Guide to making claims based on research

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Then flag em as spam, and move.com.org.

So, we know of one person misusing the flag button.

BWAHAHAHA! I think I just sprained something inside me!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

BWAHAHAHA! I think I just sprained something inside me!

Does this warrant an "abuse" flag for abusing the spam flag?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm pretty open about it. I use it as a like button. So if I like your post, bet your back end I'm gonna hook you up with a rep point.

However, to illustrate my point, there's another thread where someone is trying to promote an article from New Scientist as something credible. lol.

ETA - I laughed at your last post, btw.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    LOL, Ok seriously though. I have heard reports today that there are users who may have gotten blocked or banned somehow because of total flag #'s. "Reports" but still.
  • dbmata
    Options
    LOL, Ok seriously though. I have heard reports today that there are users who may have gotten blocked or banned somehow because of total flag #'s. "Reports" but still.

Really? That would be silly, because all a flag is, is "I didn't like the answer you gave me, so I'm going to have a childish tantrum and flag you."
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Really? That would be silly, because all a flag is, is "I didn't like the answer you gave me, so I'm going to have a childish tantrum and flag you."

Huh, and here I thought a flag was supposed to follow like, guidelines or something?

Wait, MFP has guidelines?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Again, "reports". Waiting for responses from PM's to Mods but...... yeah.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Huh, and here I thought a flag was supposed to follow like, guidelines or something?

Wait, MFP has guidelines?

... HOW long have you been here? lol.
  • ea15792
    ea15792 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't post very often on the boards, but I wanted to comment on this post. While I appreciate the OPs intent, but the reality is many people don't even know what a peer review study is and/or how to access such a study. Not to mention, there are nuances in data collection, statistical analysis, and interpretation that even those people with academic training outside of a particular specialty area won't understand. I know I am not qualified to serve as a peer reviewer for journals like NEJM, JAMA, Obesity, etc., so I'm not sure that I should be dismissing the results or conclusions of a particular study without that sort of qualification. Especially, when research, in general, builds on existing research and contributes to the body of knowledge, so that eventually evidence-based recommendations can be made by healthcare associations.

A peer reviewed article, book, etc., is a better source than some diet book, but I don't think everyone should feel like in order to participate in the discussion that they need to provide a long list of citations. However, I am also a believer that there is no one right way to lose weight. That for some people they need a structured diet to follow, for others they need to make small incremental changes, and for others surgery is the best bet. I won't judge. Because what has worked for me doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for others.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ea15792 wrote: »
    I don't post very often on the boards, but I wanted to comment on this post. While I appreciate the OPs intent, but the reality is many people don't even know what a peer review study is and/or how to access such a study. Not to mention, there are nuances in data collection, statistical analysis, and interpretation that even those people with academic training outside of a particular specialty area won't understand. I know I am not qualified to serve as a peer reviewer for journals like NEJM, JAMA, Obesity, etc., so I'm not sure that I should be dismissing the results or conclusions of a particular study without that sort of qualification. Especially, when research, in general, builds on existing research and contributes to the body of knowledge, so that eventually evidence-based recommendations can be made by healthcare associations.

A peer reviewed article, book, etc., is a better source than some diet book, but I don't think everyone should feel like in order to participate in the discussion that they need to provide a long list of citations. However, I am also a believer that there is no one right way to lose weight. That for some people they need a structured diet to follow, for others they need to make small incremental changes, and for others surgery is the best bet. I won't judge. Because what has worked for me doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for others.

And if making a "research shows that/evidence shows that/etc" remark, then it needs to be backed up by said research citations.

And if someone does nsot make this remark, then this thread does not apply to them.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ea15792 wrote: »
    However, I am also a believer that there is no one right way to lose weight.
    Great point. Another one I'd add.

People have the right and entitlement to fail at what they endeavor based on their beliefs.

Some people want to believe the latest weight loss craze from Suzanne Sommers, no amount of truth is going to bring them to the light.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I like this post...a lot.

One thing to throw out there is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence (and I do not mean n=1) can be useful depending on the context and if you are clear that it is just that. It can add to a body of evidence, but usually not stand on its own.

