Cauliflower anyone?

Options

Replies

• avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Rice it! Put the chunks in the blender until it's a rice consistency and then use it in EVERYTHING. My fav? Stuffed peppers.
  • warriorguy
    Options
    Ever try cauliflower soup? I steam it whole, then discard thick stems afterwards; then puree it for making the soup creamier; then cook til done zucchini, yellow squash, peppers (all 3 colors); fresh garlic minced; fresh ginger minced; chopped onion; mushrooms, julienne carrots; several quartered potatoes; small can corn; small can cut green beans, 1 large broccoli briefly nuked before adding; and add some fresh spinach just before soup is done; add seasoning last, tumeric, oregano, Accent, garlic salt, and if desired, some hot sauce. I add some chicken broth and water, enough to give some bulk and makes a large gallon can of soup. Store in refrig. and you could freeze to alternate the 175 cal 2 cup serving with other foods from day to day. Lots of work, but then you are free for days to not even having to cook...just heat up
  • scrappyhappymom
    scrappyhappymom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on a cauliflower craze at the moment, lol.. our new favourite, cauliflower crust pizza http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/. We also had twice baked cauliflower tonight for dinner http://faithfulnessfarm.blogspot.ca/2012/04/low-carb-living-twice-baked-cauliflower.html. We love cauliflower rice too with butter chicken. Who knew you could do so many things with it?
  • DebiW1211
    DebiW1211 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've made cauliflower puree before. Yummy
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I pureed it and used it instead of milk in my corn chowder recipe.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Check out my recent thread, Buffalo Cauliflower Bites:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10037042/buffalo-cauliflower-bites#latest

I love cauliflower but it cost more then broccoli so I haven't purchased it as much. I just got a new cook book and cauliflower is a big deal in it so I may start "accidentally" ringing it up as broccoli at walmart...hehe.

There is an amazing recipe in Thug Kitchen called Cauliflower Cream Pasta. Turned out amazing:

•From Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook

• Want to enjoy creamy pasta without having to f***ing worry about cholesterol? Puréed cauliflower makes this sauce silky without any of that added bulls*** that made you avoid creamy sauces for so long. Feel free to add some stuff like roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli or roasted red peppers to this dish to mix it up.

• 1 pound pasta (fettuccine, linguine, spaghetti, whatever)
    • 4 cups chopped spinach
    • Salt and pepper
    • 1/2 head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into little trees
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened plain nondairy milk
    • 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon miso paste
    • 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley

Cook the pasta according to the package directions or whatever f***ing method you invented and now swear by. When it’s all done, throw it in a large bowl with the spinach, toss, and set aside. While the pasta cooks, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Throw in a pinch of salt and the cauliflower and simmer all that until the cauliflower is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and toss into a blender. Add the milk, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, miso and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the blender and let that motherf***er run until the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust as you see fit. Pour the cauliflower purée into the pot you boiled the cauliflower in and set over low heat. Add the pasta and spinach and toss until everything is mixed and warm. Top with some parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
  • cevikyusuf1991
    cevikyusuf1991 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a suggestion :)myfoodrecipe.net
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I steam it mash it and add horseradish cheddar to it and some bacon. :p
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I use the puree as a thickener in soups and stews as well as all of the above! The cauliflower pizza tastes good, but it isn't something to pick up and eat...it's not the texture of a crust. The breadsticks are really good, but again, not bread. You have to have different expectations to try the substitutes.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower but in my market it's been selling for $6.99 a head. I know I can buy frozen but I really prefer the raw so I need to wait till it goes down in price.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We love Madhur Jaffrey's quick cauliflower bhaji, spicy and delicious, http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?55459-Quick-Cauliflower-quot-Bhaji-quot-(Gobi-Ki-Bhaji)
  • missysuevest01
    missysuevest01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mash it and make it up like a baked potato so good
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    roasted...also creamy cauliflower soup
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    I make cauliflower rice allot. Blend it up into tiny pieces. In a fry pan, melt butter, add cauliflower, stir fry for a couple minutes, then add maybe a few tablespoon of chicken stock, cover with lid and let steam for another few minutes. I'm not sure why but its so friggen good!!

I do Cauliflower Fried Rice frequently. If you are careful with the oil, add peas and carrots and onions, some low sodium soy sauce it turns out pretty darn good. We make it with grilled chicken and oriental sauces that aren't too over the top on calories. It really drops the carbs and calories of any Chinese entree.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    I love cauliflower but in my market it's been selling for $6.99 a head. I know I can buy frozen but I really prefer the raw so I need to wait till it goes down in price.

HOLY MOLY!! $6.99 a head?!?!? Wow! And here I was blown away by $3.99.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cauliflower*

Cauliflower gets a lot of hate on this board, but it's my favorite veggie. I like to coat in a light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put in the oven

This is my favorite too, except I usually add a little cayenne.

It's also really good in a stir fry.
  • MamaColie2015
    MamaColie2015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Making pizza tomorrow with cauliflower crust! I'm excited!

I've made cauliflower fried rice, it was so yummy and simple. I use sesame oil in mine instead of evoo. It makes it taste very authentic.
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1. Soup: Saute chopped cauliflower with oil, garlic, and whatever spices you like, add some vegetable broth and throw it in a blender- YUM...plus you can always top it with scallion, turkey bacon, ,etc
    2. My father always made cauliflower and meatballs with gravy over pasta
    3. Use a ricer to make Cauliflower Fried Rice- tons of recipes online
    4. I love cauliflower with Keema on top!

After you've made your cauliflower however you like, sprinkle some white Truffle finishing salt on it. Cauliflower and truffle are flavor pals and using the finishing salt is so much tastier, it's got no fat since it's not oil and you don't need much at all to add a TON of flavor.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options

KellieTru wrote: »

HOLY MOLY!! $6.99 a head?!?!? Wow! And here I was blown away by $3.99.

Ya same here $6.99/head! If I saw 3.99 I'd make every recipe on this thread!! Really liking the buffalo idea! Book marking this thread! Thanks for the delicious ideas!
  • muffinzmom
    muffinzmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to boil cauliflower and pasta together then drain and serve with laughing cow cheese and parmesan..