Do They Get It?

Options
13»

Replies

• mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to log before I go to a restaurant bc I don't want to be on my phone while out with friends. However, sometimes while out doing something else we decide to go to a restaurant and so I have to log while I'm out. I just let my friends know that I have to quickly check calories before I can order. It hasn't been a problem so far. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be doing that DURING a lunch date. I wouldn't openly do it either, it's annoying and a little rude. If my friend goes to the restroom, then I'll log a few things. Finish it up after.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Man, I get this all the time. It's like "you got an eating disorder?" or "you don't need to do that" or whatever and so I say "doctor's orders!" and that shuts them up. :D
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    It's almost as if they simply do not understand my continued due diligence which sometimes makes lunch/dinner dates a little awkward.

How do they even know? Do you make a big deal out of it? Log at the table? Comment about it?

If you log before or after, they'll have nothing to say about it. If you say, "no thanks, I'm full" when they offer you more food, that's just a normal response. How does it even become a topic of conversation?

Everybody at the table knows with me because I look at the menu pick a meal, then put it in myfitnesspal to see how many calories then I adjust what I want to eat and then I order. Everybody sees me punching my phone. I don't eat and then punch it in. I know up front what I am doing to myself.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I’ve “only” lost 160 pounds so far with another 20 pounds or so to go – then maintenance. BUT…I do get “the look” sometimes.

At events (weddings etc.), I generally keep portions to “fist-size” and only eat things I know to be healthy and have an idea of calorie content. When dining out with friends, I check the menu online in advance and have multiple choices pre-selected and record in private (they don’t even know I have done this). This avoids a lot of “input” and also puts them at ease (they may be obese themselves or intimidated). They only see me ordering “what I am in the mood for.”

Still – people will sometimes see my portion size and tell me how much more I can eat. Rather than get into a big calorie discussion – I tell them “they are right” and that I am simply saving myself for later that night or next day (whatever); so I can indulge on XYZ that I have planned because the last thing I want to do is regain all the weight I have lost through so much work. I think real friends understand and others…well maybe they aren’t real friends…so who cares. LOL
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Log away. Why are you discussing it?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    I'd never do this (log, look up calories) in front of friends. It's none of their business why I make the choices I do. Last time I went out with friends and had forgotten to check nutrition facts in advance (only online, not printed on the menu), I went to the bathroom to read the calorie counts on my phone before ordering.

And I don't like it when people talk about their diet/exercise habits because it's boring and narcissistic. So I don't discuss it except with my husband and kids, except to say, "Why thank you, yes, I have lost weight" :) If someone asks for more details, then I tell them about MFP.

I also think using a phone at the table is rude, but I understand that I'm in the minority. I also write thank-you notes and RSVP to all invitations, even the ones I'm declining to attend.

I agree with you! I also don't like using my phone at the table.. I got some bad habits of doing so and was bugging myself so I got rid of my data. And I do find I talk about dieting way too much and have been working to minimize this. It does help I think.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't actually make people aware than I count calories. When they saw me lose weight and keep it off some asked how I did it - I told them I watched my portion sizes and tracked calories using an app and that was that. My closest friend knows about mfp and I used to talk rather animatedly about my progress, but I knew I was boring her to tears so I stopped LOL
    My hubby has been the best though, when he sees me whipping out my phone to log my foods, he rolls his eyes but only because he wouldn't be bothered logging at all. He's fortunate he doesn't have to, thats what being a big strapping lad of 6ft 1" gets ya.
    He keeps expecting me to stop my logging habits but 2 1/2 yrs on I have no intention of doing so, why would I? its got me pretty darn good results :-D
    If I was out lunching/eating out with friends, I usually eat the same kinds of things anyway so pre log my days foods in the morning, then adjust it in the evening if necessary and noone is any the wiser. I don't like others using their phones when we're eating or having a conversation with each other so I'm certainly not going to do the same when its irks me.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Since I did a lot of change (limit portions, types of foods, had an on line coach ) and logged calories, when I get out of logging is peace of mind. I am ok if people make fun of me. And btw, Head and Shoulders makes great hair products that prevent itchy scalp and dandruff... so if you use that analogy, logging helps you lose and maintain weight.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    While having a conversation with my neighbor, I mentioned something about how my dog likes to hang out with me when I workout, not bragging, we were just talking about our dogs and she said, "why are you still working out, you don't need to lose anymore weight". Grrrr! Working out and eating healthy is a big part of my life, but I try not to talk about it too much, but god forbid I decline a donut, then I'm pegged as anorexic. Not too many anorexics weigh 164lbs.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    People I know don't look at this as a lifetsyle, they look at this like a diet. It's not. I workout because i want to be healthy, not because i want to lose weight. I get the comment "You don't need to worry about what you eat" all the time. Clearly i do or i wouldn't have gained like i did initially.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I've got the 'Are you still on your diet?' several times and 'How much more weight are you going to lose?/Are you done losing weight?' I'm just honest when they ask: It's not a diet - it's a permanent change; and no, I'm not done losing weight, but it's not much now. Really, the only thing to do is to address the problem if it's bothering you.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A wonderful piece of advice I got when I first started was to photograph my meal in restaurants and then I could record later. We have no online menus here.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    bvifun wrote: »
    A wonderful piece of advice I got when I first started was to photograph my meal in restaurants and then I could record later. We have no online menus here.

I have done this! The other thing is that at "home cooked gatherings" with family and friends I always offer to help serve. That way I can put the right portion size on my plate.