Making a Lifestyle Change (or Plus Sized and OK with it)

Options

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    So this is where all the Meghan Trainor fans are hanging out.

Fail.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Wow, I went away to have a healthy lunch and come back to a couple of PMs that there was a "sh@tstorm" happening in my introduction thread were not lying (thank you, lovely people for the warnings! xo)!

First off, thank you all for taking a moment to chime in. While I don't exactly feel welcomed, I think that this is a teaching moment for all those that think that I have to be free of my fat to be healthy and happy.

This is my journey, not yours. My fat is my business, not yours. You do NOT get to judge me. You know NOTHING about my life, history or motivations. I won't be bullied nor shamed into changing my goals to be more palatable to your worldview.

For those of you who have been very welcoming and messaged/friended me, thank you very much. I appreciate your genuine interest and kindness. I hope that we can all meet our goals together!

XO!
    Tina

Well then, to put this simply . . . don't post on here.

Most people on here are here to get healthy . . . not to stay plus sized. If that's what you want, fantastic. I want to run a 5K, and then a 10K and maybe some point in my life a half marathon. I want to wear a size 10 pants . . . I want to lift heavy and I want to be able to treat myself to the things I want. I don't want a risk of diabetes or high blood pressure or MS (which my mom has and I'm more susceptible to it, it's not genetic but there's a chance) further I have a blood disorder that I was born with that I want to be able to managed without blood thinners. Do you know what it's like to tell people I'm on blood thinners and have been for a majority of my life? Most people associate blood thinners with being fat.

Those are the things I want - the things I think about every single day . . . and I don't post about them on here because there are none of anyone else's business. If you don't want people's comments - good and bad - then don't post on here. If you post, it's fair game.

A size 10 is considered "plus size" to many people. Many size 10's are also technically overweight. When I weigh 180 pounds, I am a size 10. Pretty good size, I think, but at 5'9", I would still be overweight. However, I could also be just a healthy and fit as a smaller woman. I'll say it again- you can be overweight and fit and healthy.

Well considering I came from a size 22 - which is a real plus size - a size 10 is a great goal for me. I never once said it's the end game for me, I said I want to wear it, I want to fit into it.

Size 10 is not a plus size. Plus size lines start at 14. It may be a plus size for models, but a size 10 US is not a plus size. Maybe for some people because anything over a 4 is horrendous to even think about but for most of us out there, size 10 is not a plus size.

You can be overweight and healthy - athletes are overweight and healthy - they are not though, plus sized.
  • fat2fit4good
    Options
    wow... what's with all this "do it 100% or don't do it at all" stuff? Not everything in life has to be 100%... do you really do everything in your life 100%? What if 50% is also great? Do you save 100% of the money you could save? Do you keep up with friends 100% as well as you should? Do you give your work 100%, 100% of the time? Do you donate 100% of the money you could donate? 50% of something good is still good!

I hope MFP doesn't turn us into the weight equivalent of those ex-smokers that will run and gag if they see someone light up a cigarette 50 yards away... :-) it's all good!
  • victoriaalice40
    Options

*get over yourself*

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Wow, I went away to have a healthy lunch and come back to a couple of PMs that there was a "sh@tstorm" happening in my introduction thread were not lying (thank you, lovely people for the warnings! xo)!

First off, thank you all for taking a moment to chime in. While I don't exactly feel welcomed, I think that this is a teaching moment for all those that think that I have to be free of my fat to be healthy and happy.

This is my journey, not yours. My fat is my business, not yours. You do NOT get to judge me. You know NOTHING about my life, history or motivations. I won't be bullied nor shamed into changing my goals to be more palatable to your worldview.

For those of you who have been very welcoming and messaged/friended me, thank you very much. I appreciate your genuine interest and kindness. I hope that we can all meet our goals together!

XO!
    Tina

Well then, to put this simply . . . don't post on here.

Most people on here are here to get healthy . . . not to stay plus sized. If that's what you want, fantastic. I want to run a 5K, and then a 10K and maybe some point in my life a half marathon. I want to wear a size 10 pants . . . I want to lift heavy and I want to be able to treat myself to the things I want. I don't want a risk of diabetes or high blood pressure or MS (which my mom has and I'm more susceptible to it, it's not genetic but there's a chance) further I have a blood disorder that I was born with that I want to be able to managed without blood thinners. Do you know what it's like to tell people I'm on blood thinners and have been for a majority of my life? Most people associate blood thinners with being fat.

Those are the things I want - the things I think about every single day . . . and I don't post about them on here because there are none of anyone else's business. If you don't want people's comments - good and bad - then don't post on here. If you post, it's fair game.

A size 10 is considered "plus size" to many people. Many size 10's are also technically overweight. When I weigh 180 pounds, I am a size 10. Pretty good size, I think, but at 5'9", I would still be overweight. However, I could also be just a healthy and fit as a smaller woman. I'll say it again- you can be overweight and fit and healthy.

Well considering I came from a size 22 - which is a real plus size - a size 10 is a great goal for me. I never once said it's the end game for me, I said I want to wear it, I want to fit into it.

