Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Real or Artificial? The Christmas tree debate.

Options

Replies

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Love seeing all the trees! I have an artificial tree, but I've had real trees in the past. Either is fine with me!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I might be the only person I know who doesn't like the smell of real Christmas trees. Sorry folks who use them, but they stink. The smell is overwhelming, and if I wanted to smell it, I'd go to the real woods. Which wouldn't be a bad idea if I wanted to see real trees.

I grew up with fake trees, and that's what I stick to. For many reasons.

1) While the initial price tag is often more, in the long run they're cheaper. You don't have to buy a new one every year, after all.
    2) No maintenance.
    3) Easier to pick one out as they're all the same. They do have variety, of course, but once you know which one you want, they're mass produced. So, it's simply easier to choose.
    4) Convenience is a factor. No cutting down. While there are places that sell them, it's more likely you'll live near places that stock the fake ones. So, less travel if you don't go the cut down route. Well, actually, less travel period. Unless you get the real one from WalMart... but do people really do that? Theirs are never that nice.
    5) You can pick up a fake one the same time you buy your ornaments. Once again, convenience.
    6) Fake ones sometimes come prelit. Who doesn't like that?
    7) They come in many styles, colors, etc that real trees can't. Which means you can switch it up sometimes, too.
    8) It's just what my mom did, so it's what I do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    moijo1 wrote: »
    real, i love the smell etc.. but my hubby woulndt let me have a real one after having one for the first couple of years, so ive got a big fake one and he wants me to downsize to a little one this year :(

hr786xsz0fof.jpg
    7 or 8 ft? Lol, too small a tree would make it look "cluttered".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Bought our 2015 ornament today after lunch in Stonestown Galleria in SF. Celebrating our 17th Anniversary today!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I have a cute slender tree I put in a corner and a red tree that goes in my son's room. I let him pick out the ornaments for it but it looks great with white ornaments.
  • moijo1
    moijo1 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    real, i love the smell etc.. but my hubby woulndt let me have a real one after having one for the first couple of years, so ive got a big fake one and he wants me to downsize to a little one this year :(

hr786xsz0fof.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

8ft lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options

hr786xsz0fof.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

8ft lol
    Nice! I almost got one, but would have to put it in a different area to fit and my DW wasn't having that. So 7ft worked.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    When I lived in my home in Maine which was almost two acres of pine trees we always went out and cut one fresh each year but now that we're in the City I just stick with an artificial tree. I really hate to see all the ones left over at the Christmas tree lots that are then left to die! So sad as they take so long to grow to that size!
  • Jess1989ica
    Jess1989ica Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    Needs to be real!
  • moijo1
    moijo1 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

hr786xsz0fof.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

8ft lol
    Nice! I almost got one, but would have to put it in a different area to fit and my DW wasn't having that. So 7ft worked.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

haha the bigger the better i always say ;)
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I personally do artIficial. Less messy and more cost effective. If you want the pine smell, go get some scented warmers lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I grew up with artificial trees. I think my dad maybe had a real one once. I have an artificial tree that someone gave me for free so I will use that until it falls apart.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just picked ours up on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The place we get ours cuts fresh trees every week to bring to the lot from their land up north. They are awesomely fresh until well after New Years...never had a problem with needles dropping and drying out in the 12+ years we've been getting our tree at Roybal's Trees. The lot is right around the corner from my house so we just walk the tree home.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I always had a real tree. Every single branch was covered in tacky tinsel that my mother insisted be hung one tinsel strand at a time. It took hours to do the tree, sometimes days. Fast forward...I was a single parent of four at one time in my life. I couldn't afford many gifts and a tree was just not in the budget. I felt horrible that I had no tree for my little ones. The day after Christmas, I found a 6' tree on clearance for $10. I have had that same tree for 15 years now.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    OhMaryMack wrote: »
    I feel bad about killing a tree for my amusement.

Personally, having spent a majority of my life outdoors, I find this sentiment weird. There are limited numbers of permits in most states, and in many they don't sell out. And even if 1000's of trees were cut, it wouldn't even put a dent in the forests.

Commercial cutting and clear cutting. Those are real issues.

Just got back Sunday cutting down this years tree. House smells amazing.

12331844_1486417724998037_1460140046_n.jpg

• ninerbuff
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just picked ours up on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The place we get ours cuts fresh trees every week to bring to the lot from their land up north. They are awesomely fresh until well after New Years...never had a problem with needles dropping and drying out in the 12+ years we've been getting our tree at Roybal's Trees. The lot is right around the corner from my house so we just walk the tree home.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg
    Nice! Looks like you got in some extra cardio too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I prefer real but use an artificial because of space constraints
    my parents are very traditional. glass ornaments and a TON of tinsel
    5313090054_b666412728.jpg
  • yusaku02