edited November 2014
    Options
    The ability that this post refers to is called "information literacy."

/librarian
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like this post...a lot.

One thing to throw out there is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence (and I do not mean n=1) can be useful depending on the context and if you are clear that it is just that. It can add to a body of evidence, but usually not stand on its own.

This a a good video from Eric Helms that uses an example that cautions people on the use of studies (or more accurately, the interpretation and application):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYq8OzoMSFo

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

/librarian

Which I apparently lack :p
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30409651/#Comment_30409651
  • ana3067
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

One thing to throw out there is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence (and I do not mean n=1) can be useful depending on the context and if you are clear that it is just that. It can add to a body of evidence, but usually not stand on its own.

This a a good video from Eric Helms that uses an example that cautions people on the use of studies (or more accurately, the interpretation and application):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EYq8OzoMSFo
    Thanks for the link!
    Made it clickable though - seems that posting videos isn't working now :/
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Thanks for the link!
    Made it clickable though - seems that posting videos isn't working now :/

Oh oh oh, I got this!

• ana3067
    Options
    nice! Are you just using the same code? that [ youtube ] [/ youtube ] thing? I tried that abvoe and it didn't work
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

/librarian

I teach it at a college. Based on your comments in that thread and others, you could stand a course in it, I'm sorry. Your tips above aren't bad but this is a forum for discussion, not a PhD defense. When someone posts that they've read studies that say X, they don't need to supply those links or be considered proven wrong. Some of us read a lot.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    nice! Are you just using the same code? that [ youtube ] [/ youtube ] thing? I tried that abvoe and it didn't work

Yup, it's just the code, not the whole web address surrounded by the youtube stuff.
  • ana3067
    Options

Yup, it's just the code, not the whole web address surrounded by the youtube stuff.
    UGH, right. I totally forgot about that. Thanks!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

/librarian

I teach it at a college. Based on your comments in that thread and others, you could stand a course in it, I'm sorry. Your tips above aren't bad but this is a forum for discussion, not a PhD defense. When someone posts that they've read studies that say X, they don't need to supply those links or be considered proven wrong. Some of us read a lot.

Actually, if they want their assertion to be considered valid, YES they do need to provide evidence to back their claim. It's the interwebz and anybody can make "claims" of expertise. Unless they're willing to back those claims with evidence, they will be placed firmly in the *doesn't actually know what they're talking about but wants to look smart* category. Because good science doesn't work on faith.

And LOL, at some of us read a lot, as if no body else could have possibly read anything (or taught at a university for that matter)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's all great for the people who post links and want to argue about research and all that jazz.

For general discussion board stuff, it's not all that important.

It's okay to discuss what works for you, your friend, your cousin, et cetera and not post links to studies, lol.

Nobody has to defend their opinion.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I suppose that's all great for the people who post links and want to argue about research and all that jazz.

It's okay to discuss what works for you, your friend, your cousin, et cetera and not post links to studies, lol.

While that may be true, some "opinions" are passed off as gospel and the danger is that a newbie or naive person may take it as truth and start doing IF because they read here that it cures shin splints.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

/librarian

This is a forum that has an inordinate amount of totally bogus claims made on it, which could impact someone's success, so it is very important to be able to support those claims. If they cannot refer to where their assertion is coming from, how do we know that they have interpreted the studies correctly, that there are in fact studies supporting what they say or whether they have mis-remembered. Citing studies does (or should) create discussion and a better knowledge base. It has nothing to do with a PhD defense.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

The issue comes in because many people can't seem to differentiate between their opinions and actual facts.
  • ana3067
    Options

/librarian

Actually, if they want their assertion to be considered valid, YES they do need to provide evidence to back their claim. It's the interwebz and anybody can make "claims" of expertise. Unless they're willing to back those claims with evidence, they will be placed firmly in the *doesn't actually know what they're talking about but wants to look smart* category. Because good science doesn't work on faith.

And LOL, at some of us read a lot, as if no body else could have possibly read anything (or taught at a university for that matter)

Yep to this entire reply. I read a lot of comics, does that mean that I can make the claim that subspace highways exist? Because I've read about it, it totally means that me saying this is valid.

Clearly not based on a research article, but I could easily say if I wanted to that I read professor O'Malley's article on subspace highways and he said they exist.

26a98c4ed42f168a1d64191281c6764a.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Saying what works for you is not the issue. Saying that something works/does not work as a statement of fact is the issue.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

/librarian

I'm calling shenanigans on that one. It doesn't matter where you teach, the first thing you should be teaching your students is proper referencing.

Yup, pretty much day 1 of EVERY introductory level course. And woe be unto you if you haven't learned it by the time you get to advanced or grad level. Not even sure *how* you could get beyond introductory level if you don't understand the importance of referencing and providing evidence for an assertion.
  • ana3067
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

/librarian

I'm calling shenanigans on that one. It doesn't matter where you teach, the first thing you should be teaching your students is proper referencing.
    mhm. even my profs lecture notes are filled with references, and it's just... a class setting where none of us are going to actually go and read those original sources. But it shows that the info was garnered form a valid place.
  • ana3067
    Options

opinion and anecdotal experience are different than when someone says "there is evidence/research/etc saying so and so exists. I almost never talk about research findings, because I don't look up research. If I say something here, it's generally based on my own experience or I am discussing anecdotal evidence pulled from what many people here have posted (e.g. "a lot of people here have found that they need to eat at least 50g of fat to help keep their joints feeling good while exercising" would be something I'd say if I saw that a lot of posters kept making this comment).

So no, if you are not saying that your opinion is factual/evidence/research, then there's no need to defend it, because it's just your opinion and experience.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

/librarian

This is a forum that has an inordinate amount of totally bogus claims made on it, which could impact someone's success, so it is very important to be able to support those claims. If they cannot refer to where their assertion is coming from, how do we know that they have interpreted the studies correctly, that there are in fact studies supporting what they say or whether they have mis-remembered. Citing studies does (or should) create discussion and a better knowledge base. It has nothing to do with a PhD defense.

It's just... Some of the requirements detailed here seem so stringent that if you haven't at the very mnimum defended a Masters Thesis before, you shouldn't bother participating. Is that realistic?

But at the same time I see where if you're going to make a claim based on an article you read, it's important to link it. I've read a linked article and did not come to the same conclusion the linker did. We then proceeded to have a very exhausting conversation about it and I don't know how you guys do this day after day :laugh: