How do you find the time for exercise?

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd like to start exercising again, I was doing well in the first week of my new health changes until a nightly workout got me so sore I could barely move for two days and havn't been able to get back into it since (this was about 6-7 weeks ago now).

There are just not enough hours in the day, and I am so NOT a morning person to be able to get up early and work out. I typically throw myself into bed around 12-1Am and am up at 7:30am at the latest to get ready and out the door for work.

I get home from work around 5:30pm and then I start getting supper situated and usually finish up cooking/eating around 7pm....then its time to take the pooch out for his nightly round (about 20-30min usually, which is some movement but sometimes much of it is spent just standing and not moving lol).

By this time I'm exhausted and just come back and sit on the computer for pretty much the rest of the evening, to take care of some forum duities I have as a guide (it's a poker forum) and do a little playing and before I know it it's midnight and so its time to get to bed and do it all again.

How on earth am I suppose to get possibly an hour's workout into this, not to mention our apartment is so couped up that I have to shift around a couch and chair to make room to workout.......feels like I'll probably never get back into it.

Maybe someone has some suggestions for me?

Cheers.

Holy cow. I can't even fathom going to bed at 1am. I have no advice, but maybe a little perspective will help:
    I get up at 5am to cook breakfast, feed dogs, and walk dogs.
    By 6:30, I am out the door to feed my livestock (at least get the feed in buckets)
    I come inside around 6:45 to have breakfast before my husband goes to work.
    Im back out from 7:05-8:30, feeding and cleaning waterers.
    Every other day, I have to change bedding in all 12 rabbit hutches and both chicken pens.
    Twice a week, I scrub and sanitize all 50 feeders and all the waterers.
    I finish my coffee and at 9, I walk my dogs five miles.
    Then it's cleaning, laundry, proofing bread, making toothpaste, and doing dishes.
    I shower by noon, then it's out to chop enough wood to cook dinner with since my oven went out.
    I collect acorns, roots, etc to feed the hog. I try to get a few five gallon buckets a day.
    I collect pinecones for the rabbits so I don't have to trim their teeth.
    I get a fire going by 3:30, and start working on dinner. I try to have it done by 5:30, so I can start gathering my feed buckets and putting them in the store room for the next day.
    We eat dinner by 6, walk and feed the dogs, clean litterboxes, fold clothes, maybe do some knitting or sewing, and organize sales.
    I am in bed, checking email and shutting down for the night by 8:30.

Right now, im up even earlier because one of my dairy goats has mastitis and has to be milked completely dry and medicated twice a day.

Several times a month, I spend 6+ hours processing rabbits, ducks, and chickens for the freezer.

By march I will be milking 7 goats, moving babies from pen to pen, making yogurt, and making cheese. I should also have pigs that are breeding age by then.

My point? You aren't being very active. Walk the dog a little more, quit playing poker at night. I really, REALLY enjoy my lifestyle-but I have NO time to pick a bunch of metal weights up and down for an hour. I substitute that for throwing 100lb bales of hay over a fence three times a day, walking my dogs at a fast walk or jog at LEAST 6-7 miles a day, and chopping wood. If you want it, you'll make it work.

Hey.. didn't you already post this in the "Introduce Yourself" section?
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree. I'm the laziest slug out there but if you really want to do it, you will. I hate getting up early but I also know that, being lazy, chances are I won't do what I agreed to when I get home because I'll want a nap. So I take the stairs to another floor when I need to use the bathroom. I take the long way to the break room to get another cup of tea. I park clear in the back. On nice days I walk 20-30 minutes around the lake/property. On crappy days, I walk the stairwell. I stand if I'm printing a lot. I do heel/calf raises while at the copy machine.

Once I admitted I was lazy and everything else was just an excuse, I found a way to make it happen.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You're asking the wrong question entirely.
    Time isn't your problem. You have plenty of time.

Go read a post or two from some of the single moms or dads, or those with deployed spouses. Those who have a full time job, a long commute, kids to feed and bathe, multiple lunches to pack, dozens of loads of laundry, and legos constantly underfoot, without a single hand to help them. Those are the people who don't have the time.

You have the time. You have enough time to exercise for you- and them.

