I don't know how to stop binging

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change

That is a really rude thing to say to her! Who are YOU to say what is hard for someone else? Are you kidding me? Just because it may not be hard you YOU! Don't judge things that you don't understand. I am always amazed at people. Wow.

Most people that post things like that actually do understand.

Your reaction to that post is an indication that you do not.

I completely understand both sides actually. Just don't be little her problem by saying that is isn't hard. It's as hard as any other addiction.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options

If you want a serious psychological impact to get your *kitten* in gear, do all of your binging in front of a mirror. Next time you get the urge to down an entire box of cheese snacks, take that box into your bedroom, lock the door, and stand in front of a mirror in your underwear as you eat them.

THis actually might work- We went to Texas de Brazil for dinner one night ( It's one of the restaurants where they just keep bringing meat after meat to your table - along with fat laden sides)....luckily they sat us at a table where there was a ceiling to floor mirror at my side. I couldn't help but look at myself everytime I looked toward the person at the head of the table.....Seeing yourself in a seated position while you eat isn't flattering- every fat roll reminds you not to eat!
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Some people who are giving you a hard time and saying things like "put down the fork" clearly don't understand what it's like to deal with emotional eating/binge eating. I know it can feel like you are helpless and out of control and can't stop. But you do have to stop making excuses at some point and own up to the behavior and make some changes. You are your problem, but also the solution! Don't give up on yourself. Find reasons that you want to get healthy for - post pictures and phrases on your wall or mirror at home for motivation. But don't think that you are powerless - you CAN change. You just have to want it bad enough. Once you decide that enough is enough, you will find a way to stop. Will it be easy? Hell no! Will it be worth it? Hell yes! Make small goals for yourself and be aware of what you are eating - and that starts with tracking. Even the worst possible binge you ever had. Once you see it written down and how many calories you just ate, and how much time you need to spend working out to burn it, you will start making small changes and start your road to recovery and health.

^^^^^^
    This is a MUCH better approach. Speak the truth in love people. Don't be mean... that's probably why she has this problem to begin with.
  • jentwyn
    jentwyn Posts: 8
    Options
    Try to think about what you are going to eat and how it will make you feel afterwards both emotionally and physically. Bring healthy snacks from home to help avoid the ones in the break room. You can even try "rewarding" yourself with 1 serving on fridays if you've been good all week and avoided those snacks. If you're working out, you are working hard so try to be more aware of what you are eating. Hope that might help.. it helps me. Also, is there a place where you can walk? I have an office job too and I take my 2 15 minute breaks walking..it's about 5000 steps. I just walk around the building..nothing to scenic just good for the steps.
  • sbjax4
    sbjax4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Overeating can have physiological causes - 1. Get a physical and talk to your doctor about what you crave. the purpose it to rule out any physical reasons for cravings. 2. Look into having your Doc prescribe an appropriate anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med. these help with impulse control also. (welbutrin is a good one for impulse control and can increase energy in a healthy non stimulant way) 3. Rule out sleep disorders too these can cause emotional instability

On the Job: Try and journal atthe end of your day. Include not just the foods but the emotions expereicned just before eating...what triggered it? Then try and go through how the food made you feel? what are your emotions after you realize you have binged?
    Set small hour by hour goals. Like I will practice what is best for me for the next hour I will not snack. Celebrate with a break that encourages you- Like reading positive affirmations or something else not food related. Build on success and stop foccusing on failure. Forgive yourself.

AA- Teaches this montra- "All you can do is the next right thing." Once you have made a bad choice all you can do is forgive your self and make the next choice better. It is a minute by minute battle at first and as you gain control you will feel better.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change

That is a really rude thing to say to her! Who are YOU to say what is hard for someone else? Are you kidding me? Just because it may not be hard you YOU! Don't judge things that you don't understand. I am always amazed at people. Wow.

it was a dramatic reminder of the need to keep a sense of perspective.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

You don't need any sort of meetings or counseling. You just need a serious wake up call. Other people have acknowledged that you have a mental problem, but I don't believe in that. Once you believe you have some sort of mental problem or uncontrollable addiction, you believe that you are incapable of fixing it because its out of your control. You are welcoming weakness.

Mr. Cruise: This is nonsense, and dangerous nonsense at that. It's true that people often use medical terms like "addiction" and "ED" too loosely, and I have no idea of the OP's true condition. But even if she doesn't meet the clinical definition of binge disorder she is not "weak" to acknowledge that she has a problem, nor is she "weak" to seek help to control it.

As I said before, I think the OP should see the help of therapist or psychiatrist who has flexible hours and who is willing to do some phone appointments, although a 55-hour work week does permit in-person appointments if you really want them. I've known people with 80-hour work weeks who had therapists. She has to do her part. But the "Just Do It" folks should stand down.

Maybe a certain degree of life coaching could help. In other words, a period of checking in daily with a professional to discuss how to deal with the challenges of the day.
  • sunshineandprayers
    sunshineandprayers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look into Mindful eating. There are many practices you can do even with your busy schedule. Check out the Mindful Eating or Eating the Moment. Also if you google mindful eating some great links come up. This really help me when I realized I had an overeating/binging problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I recently went through a three-month period, after my grandfather died and I had a ton of finals going on, when I couldn't stop eating. I know how you feel. It brought me back almost to where I had started. I kept thinking "I'll be back on track tomorrow" but then I wouldn't be and I just go so upset with myself I figured, why not eat a whole box of cereal, I've ruined everything anyway.

When I graduated, it suddenly stopped. Because all my sources of stress were gone. It was stress that was leading to my binging (I'm not saying that as an excuse, I take full responsibility for everything that passed my lips). Anyway, maybe you should consider that this new job, not the kitchen, lead to your binging. If it's a lot more stressful, then that can wreak havoc on your self control and make you comfort eat.

This is entirely based on my personal experience, but I hope it helps. Best of luck!