Guide to making claims based on research

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    for the person brand new to taking some control of their health and deciding to finally lose weight, whether from a doctor's advice or peer pressure or just some sort of self awakening, the power of positive thinking cannot be emphasized enough. If a person believes and is committed to not eating after 7 pm, or cutting back on sugar, or having 6 small meals a day, I would encourage them to go on believing it until they eventually learn on their own that those things really don't matter.

I don't see any value in breaking their bubble if it is indeed helping them via a positive way of thinking to get some control over their eating. Most folks here are not into all the research and studies and such. Most here are struggling just to eat in a deficit.

This doesn't have anything to do wtih the thread, though. If the person following these methods is going about saying that these things are backed up by research as being the best ways to lose weight, then they would need to back this up with research citations. But if they are just eating this way and not making any claims at all, at most are just saying "hey, I'm doing this and this and it's been working well for me, this is my current experience" then that's fine.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I totally agree, but some people may not understand how to read and interpret scientific studies, so it would be a real challenge for them. They may feel that they can't participate.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    And I'll add, saying "hey, this has worked well for me and you can try it" is one thing. Getting all panties in a twist when someone else says, that's nice, but you don't have to do that and there are other ways of accomplishing the same goal is another thing.

Because if the point is that OP wants DIFFERENT opinions, and then you get upset because someone gives an opinion different from YOURS, well then...... ahem, back to being able to provide evidence or understand the difference between fact and opinion.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    In reading the rest of this thread, I think this is not only a matter of understanding how to vet and use research, but goes back to the whole "you are only entitled to what you can argue" approach. Everyone on here is going to have an opinion, but some opinions shouldn't be given the same weight as others if the person cannot even support their position, especially once they start throwing around the word "research" and acting like they are more well-versed on the topic than everyone else.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    In reading the rest of this thread, I think this is not only a matter of understanding how to vet and use research, but goes back to the whole "you are only entitled to what you can argue" approach. Everyone on here is going to have an opinion, but some opinions shouldn't be given the same weight as others if the person cannot even support their position, especially once they start throwing around the word "research" and acting like they are more well-versed on the topic than everyone else.

Shhhh! Those people amuse me.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I totally agree, but some people may not understand how to read and interpret scientific studies, so it would be a real challenge for them. They may feel that they can't participate.

In that case they simply should not make any "research shows that" etc claims. It's fine to say like "yeah, I came across some articles summarizing research about x topic. They talked about x conclusions, I wasn't able to read/understand the original sources though so I can't tell you how valid the summary articles are!"

Then maybe someone else will see it and look through the primary source and might help explain it, or they might demonstrate how the blog post/newspaper/etc got it wrong, or whatever.

I've posted abstracts and article titles before when people would make claims without providing evidence, and I'd just post what I found with a quick search of my uni database, and if I ever read an abstract that I only partially understood then I'd say so. Or one time I posted about a really badly done research paper and I did say that I didn't really understand how the authors were computing their results in the table. So I was just like "if I'm interpreting this table correctly, then so and so results have been demonstrated." So just mmaking sure to even voice my own limitations as a reader is important.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    specially once they start throwing around the word "research"

totally.

Queen - I'd be more cautious with the "hey, this has worked well for me and you can try it" - besides the border of the pragmatic fallacy, let's say the advice is expensive (a dr oz supplement), unproven, etc. It's the same with injuries - we get armchair orthopedists dispensing advice. Saying "this worked for me" seems fine. it's when they start promoting it is where we can get into trouble
  • ana3067
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Shhhh! Those people amuse me.
    OMG like that one "carbs are evil" poster? oi.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

In that case they simply should not make any "research shows that" etc claims. It's fine to say like "yeah, I came across some articles summarizing research about x topic. They talked about x conclusions, I wasn't able to read/understand the original sources though so I can't tell you how valid the summary articles are!"

Then maybe someone else will see it and look through the primary source and might help explain it, or they might demonstrate how the blog post/newspaper/etc got it wrong, or whatever.

I've posted abstracts and article titles before when people would make claims without providing evidence, and I'd just post what I found with a quick search of my uni database, and if I ever read an abstract that I only partially understood then I'd say so. Or one time I posted about a really badly done research paper and I did say that I didn't really understand how the authors were computing their results in the table. So I was just like "if I'm interpreting this table correctly, then so and so results have been demonstrated." So just mmaking sure to even voice my own limitations as a reader is important.