I don't usually consider myself as being part of the tough love crowd. But this just begs for a little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

My point? You aren't being very active. Walk the dog a little more, quit playing poker at night. I really, REALLY enjoy my lifestyle-but I have NO time to pick a bunch of metal weights up and down for an hour. I substitute that for throwing 100lb bales of hay over a fence three times a day, walking my dogs at a fast walk or jog at LEAST 6-7 miles a day, and chopping wood. If you want it, you'll make it work.

you don't substitute weight lifting for ranching- you do ranch work because it is needed. that's what you do.

it's not a substitute for weight lifting- and I"m not negating that it's not hard work- but those are chores that need to be done- not something you're doing to improve your life.

those are two different balls of wax.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There are just not enough hours in the day, and I am so NOT a morning person to be able to get up early and work out. I typically throw myself into bed around 12-1Am and am up at 7:30am at the latest to get ready and out the door for work.

I get home from work around 5:30pm and then I start getting supper situated and usually finish up cooking/eating around 7pm....then its time to take the pooch out for his nightly round (about 20-30min usually, which is some movement but sometimes much of it is spent just standing and not moving lol).

By this time I'm exhausted and just come back and sit on the computer for pretty much the rest of the evening, to take care of some forum duities I have as a guide (it's a poker forum) and do a little playing and before I know it it's midnight and so its time to get to bed and do it all again.

1. Go to bed at 10p, wake up at 5:30a, and workout prior to work.
    2. Pre-cook you meals so you aren't spending 1.5 hours cooking and eating. Or, become a more efficient cook.
    3. 7:30 until 12a is unused time, 3 nights a week, hit the gym at 5:30p, work out until 7pm, go home and cook, which should be done by 7:45-8pm. Take the dog out until 8:30p, relax for remainder.

The big thing is, your post is filled with excuses. You'll have to commit to doing something in order to do something. Part of commitment is actually making time for it.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you don't substitute weight lifting for ranching- you do ranch work because it is needed. that's what you do.

it's not a substitute for weight lifting- and I"m not negating that it's not hard work- but those are chores that need to be done- not something you're doing to improve your life.

Not really. Taking care of yourself is a chore that needs to be done. Otherwise, you die.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    stop wasting time? You know where you're going wrong. If you're not a morning person then you either need to go to bed early (you're off at 530) so you can get up early or you need to manage your time better in the evening. Make yourself a schedule if you have to so you don't get sucked into stuff and spend time on unimportant tasks. Bottom line, you'll make time if you want to. I go to bed around 11 and am up at 530 to work out. I work, go to school, volunteer, and have four kids the youngest being 6 months old. Believe me, the time is there, you just have to find it.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options

JoyeII wrote: »

"Improving your life" is a very broad statement. That being said, I was a competitive powerlifter for several years and am in better shape now than I was then. Instead of doing minimum work 90% of the day and working out 10% of the day, I am now heavily active 95% of the day. My arrhythmia has never felt better! :)

And the biggest ball of wax is the excuse of time-I could tell myself I don't have time to make bread or hang laundry or repair socks and we could certainly live without me doing those things-but I have my schedule set in a certain way that allows me to do those things.
    OP plays on the computer for four hours and says there aren't enough hours in the day. We all get 24 hours a day, some of us just use them better.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It isn't easy at times but "being sore" is not a good reason.(especially for 6 weeks) It helps tremendously if you have a partner who can help you out by motivating and encouraging you. It also helps when your children are a little older. That being said, you have to want it bad enough. You have to let some things go. It is too important!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I would agree feverently with your last statement... some of us do use them better than others. Compared to many people I waste significant amounts of time on line- or watching TV. But I never skip workouts- I'm the laziest working out person you'll ever meet LOL.

I just don't think doing daily chores is the same comparison as going out of your way to workout.

I grew up on a horse ranch. I did many of those things- AND I worked out- because while throwing hay and handling horses and doing all the things is work- it's just not the same.
    I was BETTER at handling my chores daily b/c of my working out.

I think saying you're in better shape now is probably inaccurate.

For competitive power lifting- no- you aren't in better shape now.
    But for ranching- back then- you probably weren't in very good shape for that either. So just saying "you're in better shape now" probably isn't accurate- because really- it's more about end game and what your goals are.

And like I said- I'm not negating that ranch work is hard work- but you HAVE to do those things because you've chosen to own a ranch- and animals- and that requires taking care of them. Like it or not.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Not really. Taking care of yourself is a chore that needs to be done. Otherwise, you die.

We will all die. Taking care of yourself is a chore. That sucks if it is for you.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

We will all die. Taking care of yourself is a chore. That sucks if it is for you.

Approved.
  • dangie2002
    dangie2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I understand the "I'm not a morning person" statement. I worked night shift for 16 years. For the last 3 years, I've been on days. Initially, I hated getting up at 6am to go to work, it was painful getting up. I would say, "I will work out when I get home" and never did, always making an excuse to avoid working out. When I finally began exercising, I decided in my mind that I was going to make mornings my time. My time for physical, emotional, and spiritual health. I start my days off taking care of me before I go take care of someone else. So I drag my butt out of bed at 5:30am, 5-6 days a week to take care of me. I can't tell you what a positive difference it had made. In June, I could only do a modified plank for less than 5 seconds. Now, I can do a full plank for 75 seconds. I document my activities. I love seeing my fitness level increase. I love the "high" I feel after working out. It took me 4 weeks to adjust to physical activity. Now I have less pain and am happier mentally. I have better self-esteem. I look better. Sometimes, you have to make yourself do things and fight for the results you want. Make a list of your goals and write out the steps of how you will achieve them. Make them your top priority. I know personally, I'm fighting for my life, quality of life and health. I still have over 100# to go, I know it is a long journey. I'm celebrating my small NSV and milestones along the way. You can do this too!!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Yes, we will all die. However, you will die sooner and not have much quality of life if you don't take care of yourself. That was my point. And, if you're not willing to admit that it sometimes feels like a chore to work out, you're lying.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yes, we will all die. However, you will die sooner and not have much quality of life if you don't take care of yourself. That was my point. And, if you're not willing to admit that it sometimes feels like a chore to work out, you're lying.

If you are asking me if I feel lifting weights is a chore. lets see. I have skipped class to workout. I have done that a lot. I have skipped family occasions to workout. I have paid lots of day memberships at friends gyms when mine is close. I have worked out at least 50 times between hours of 12-4 am when that is my sleep time. My workouts are not a chore and no they do not feel like that since I probably put priorities that should be higher below working out.

It sucks that you have not found an exercise you love to the point of it doing what it has done for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't find time, you make time instead of making excuses.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Make time or make excuses

I am the father of 7 and lost 100lbs

It is up to you to make it happen.
  • JoRocka
    Options

meh- arguable.
    - I mean I get it- working out isn't always "fun" and sometimes you would rather sit on the couch- but you go do it.

But I still don't rank it as a chore. A chore is something that MUST be done. the cats MUST be fed. the litter needs to be scooped- the dishes and trash need to be taken care of.

for me I will always work out- it isn't so much a chore- I'd rather do that then all the things listed above. (Well except the cat feeding- I mean that takes 5 seconds)... it's not a chore- chore implies things that need doing regardless of weather- personal circumstances- emotions- or any sort of outside influence.

you MUST do them.

working out I do because I love.

secondly- it will improve the quality of your current life- but there are plenty of older folks who don't work out and live long lives.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person but less of a night person. I get up at 4:50 am do a 20 min workout DVD, get ready for work and leave. I have a 45 km commute each way, 9 hr work day and still go to boot camp twice a week in the evening and do 30-60 mins of walking or jogging depending on conditions the other nights. Sorry but it does sound like you are making excuses instead of just shutting down the computer and doing it. Just go to bed earlier, get up earlier and get it done.
  • BluffMeAllIn
    BluffMeAllIn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thx for the feedback all, true it's a must make time as opposed to find time....I get that but guess I just don't make the time and not really any point in listing anything else of excuses although many of the things mentioned currently arn't applicable to be doable (-40 degree weather being one, 120$+ gym membership another, it's just me the spouse hasn't gotton on board with the changes (which involves having to often cook two different meals), I do walk with the dog but i can't exactly keep walking when he stops to take a leak or other business and probably can't do a squat in about 4 layers of clothing).

Anyhow, all excuses I know.......obviously trying to get myself to stop making them and make time in my daily life for exercise but it's not easy regardless of the situation. It's easy for someone currently in a routine, and have made excercise a habbit to say you have to make the time than it is someone who isn't doing it to actually make the time.

I have made lots of changes to my eating for my health and am doing quite well, just trying to find ways to motivate myself to make time for working out without feeling like I'm giving up on ever having free time to relax and take care of some other things that I do like the forum stuff I mentioned and fact that I run poker stakes (ie. I play, they pay, profits split etc) which is as much a commitment as a part-time job.

Cheers to all, I hope someday I will get the committment to working out and find the motivation somewhere....certainly wasn't from this (i know its constructive criticism and I respect that but definitely not a motivation when mainly just everyone saying you just have to make the time..... like everything its easier said than done unless your already doing it).