Cycling Challenge - December 2014 Biking Bike Bicycle

Options
As Per Our Fearless Leader, CricketKate:

Welcome to our December Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fair weather ride for me :) Bike is put away till Feb. Good luck to all that are still getting out there!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 2.1 miles at 9.9mph.

No goal for December.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My goal is to ride on my trainer 3 days per week for at least 45 minutes each time.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanx Sajeffe!!
    Well, I don't have monthly mileage goals. I do have goals, the primary one being to stay in one piece. I've been at goal weight for 5 months, soooooooo, my goal is to stay there/be there on NYD, then I will drop 10-15 slowly, & then stay there the rest of the year. Best wishes to everybody. Now let's get out & enjoy December.

12-1-14 17 miles
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I blew off my November goal, in part because I was unable to ride outside (wholly due to my own dislike of riding in the cold) and in part because I wasn't really committed to counting indoor riding, but I want an incentive to start spinning regularly so I can stay in good biking shape. Plus, there's a small chance I might ride with my dad around Christmas (he's near Portland, where the weather might be better than here).

So my goal is 100 miles.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this challenge. My goal for this month is 200 road miles. I also ride my stationary bike several days a week and am getting a spin bike. But I'll focus on road miles.
  • cjsf3
    cjsf3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this challenge as well. My goal is around 250 miles.
    12/1 17.5 miles, 13.5 mph on mountain bike for commuting in the snow.
  • tramboso
    Options
    My goal is going to be 180 miles. I usually ride 6 miles any time I'm at the gym. If I do 6 miles every day, it should be close to 180. :smile:

12/1- 6.25 miles
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Last month I rode 232 miles, shooting for 250 this month.
    12/1 - 12.9 miles
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    300, mostly on trainer; hope it stop raining just on weekends
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    In for 400 miles. Got the road bike out of the shop yesterday.

12/1 - 25 miles
  • OldDogSparky
    Options
    faugsu wrote: »
    Thanx Sajeffe!!
    I've been at goal weight for 5 months, soooooooo, my goal is to stay there/be there on NYD, then I will drop 10-15 slowly, & then stay there the rest of the year.

That's pretty awesome faugsu!! Given your past performance, you shouldn't have any problem dropping even more.

I'm not setting any goals this month. I've hit my yearly goal, so I'm going to ride/run and enjoy the month.
  • cjsf3
    cjsf3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cjsf3 wrote: »
    I'm new to this challenge as well. My goal is around 250 miles.
    12/1 17.5 miles, 13.5 mph on mountain bike for commuting in the snow.
    12/2 19 miles - running total - 36.5 miles

• sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 2.1 miles at 9.9mph.
    12/2 - 1.8 miles at 9.8mph.

MTD = 3.9 miles.

For December, I'll take what I can get outdoors and continue to ignore my stationary bike in the next room. (I met my weight goal last year so I'm just here to maintain as best I can.)
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We had 38 MPH winds here today. Not atypical during the winter months for us. They also don't plow our streets when it snows. I'm afraid I'll have to stick with walking for a few months. Have fun, everyone!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've used cycling as my main form of exercise. Problem is that i really only get to do it on the weekends. When I first started weighing in at 530lbs. I would get winded riding to the corner from my house I would have to stop every 100 yards or so to catch my breath and start up again. I'm now down to 424 and my good ride was 8.36 miles at 8.1 mph. Not super impressive, but loads of improvement form when i first started. Working on getting a trainer for my bike so i can ride indoors and i live in the country and i haven't worked up the nerve to go riding at night.
  • rarellan
    rarellan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I typically exercise to get in shape for cycling I do about 20 miles a night on my bike trainer and given weather conditions. I may ride during the evenings although I am usually only about to ride on weekends because its about 31 degrees and black ice most evenings when I get home. My goal is to do a few centuries this summer and if possible a nice tour around Eastern Oregon.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    December 2 - rode 24.6 miles for a duration of 1:34:32

December Totals: 24.6 miles -- 1:34:32

November was my month of Singletrack fun.

Goals: December is month one of building a huge base for the 2015 season, and trimming a few pounds back down to fighting weight before the structured training starts in January.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this challenge. Rides will be on a trainer this month as December weather is not fun in Indiana for outside. Goal 250
    12/1 - 0
    12/2 - 20.1

total for December 20.1
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to warm weather. Can't do much biking when it is freezing.