So ladies, what would a short guy have to do to get you to date them?

Options
Uhfgood
Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
So quick background before I go into the topic in question: I'm 39, and 5'4" straight male, who's never been on a date in his life and probably will never be on one, mainly because of social anxiety, that said.

We've heard about how for the most part women like taller men, it's a fact of life. You may be the exception to the rule. I'm mostly curious. I'm not interested in things that make guys datable because there is tons of info everywhere telling you how you should act and what to do. I'm talking strictly if a short male (shorter than you are) wanted to date you, what would he have to do to get you to look his way? Or if you would even consider a man shorter than you are as dating material.

I'm mostly curious because we short guys usually get short shrift in a lot of things, that's why you have guys with napoleon complexes and short dudes who really are jerks because of their height. (I'm not one of those however, I'm usually pretty personable when around people even though I'm normally too nervous for any social interaction.)

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    He would need to be confident enough to not think of his height as some sort of dating handicap. Confident in general really. So you're short, so what? It shouldn't even cross your mind. That's how you get it done.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Confidence and humor... my bf is 5'4"... and I'm 5'3". Technically he's taller than me? But it was his funnyness and confidence that won me over. <3
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Are women really that fixated on a man's height?
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Are women really that fixated on a man's height?

I know right. The nerve. Usually girth and length, but not height.

LOL oh you! I was being serious....it's definitely not the first thing I notice about a man

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You can be short but exude a BIG presence.

I don't think it's so much the height as a woman just not feeling safe enough with you. (i.e. not enough confidence, mousy, etc.)

• BRB_sardines
    BRB_sardines Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    He would need to be confident enough to not think of his height as some sort of dating handicap. Confident in general really. So you're short, so what? It shouldn't even cross your mind. That's how you get it done.

/thread
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The majority of my exes have been shorter than me (I'm a hair under 5'10''). I don't wear heels often unless I'm going somewhere solo or with platonic friends. I'm much more concerned about who a person is and their personality then their height. Confidence FTW. That being said, I think most people probably have deal breaker extremes. I would not feel comfortable dating a guy that was 5'2'' or had a face like the dude in Mask (1985 movie).

edited for typo
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I married a man who is my height (maybe an inch shorter than me, depending on how good his posture is that day). The first thing that caught my eye was that he was good-looking (which is subjective to the person). Other than that, he is a really sweet, loving, funny guy.

The short of it: I noticed him for his looks, but I married him for his personality/character.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    is 5'8 short......
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    MacLean12 wrote: »
    is 5'8 short......

Depends. Next to JJ Watt, yes. Next to me, nope. :wink:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'3", so it doesn't take much to be taller than me. I have dated men who are pretty short, though, and didn't think much of it unless he said something about it. If I like someone, writing him off because of his height seems downright silly to me.
  • 1jenandtonic
    1jenandtonic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm married and have been out of the dating scene for a while... but I'd say someone who is genuinely themselves (not trying to impress or perform), kindness and sense of humor would make me pay attention to someone that I may not initially be drawn to (because I was bigger than him.. I'm 5'7). I think a lot of people have had someone who was the ideal package physically, but lacked on the emotional/personality front. While a shorter guy may not have the same quantity of initial female interest as a super tall guy... the quality of your interactions with women is totally in your court and not dependent on your height. :)
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Humor, cute face and look for a shorter woman. You need to get that confidence up!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Wear lifts in his shoes.

Kidding of course.

Seriously, I have never considered height to be a criterium when looking at men to date. For me it is a non issue. Of course I am not quite 5'3". But there are plenty of petite women out there who aren't looking for 6-footers. In high school I had a huge crush on a boy just an inch or two taller than me. But he always had another girlfriend. My college boyfriend was 5'4" (and ended up marrying a woman a few inches taller than him). My next serious boyfriend claimed to be 5'6"...but that's my dad's height and he was at least an inch shorter than my father.

I think there are a lot of women who say they won't date a man who is short, or fat, or bald but then they meet the right short/fat/bald guy and their mind is changed. I ended up marrying a tallish guy...but he's also overweight (the only thing thin about him is his hair). Bt I fell in love with his heart and his mind, and the body was art of the package...and I came to adore the whole package.

Your height is not the issue. But your social anxiety is. I don't know if you have sought therapy for this...but I imagine it could really be beneficial.
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    As long as he's not a jerk and have a great personality and ooze confidence then he is a winner to me.. i think you should work on yourself first before anything else.. good luck
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in trying. Unless you're tall, super confident and a bit arrogant and straight forward, women aren't interested and will make you feel as *kitten* as possible about it.
  • meeyuh
    meeyuh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agreed with those that said confidence is key. If you point it out and show you're not confident in yourself because of your height, we'll notice it. Just like maybe some guys don't notice that a girl has love handles until she points it out and displays her insecurity. I prefer a guy that makes me laugh and is a good guy. Height not being an issue.

That being said, I have dated a couple of guys that were my height or shorter. Didn't work out for various reasons, but how tall they were had nothing to do with it. In fact, it's easier to kiss shorter guys in my opinion. :p