favorite research saying.)

This is very very important and not enough people realize this.

Every single person who has drank water has died, therefore water is deadly. No...

Um, what?? I have drank water and I haven't died.

Also, correlation can imply causation, especially if there are multiple studies showing correlation. It doesn't prove causation, but it certainly may imply it.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My Cats breath smells like cat food.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LikeStickersSparkle.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The ability that this post refers to is called "information literacy."

/librarian

Which I apparently lack :p
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30409651/#Comment_30409651

:D<3
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'll need peer reviewed studies posted here not only as links but also you must post the titles, abstracts and the authors' credentials. In MLA format. With human studies. On entire populations. Within the past six months.

It's been 5 minutes and I see no links. Therefore I have disproved your claim that all cats ever to have lived have cat food breath based on your N=1 anecdote. Which of course you never claimed, but it could be assumed that's what you believe because why else would you have posted such a claim.

;)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Remember that correlation does not imply causation! (It's probably my favorite research saying.)

This is very very important and not enough people realize this.

Every single person who has drank water has died, therefore water is deadly. No...

Um, what?? I have drank water and I haven't died.

Also, correlation can imply causation, especially if there are multiple studies showing correlation. It doesn't prove causation, but it certainly may imply it.

With the exception of still born babies and those that die before water is given (actually, a lot of babies will die before ever drinking water since you don't have to supplement with water until they start transitioning to solid foods), everyone who has died has had water in their lifetime. They are trying to express a point of correlation not causation, which you have confirmed. Water does not cause most of the deaths.

etc_correlation50__01__960.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The ability that this post refers to is called "information literacy."

/librarian

Which I apparently lack :p
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30409651/#Comment_30409651

I teach it at a college. Based on your comments in that thread and others, you could stand a course in it, I'm sorry. Your tips above aren't bad but this is a forum for discussion, not a PhD defense. When someone posts that they've read studies that say X, they don't need to supply those links or be considered proven wrong. Some of us read a lot.
    You're right, this is a discussion forum. However, if we do reference studies or evidence of something, because they are outside of our personal experience, then we need to post links to those studies. That's what keeps the discussion on track.

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I'll need peer reviewed studies posted here not only as links but also you must post the titles, abstracts and the authors' credentials. In MLA format. With human studies. On entire populations. Within the past six months.

It's been 5 minutes and I see no links. Therefore I have disproved your claim that all cats ever to have lived have cat food breath based on your N=1 anecdote. Which of course you never claimed, but it could be assumed that's what you believe because why else would you have posted such a claim.

;)

I like you!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah i'm sooooo sick of b******g about referenced studies...OMG some peoeple think they KNOW EVERYTHING because they are in thier early 20's in Uni...

i have to say LIFE brings much better evidence than reading research studies!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double post
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    LOL, I really fail to see what's so hard about this. If you want to participate in a scientific discussion about a topic, be prepared to defend your stance.

If you don't want to have to defend your stance leave it as a general statement and admit you don't have the time/energy/knowledge/background to get in to the nitty gritty detail.

Whining because some one took your science and countered it..... um that's kind of what's done. ALL. THE. TIME.

Doesn't matter if it's published in a peer reviewed journal. The data set a can still be too small, there can be issues with methodology that are lacking, people might question the statistics or the authors interpretation of the statistics, any number of possible things there to critique. Which *newsflash* that's what a professional scientist is trained to do.

There are many professional scientists on these forums, we enjoy these discussions, and yes we expect that if you want to really get in to a scientific debate on the subject you be able to discuss and reference in a reasonable manner.

Or you can take your ball and go home. Up to you.