That type of scenario would make for great threads imo - seeing a type of Q&A unfold is highly informative for me. There have been quite a few on FB recently about a few studies that, if you follow the threads, gives a better understanding of the studies.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    specially once they start throwing around the word "research"

totally.

Queen - I'd be more cautious with the "hey, this has worked well for me and you can try it" - besides the border of the pragmatic fallacy, let's say the advice is expensive (a dr oz supplement), unproven, etc. It's the same with injuries - we get armchair orthopedists dispensing advice. Saying "this worked for me" seems fine. it's when they start promoting it is where we can get into trouble

In my experience on here, when the advice that is given is CLEARLY AWFUL, it gets shouted down pretty quickly. And then much butthurt and entertainment ensues.

But, since the forum change, um, a lot of the people on here who were quick to slap that crap down, well, they're kinda sick of it. So yea, I can see that this might be becoming more of an issue right now.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

That type of scenario would make for great threads imo - seeing a type of Q&A unfold is highly informative for me. There have been quite a few on FB recently about a few studies that, if you follow the threads, gives a better understanding of the studies.

I've done group projects on research papers before, or even in classes where we discuss the papers themselves, and it does really help to have that group discussion. People can help explain something to someone, or just discussing how you've interpreted it together can really help you better formulate a more accurate understanding and interpretation. I had one article for my animal cognition class that was a bit difficult to understand and it took my partner and me a good 6 hours to work on that presentation, most of which was spent just trying to understand the article! Usually that type of discussion leads to needing to re-read the articles anyways, which then leads to a better understanding.
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    hahahahahaha! YES!!!! those threads!

and really good call about the changes and good point for us newer folks!

merci! :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is not going to be read/understood by anyone who is too lazy and/or stupid to properly research anything to begin with. I don't really see the point of even posting this thread. You might as well also post a guide to its versus it's, as if the people who misuse it just had never had been exposed to this knowledge before.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I've done group projects on research papers before, or even in classes where we discuss the papers themselves, and it does really help to have that group discussion. People can help explain something to someone, or just discussing how you've interpreted it together can really help you better formulate a more accurate understanding and interpretation. I had one article for my animal cognition class that was a bit difficult to understand and it took my partner and me a good 6 hours to work on that presentation, most of which was spent just trying to understand the article! Usually that type of discussion leads to needing to re-read the articles anyways, which then leads to a better understanding.

Hehehe! Welcome to grad school. Read a paper. Interpret a paper. Tear apart and mutilate the paper. That's pretty much all you do. Although you get a lot of good info about your professor's personal opinions based on what papers they choose for you to shred.....
  • ana3067
    Options

Hehehe! Welcome to grad school. Read a paper. Interpret a paper. Tear apart and mutilate the paper. That's pretty much all you do. Although you get a lot of good info about your professor's personal opinions based on what papers they choose for you to shred.....

I'm still an undergrad, one semester left... if I do go into graduate school, at least then I know what to expect now!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    This is not going to be read/understood by anyone who is too lazy and/or stupid to properly research anything to begin with. I don't really see the point of even posting this thread. You might as well also post a guide to /color][color=#FF00e0]i[/color][color=#FF00c0its /color][color=#FF0000]/[/color][color=#FF1f00]i[/color][color=#FF3f00versus /color][color=#c0FF00]i[/color][color=#a0FF00it's/color][color=#00FF1f]/[/color][color=#00FF3f]i[/color][color=#00FF5f, as if the people who misuse it just had never had been exposed to this knowledge before.

FLAGGED FOR BEING A SHOW OFF!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is not going to be read/understood by anyone who is too lazy and/or stupid to properly research anything to begin with. I don't really see the point of even posting this thread. You might as well also post a guide to its versus it's, as if the people who misuse it just had never had been exposed to this knowledge before.

I think at the very mnimum it could be a good read for anyone actively being butthurt due to being told their research links are inadequate. It would be a better explanation than mockery and cat gifs, I would think

• Wronkletoad
    Options
    ^^ bwahahahahahaha! and love the name, lift! "a lot" as one word "you're" vs "your" are others :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ok.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    ^^ bwahahahahahaha! and love the name, lift! "a lot" as one word "you're" vs "your" are others :)

As a science person who is grammatically challenged, I find this post offensive. :grumble:

:tongue: