Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Real or Artificial? The Christmas tree debate.

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    For those posting house pictures, they are gorgeous. When can I move in? Seriously, I have been doing artificial since my husband started traveling, and my grown sons, who are still home with me, started working unpredictable shifts. Plus, we got rid of a minivan that died, which we used to use to transport the tree. I'm not sorry. I just have one son bring it upstairs, and we put it together, and then decorate. We used to fight over how straight the real one was, keeping it from tilting, fall over, etc. Plus, I'd be sweeping needles up into May.
  • kpop82
    kpop82 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Artificial! The real ones hurt when you step on fallen needles and frankly, I freak out about fire hazards.
    Plus pre-lit is a pretty amazing thing.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Artificial for the house, but a real one in the garden B)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm not only going for real...but living.

There are several different companies that do it, but they keep the trees in pots, deliver it to you (because it's so heavy) you keep it a month, they pick it up and grow the trees for the upcoming year and it will be someone else's tree next year.

It's my first year doing it, but it's supposed to have far fewer needles shedding, its good for the environment..and it's kinda awesome.

http://www.livingchristmas.com/
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Gawanne79 wrote: »
    Does anybody still make the pre Christmas tree old English kissing boughs? Two large hoops, made into a ball shape, each one wound with holly and fir, suspended from the ceiling with a red/green tartan ribbon and with real mistletoe at the bottom. Great if you have a big hall, and what an excuse for dear old uncle as he comes in.

No...but that sounds awesome!

Do you have a picture you could post? Or is there a picture on the internet that is similar? I saw a few different versions when I searched.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Like most guys, I don't care if they are real or fake. I may say I don't like fake ones but that is only to appear less superficial in an effort to convince you to show me your real one(s). Occasionally the real ones are messy and get droopy while the fake ones are pretty obvious but no less appealing.

For the record, I've only experienced real ones but I would not turn down a chance to check out some fake ones.

• Gawanne79
    Gawanne79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi joannah700 I'm so sorry I don't have a picture, but they are really pretty and you can find how to make them on the Internet under Christmas kissing bough-home-city of Pickering. I'm new to the Internet and not very good at it! Anyway I believe they were originally Celt or Druid in origin and it would have been a great way to sneak a crafty kiss in more decorous times before queen Victoria's husband introduced the Christmas tree. Once the hoops are covered in greenery you can hang glass ornaments or anything you fancy from them, and I have a light inside mine. The important bit though is the mistletoe and it was believed if you grabbed a berry whilst kissing that would be the one you married. Worked for me! LOL
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »

Because fake trees are fake. Real ones smell like Christmas.
    Lol, I have redwood and fir trees all around my yard. Heck when I rake it smells like Christmas all year around.
    All I have to do is open a window.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Lol if we all can only be so lucky to have your credentials and outside decor. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Because fake trees are fake. Real ones smell like Christmas.
    Lol, I have redwood and fir trees all around my yard. Heck when I rake it smells like Christmas all year around.
    All I have to do is open a window.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol if we all can only be so lucky to have your credentials and outside decor. :laugh:
    I'd trade my credentials for the Mega Millions winning lotto numbers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Joannah700
    Options
    Gawanne79 wrote: »
    Hi joannah700 I'm so sorry I don't have a picture, but they are really pretty and you can find how to make them on the Internet under Christmas kissing bough-home-city of Pickering. I'm new to the Internet and not very good at it! Anyway I believe they were originally Celt or Druid in origin and it would have been a great way to sneak a crafty kiss in more decorous times before queen Victoria's husband introduced the Christmas tree. Once the hoops are covered in greenery you can hang glass ornaments or anything you fancy from them, and I have a light inside mine. The important bit though is the mistletoe and it was believed if you grabbed a berry whilst kissing that would be the one you married. Worked for me! LOL

Love it! I found a few online.

And if you do find a picture you can right-click on the photo, and select "copy image url". You can then paste that in the forums here. To make sure it shows up though you need to include [*img] before the url (no spaces) and [*/img] after the url (no spaces).

But take out the * symbol. I only included that here because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see my explanation.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Artificial here! Easier all the way around. No pine needles, no sap, no strong smell. And they come pre-lit! Hello, lazy!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other do. For me, only real in the house. It is the BEST quality time with my family and friends, and I LOVE being outdoors.

Just back Sunday from our annual trip.

10802554_1508385109411814_710598286_n.jpg

Pre-trimmed, just letting it settle a few days.
    10802781_1510300985918767_1312239089_n.jpg

• jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Real all the way!! The smell of pine I love
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Artificial. Allergies. Achoo.
  • laurasuzie3
    laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Artificial. I hate bugs and the smell of pine.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Fake all the way! Fake with flocked snow, and two little tinsel trees (themed). I love Xmas! (didn't get it growing up). Everyone freaked out that I never used real trees, so I caved and got one , one year. I picked it out at night and didn't know you need to make sure it's straight, (DOH). The friggin thing was awful, the needles dropped everywhere, and it was tippy as heck, and then ended up falling over and killing half my ornament collection (which I admit was due to my own stupidity). So fake, fake, fake. Plus, I feel kinda bad that a tree got cut down just for me. I'm tenderhearted like that.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    We had a few years of real when I was a kid (not so long ago, as I'm 19) but we've only had artificial for a long time. The same one, it stayed in the attic when we had the real ones. It's more environmentally friendly even if it's falling apart after 14 years! The pine needles were always a pain to hoover even if I liked the smell, and then it goes all brown after Christmas which makes me sad :c
  • jayheyjay
    jayheyjay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Real 100%