This a a good video from Eric Helms that uses an example that cautions people on the use of studies (or more accurately, the interpretation and application):
    Thanks for the link!
    Made it clickable though - seems that posting videos isn't working now :/

Oh oh oh, I got this!

I loved this video! I learned a lot, but two things stuck out to me....
    1. I need to keep working on eating more protein!
    2. There are special snowflakes! (outliers)
    I know this wasn't the point of the video, but those are at least things I'm going to apply to my own efforts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Personally, I would rather learn the facts and deal with them early on so they can learn a sustainable, realistic way to lose.
    I don't think this thread is for the normal, looking for advice peeps. It's for the ones that get on their high horses and start speaking in absolutes instead of generals, and freak out said norms. You know, the ones that are going to get all butt hurt and start arguing any minute.
    I must go look for the unicorns and cat gifs now.

Yahhhh - no flag on your post - you lost your flag stalker!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The suspense is killing us, ya know :|

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Well, 2 folks with such reports were confirmed - their posts in recent threads actually removed. But not where they were quoted! ahah. And any new posts they made they could see, but not others.

And I thought for sure they'd crack down on the abusers of the flag button first, as that would be easier I'd think.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    rainbow_farting_unicorn_by_ahiruluver602-d4rdxgx.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Well, 2 folks with such reports were confirmed - their posts in recent threads actually removed. But not where they were quoted! ahah. And any new posts they made they could see, but not others.

And I thought for sure they'd crack down on the abusers of the flag button first, as that would be easier I'd think.

One particular individual I have heard mentioned even had all the threads he started IN A PRIVATE GROUP go poof. This is someone whose flag count was primarily due to a flag stalker too. This person was apparently never even notified by anyone that he was at risk of being blocked or banned.

*please keep in mind this is ENTIRELY hearsay and rumor mongering on my part at this point in time, but I am trying to make it clear that for now we should maybe not do the whole flagging people for a goof thing*
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I used to post more citations when I had a Google Monkey to track them down:

lajvyq9bz3ts.jpg

He did good work, but the banana bill just got out of hand.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    And as far as the Aragon, Schoenfel et al comment above, the only post that I could find that has been made within the last week and that involved research by these people is a thread about fasted cardio, which I did not even participate in.

So... huh?
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10023219/yet-another-study-debunking-fasted-cardio/p1

You're right, I confused you with someone else who doesn't understand the process. But you've posted plenty that shows you have a tenuous grasp on it but feel like an expert. In today's other thread you said that "the credentials of the author don't even matter," for example.

I could post links til the cows come home and you and others would pick them apart with bizarre faults like that one or 'the sample size wasn't big enough' or 'XYZ Corp. contributes to that university' or 'animal studies don't count' or some other nitpick that ignores what peer review accomplishes.

You didn't even read the titles of the studies I did link to, if you didn't see the ones that clearly addressed cardiovascular health, LDL cholesterol, cancer risk and chronic disease risk.

Or maybe you see something different from this link than I do? Can someone click it and tell me if you see the terms I listed above on page 1 of the results set, no need to even click a result, the term is in the title or first sentence of the abstract?

And again, for the record, I never claimed that IF definitively has general health benefits, I said there are studies that show it does, which is one reason people might choose it. You can't disprove that by saying, "But you didn't provide links that pass my link test, and books don't count because I don't have those books", or whatever it is you're trying to claim. I'm not here to convince you of anything regarding IF, just to argue that your logic in arguing your point is very wrong.

• dbmata
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

One particular individual I have heard mentioned even had all the threads he started IN A PRIVATE GROUP go poof. This is someone whose flag count was primarily due to a flag stalker too. This person was apparently never even notified by anyone that he was at risk of being blocked or banned.

*please keep in mind this is ENTIRELY hearsay and rumor mongering on my part at this point in time, but I am trying to make it clear that for now we should maybe not do the whole flagging people for a goof thing*
    Inconsistent and poorly done. Yup, sounds like MFP.

In other news, every time I log something to my diary from the android app, if I do multiple item add, it multiplies all "servings" by 4. Been doing that for months, would have figured they would fix that.

This app and site are susceptible to competition at this point.