what the hell im i supposed to eat tomorrow on THANKSGIVING!!!

Options
we are having dinner at a friends house,
i know theres gonna be potato salad,
the turkey, chicken, cheesecake for dessert and other delicios food,
and i know im gonna want to eat all of those things.
should i just not go?
or what should i do?
I cant control myself too much when there's a lot of food
helppp!!!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you eat potato salad, the turkey, chicken, cheesecake for dessert and other delicios food
  • ccecci92
    ccecci92 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you eat potato salad, the turkey, chicken, cheesecake for dessert and other delicios food
    yeah but i dont think thats gonna help me lose pounds
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    ccecci92 wrote: »

so what
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One meal on one day isn't going to sabotage your weight loss program. Just make sure you get some exercise in tomorrow, even if its just a walk after dinner. Drink plenty of water before dinner to prevent over eating.
  • ccecci92
    Options

so what

i weight 210 thats what
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it's going to be a lifestyle, you're gonna have to figure out how to live it. Start small, don't expect perfection. Make a reasonable goal for the day.
  • ccecci92
    Options
    If it's going to be a lifestyle, you're gonna have to figure out how to live it. Start small, don't expect perfection. Make a reasonable goal for the day.

i think im gonna end up dissapointed
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eat what sounds good and don't make yourself crazy worrying about it. Put reasonable portions of all the yummy things on your plate and eat them. Wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, go get some more yummy things. If not, have a little bit of dessert if you haven't already. But don't freak out about it. Stress and worrying about what you will/ will not eat can make it harder to not overeat (because you spend all day thinking about food).

Above all, remember that this is just one day out of the entire year. If you go a little overboard this one day it isn't going to make you instantly gain 10 pounds of fat. You can always hit the gym and get back on goal Friday.
  • ccecci92
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Do you plan to avoid Thanksgiving for the rest of your life? As well as Christmas? Birthdays?

Not every day of your life has to be about losing weight. Some days should be a welcome and much needed break. This isn't a race. You don't get bonus points for losing weight really fast. For that what you'll get is loose skin.

Go have Thanksgiving. Then go to the gym a little harder on Friday. Live your life. Don't diet.
    but i just started MFP last week

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    agree.gif
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sounds a wee bit like whining to me ... everyone gave you good advice.
  • ccecci92
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Sounds a wee bit like whining to me ... everyone gave you good advice.
    maybe im just whiney lol

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It is NOT what you do on Thanksgiving...it is what you do the day after
  • janellereasoner
    janellereasoner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everything is ok in moderation. Just have one plate if you can, and enjoy your holiday! You won't be happy if you deprive yourself of a special day!
    Try to focus on eating the white meat turkey (it's lower-calorie) and be sure to eat some vegetables! If you go over your calories for ONE DAY, it's not going to make a difference...just get back to it on Friday :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's one day, don't worry too much. My strategy for days like that is portion control. Have a little bit of everything and then seconds of the stuff you can't resist. Try to limit liquid calories. And just accept ahead of time you will eat over your goal. Then get up the next morning and get back on the horse. You might not lose weight this week, but you're going to have weeks like that every once in a while, that's life. Have fun :drinker:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    DO NOT SKIP THE MEAL. You need to make a lifestyle of this, and that means having a social life.

CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE: "I can't control myself" --> YES, you can! It helps to have a plan. Choose which of the foods you will allow yourself, or decide ahead of time that you can fill your plate ONCE (personally, I get one appetizer plate and one dinner plate and if there are desserts, one of those too). The most important thing in limiting your calories is to avoid the grazing that these kinds of events so often involve.

YOU GOTTA MOVE IT, MOVE IT: do something active, either before you go our with your friends/ family. If nothing else, it gets us away from the food for an hour or two.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to avoid Thanksgiving for the rest of your life? As well as Christmas? Birthdays?

Not every day of your life has to be about losing weight. Some days should be a welcome and much needed break. This isn't a race. You don't get bonus points for losing weight really fast. For that what you'll get is loose skin.

Go have Thanksgiving. Then go to the gym a little harder on Friday. Live your life. Don't diet.
    but i just started MFP last week

That's ok. If you'd been here two days or two years the advice would be the same.

Enjoy good food and time with your family. The site will still be here on Friday. And so will you. You'll be just fine.

All of this!

Don't stress over it, definitely go enjoy your friends, family & cheesecake oh and everything else.
  • ccecci92
    Options
    thanks for the grat advice everyone!!! i think im just gonna have light and healthy food for breakfast and lunch and exercise a lot before that dinner