Cauliflower anyone?

Options

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ft6xruw1yuk1.jpg

Great thread! I am enjoying everyone's recipes.....I like it steamed and mashed like potato's with a little butter and sometimes Parmesan cheese then poured over steamed broccoli
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower! When I feel like pasta but want something more filling I either use spaghetti squash or cauliflower and then find a pasta recipe that sounds good and sub it in. There's been some great ones, but literally it is just a google search for a pasta recipe for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Will be watching this thread!

My favorite ever is mashed cauliflower. Boil until tender, then add 50ish grams of light cream cheese, 15g of grated parmesan, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, then blend with an immersion blender. It's fantastic.

Or I just roast it with a bit of olive oil (like 1 tbsp for the whole head, it's adding maybe 20 calories if you split it in 3 servings, really not that bad).
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I roast mine in the oven but only spray the pan with cooking spray (usual olive oil spray) and I season with Season All. What ever seasonings you like will work. I cover my cookie sheet with foil and it makes clean up easy too.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

That is where the line is drawn for most around here. That and making cakes with it. :noway:

I admit to making a "pesto alfredo" type sauce with it, and my pasta loving yet vegetable picky 7 year old LOVES it.

Steamed is my favorite way, and I prefer raw cauliflower to raw broccoli so I will always go for that first on veggie trays.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower leek soup is really good

Pretty much just cauliflower, leeks, chicken or vegetable stock, spices to taste and blend to make it smooth. Add milk for a nice creamy soup.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Just wanted to rant a bit - I was going to make a cauliflower leek soup, and cauliflowers were $3.99 for a small! I mean... seriously wth?

So I didn't buy any. And I'm sad. Need to check another store.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    cauliflower leek soup sounds good ! I might make it this weekend
  • Francl27
    Options
    I made cauliflower leek soup... 3 leeks (they were pretty small), half a cauliflower (pretty large), one small onion, 32oz of chicken broth and half a cup of lowfat milk, with a bit of pepper... Delicious!
  • katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Skinny Taste's Baked Potato Soup! Two potatoes and a head of cauliflower. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cauliflower but love Skinnytaste's Cauliflower Fritters! We have them as an entree pretty often. We dip them in sriracha sauce. ;)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    CauliPizza

FOR THE CRUST:
    2 large eggs
    2 cups cauliflower "rice" (cauliflower florets grated in food processor to a "rice" consistency)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup dried basil spice
    2 cups Kraft natural cheese Mozzarella shredded low-moisture part-skim

FOR THE TOPPINGS:
    3/4 cup Great Value Pizza All Natural
    3/4 cup Kraft natural cheese Pizza Mozzarella Cheddar
    20 slices Armour Turkey Pepperoni 70% less Fat

1. Preheat oven 450F
    2. Combine all crust ingredients together in large bowl and mix well with hands. Divide into 5 amounts and drop each onto a large cooking spray coated cookie sheet(s). Press each out flat with the palm of your hand to a thin crust for baking.
    3. Bake 450F for 12-15mins watching carefully not to burn.
    4. When done remove from oven to add toppings (keep oven on at 450F).
    5. Spread the pizza sauce and pizza cheese evenly between the 5 pizzas. Chop the 20 slices of turkey pepperoni into even smaller pieces, then also divide evenly over all the pizzas.
    6. Place back into the oven at 450F for 2-3mins again watching very carefully for burning.
    7. Makes 5 pizzas. Each pizza has: 263 CALORIES, 8g CARBS, 17g FAT, 21g PROTEIN, 660mg SODIUM, 185mg POTASSIUM, and 127mg CHOLESTEROL.
    ire808pt6qjb.jpg
  • Francl27
    Options
    I actually really need to try that cauliflower pizza thing one day, out of curiosity...
  • LittleWarriorBee
    LittleWarriorBee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I toss the cauliflower w olive oil and sliced onions and then cook in a cast iron pan on the grill.
  • rvirdi
    rvirdi Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like mine made Indian Style.....
    Whole Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower with Cilantro Onion Chutney

Whole roasted tandoori cauliflower recipe at Indiaphile.info
    Prep time: 15 min
    Cook time: 1 hrs
    Total time: 1 hrs
    Yields 1 roasted Cauliflower

Ingredients
    For the Cauliflower
    1 medium cauliflower
    1/2 cup yogurt (I use nonfat Greek style yogurt)
    3 garlic cloves, grated
    1 tsp grated ginger
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    For the Cilantro Onion Chutney
    1 cup loosely packed cilantro, roughly chopped
    1/3 cup mint leaves (or substute 1 tsp dried mint leaves)
    1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1/2 Serrano chili (or to taste), roughly chopped
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

Instructions
    1.Rinse and dry the cauliflower and cut off the leaves and core.
    2.In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the cauliflower.
    3.Brush the yogurt mixture all over the cauliflower. Make sure to get into all the crevices and don’t neglect the underside.
    4.Set the cauliflower in a casserole dish or cookie sheet and then in the fridge to marinate for an hour or two. You can leave it in the fridge for up to eight hours if you want to prep earlier.
    5.Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
    6.Transfer the cauliflower to the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes until a knife inserted into the middle goes in easily.
    7.Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
    For the Chutney
    1.Add all the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Notes
    •If you want to get the traditional red color that’s associated with tandoori, feel free to add a few drops of red food coloring.
    If you’re short on time, it’s okay to skip the marinating. It’ll still taste good.
    The calorie and nutrition info listed is for the cauliflower only.

Nutrition Info

Serving Size Quarter Cauliflower Sodium 334mg
    Calories 52 Trans Fat 0g
    Carbohydrates 8g Fat 0g
    Protein 5g Cholesterol 0g
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    buffalo cauliflower bites, pop corn cauliflower, you can google both of those for the recipe, oh hell it's Christmas time here is the buffalo recipe...http://www.baked-in.com/2013/01/26/cauliflower-buffalo-wings/
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have made this dish twice now. Delicious!

Cauliflower Fried Rice
    Serves: 4

3 cups of raw grated cauliflower (use a cheese grater or food processor)
    ½ cup frozen peas
    ½ cup carrots, thinly sliced
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    ½ cup onion, diced
    ½ TBSP olive oil (I used mix of olive oil and sesame oil)
    2 eggs (or 4 egg whites) scrambled
    3 TBSP low sodium soy sauce

In a large pan, saute garlic and onions in olive oil on a medium/high heat, until onions become soft and transparent. (about 2-3 minutes)

Next add in peas, and carrots and cook until carrots begin to soften and peas are heated through, about 3-4 minutes

Next stir in scrambled eggs , cauliflower and soy sauce. Cook stirring frequently for about 5-7 more minutes.

Enjoy adding in your favorite protein and veg. Possible add-ins: baby corn, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, water chestnuts, chicken, tofu, and shrimp!