Cauliflower anyone?

Options

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    We made this for a Thanksgiving starter. Also Delicious!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-garlic-soup
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Embarrassed! ;) I have posted to this thread already. Woops!
  • LadyMalady
    Options
    If you like Indian food, there are tons of recipes that include cauliflower. Control the oil to your needs. You really don't need much if you use non-stick pans.

Also, you don't need to have all spices. Just get a basic garam masala powder or curry powder and you are set. :smile:

http://showmethecurry.com/subzis-vegetables/aloo-gobi-masala-spiced-cauliflower-and-potatoes.html
    http://showmethecurry.com/appetizers/tawa-gobi-pan-seared-cauliflower.html

• LadyMalady
    Options
    This is also a delicious, simple recipe that I make often:

http://susrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/03/cauliflower-egg-burji.html
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    and just a note to those that like cauliflower...you can eat the green leaves and stalk that are on the base of the cauliflower. I see so many recipes that say to cut them off and throw them out, but they are tasty and have the same high quality nutrition as the main part of the cauliflower. I chop them and the stem and put them into stir fry or steam them.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower chicken shiritaki pasta with sundried tomato pesto (and a sprinkling of parmesian)... last night. SOOOOO good.

1 bag frozen cauliflower.
    1 bag shiritaki noodles
    2 rotisserie chicken breasts (chopped)
    1 small jar - sundried tomato pesto (I used Priano brand).
    cheese before serving...

comes out to 2 servings - and so I had lunch today, too... SO yummy. :)
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I too have become a fan of Cauliflower, and this is one of the recipes I like to use:
    Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower
    1 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely minced
    Lemon juice from half a lemon(optional)
    1 Tbsp Olive oil
    1 Tbsp Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
    ½ cup Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut cauliflower into florets and put in a single layer in an oven-proof baking dish. Toss in the garlic. Sprinkle lemon juice over cauliflower and drizzle each piece with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If the oven hasn't reached 400°F yet, set aside until it has.

Place casserole in the hot oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is lightly brown. Test with a fork for desired doneness. Fork tines should be able to easily pierce the cauliflower. Remove from oven and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
  • lorbie49
    lorbie49 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love it "riced". The easiest way I have found to get it to the right consistency is to chop it coarsely and toss it in my Ninja ( I imagine any blender would work) and cover it with water. Pulse it until it is all chopped into small rice sized bits. Pour it through a colander to drain and there you have it. Easy Peasy :) I stir fry it in a pan on medium heat with whatever seasonings and veggies that I want in it. The possibilites are pretty endless really. It isnt rice...but its a good lo cal, lo carb alternative. Top it with whatever you would normally use rice for...yummy.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love using it instead of rice, it's so clever!
    Also goes great in curries instead of meat, bulks it up and fills you up too!
    Cauliflower puree works well with loads of meals. And my personal fave is this...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower/

IT'S AMAZING x
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Roasted with olive oil and garlic salt.

(it only gets hate when it people try to make it into food it isn't, like pizza crust or cookies)

this.

I love it- sliced/sauteed/roasted/seared.

all good stuff.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My favorite form of cauliflower is pickled. In a sweet mix, or in giardiniera - both are good. (If you like salt and vinegar, try giardiniera)

Must admit that when I have cauliflower these days, more often than not it's the SteamFresh Lightly Seasoned Garlic Cauliflower...
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Roasted with broccoli, using olive oil, S and P, and Garlic powder... Once done, sprinkle a little Parmesan or Romano cheese. Just keep an eye on it when roasting so that it doesn't exceed your tenderness/crispness preference.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We eat this a lot:

TWICE BAKED FAUX "POTATOES"

1 lg pkg cauliflower
    4 oz of lowfat cream cheese
    1 Tbsp margarine
    4 oz of shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
    6 slices cooked, cut up turkey bacon
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook cauliflower according to package directions. Drain well in colander and pat dry with paper towels.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, cream cheese, margarine, and pepper and use a mixer to blend well.

Pour mixture into a baking dish, top with cheese and bacon.

Bake at 375 until cheese melts.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This is good, too:

Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower

1 large bag frozen cauliflower
    1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 Tbsp Smart Balance margarine
    1/3 cup fat free Half & Half
    3 oz. shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp parsley

Cook cauliflower according to package directions. Drain cauliflower well.

Add cheese, garlic, onion powder, margarine, Half & Half, cheddar cheese, pepper and parsley. Heat for a minute.

Mix in food processor until smooth. Serve.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Chop, drizzle with a little oil, generously coat with black pepper, garlic powder and ceyenne and roast in a hot oven until it starts to brown. Heaven!
  • Hbhappygirl
    Hbhappygirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As a healthier cooking alternative to olive oil, roast using Refined Coconut Oil (make sure it is refined, otherwise it will taste like coconut). Not only is refined coconut oil super healthy for you but it also does not oxidize at very high temperature, so roasting/broiling works really great. And I promise you, it will NOT taste like coconuts!
  • nogrows
    nogrows Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I completely love cauliflower (I always have cauliflower for my birthday meal, yummy). At this moment I really like this recipe
    http://www.volrecepten.nl/click/index/3814327/?site=soepkipje.blogspot.nl .
    It is in Dutch, so I will translate:
    wt8kxm58xg1j.jpg

You will need:
    1 Cauliflower (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
    5 tbsp olive oil (you can use less, I usually use 3)
    1 tsp curry powder (I usually use way more like 10)
    1 tsp cumin grounded (i usually use 5)
    .25 tsp garlic powder
    0.5 tsp turmeric
    0.5 tsp coriander grounded
    0.5 tsp ginger
    pinch of chili powder
    Optional homemade low cal tzatziki

Put the cauliflower in a bowl (one with a lid is easier), add all the other ingredients, put on the lid, mix real hard. Put on a baking sheet. Then put in the oven for about 30 min (180C or 350F).

I like to make so low cal tzatziki and use it as a dip.

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    As a healthier cooking alternative to olive oil, roast using Refined Coconut Oil (make sure it is refined, otherwise it will taste like coconut). Not only is refined coconut oil super healthy for you but it also does not oxidize at very high temperature, so roasting/broiling works really great. And I promise you, it will NOT taste like coconuts!

Olive oil is completely healthy too lol...