Size 10 is not a plus size. Plus size lines start at 14. It may be a plus size for models, but a size 10 US is not a plus size. Maybe for some people because anything over a 4 is horrendous to even think about but for most of us out there, size 10 is not a plus size.

You can be overweight and healthy - athletes are overweight and healthy - they are not though, plus sized.

Is there an official definition of plus sized? Most US size 10 clothing would be too big for me, and I am overweight by 20 lbs.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being plus size, I like the way my body looks.

But there is a limit, and I know I've passed it, hence MFP. I want to be confident AND healthy, and both of those things are possible while being overweight. :)

I'm at my heaviest weight ever, but I'm also the best cardiovascular fitness level I've ever been at. My blood work and blood pressure are perfect. If that's not healthy, I don't know what is. :)

Good luck on your journey! And congrats on setting goals and not allowing society to tell you they're not good enough! ;)

You're healthy because you're 23. Add another 20+ years to your age and those numbers won't look so good.

That statement is for you and the OP and anyone else who thinks that being overweight is healthy. Statistics show without a doubt that excess weight increases the chances for developing the diseases that we're hear about all the time: heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, stroke, etc. That's not a bunch of internet "haters" telling you what to do, it's just public health data. Don't take your health for granted.

I'll be 51 this year and I'm overweight and the only negative health marker I have that I can control is my weight. I just had my yearly checkup and all my blood work came back fine again. All cancer screens are negative. Stress test was good. Bone density is good. I am healthy and overweight and have been for quite some time.

It's entirely possible that the OP will meet her goal and decide it's not enough. She may decided on a new goal. None of us know whether she will be healthy or not at her current goal. There is nothing at all wrong with having a goal that isn't perfect on paper.

See bolded. I said it increases the chances, not that it WILL cause these problems.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with having a goal that isn't perfect on paper. I have no illusions of being perfect, even at my goal weight, which is still 40+ lbs away. After 20+ years of obesity, 15 years of smoking (quit in 1999), and living life pretty hard, I'm amazed (and thankful) that I'm as healthy as I am. But it's a game of risk and now that I'm older and less stupid, I try to control what I can so I can be around for my kids.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited December 2014
    Options

But there is a limit, and I know I've passed it, hence MFP. I want to be confident AND healthy, and both of those things are possible while being overweight. :)

I'm at my heaviest weight ever, but I'm also the best cardiovascular fitness level I've ever been at. My blood work and blood pressure are perfect. If that's not healthy, I don't know what is. :)

Good luck on your journey! And congrats on setting goals and not allowing society to tell you they're not good enough! ;)

You're healthy because you're 23. Add another 20+ years to your age and those numbers won't look so good.

That statement is for you and the OP and anyone else who thinks that being overweight is healthy. Statistics show without a doubt that excess weight increases the chances for developing the diseases that we're hear about all the time: heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, stroke, etc. That's not a bunch of internet "haters" telling you what to do, it's just public health data. Don't take your health for granted.

I'll be 51 this year and I'm overweight and the only negative health marker I have that I can control is my weight. I just had my yearly checkup and all my blood work came back fine again. All cancer screens are negative. Stress test was good. Bone density is good. I am healthy and overweight and have been for quite some time.

It's entirely possible that the OP will meet her goal and decide it's not enough. She may decided on a new goal. None of us know whether she will be healthy or not at her current goal. There is nothing at all wrong with having a goal that isn't perfect on paper.

See bolded. I said it increases the chances, not that it WILL cause these problems.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with having a goal that isn't perfect on paper. I have no illusions of being perfect, even at my goal weight, which is still 40+ lbs away. After 20+ years of obesity, 15 years of smoking (quit in 1999), and living life pretty hard, I'm amazed (and thankful) that I'm as healthy as I am. But it's a game of risk and now that I'm older and less stupid, I try to control what I can so I can be around for my kids.

See bolded. My point was that adding 20 years is no guarantee that numbers won't still look good. What you do is just as important than what you eat. Probably more so.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Is there an official definition of plus sized? Most US size 10 clothing would be too big for me, and I am overweight by 20 lbs. [/quote]

Nope. "PLUS SIZED" IS SUBJECTIVE. Yes, "plus size" clothing lines often start at a size 14. "Plus size" models often start at a size 10. But the term "plus size" is defined by whoever is using it. I am a size 24 and consider myself plus sized, as most would. I also consider myself plus sized at a size 10.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My goal, based on where I like the look of myself in old photos, is still firmly in the overweight category. Basically, I don't have a goal weight, I have a goal size and that's just to be able to buy clothes from normal stores. I really hate plus size clothes.

I know that for health it's better to be in the healthy weight range, but it's also better to be a size 16 rather than a 22, so it's all relative. I like having curves, and my husband likes them too.

But we will see. Right now I haven't been a 'healthy' weight in more than a decade, so my view of where I want to be is completely skewed. I may get down to where I think I want to be and decide to keep going. I may keep losing weight just because of the lifestyle changes I've made and being happy enough to not switch into maintenance straight away.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

See bolded. My point was that adding 20 years is no guarantee that numbers won't still look good. What you do is just as important than what you eat. Probably more so.

Again...going back to public health statistics. If one is overweight one's chances of developing health problems increase over time. If one is a healthy weight, those chances are lower. It's a game of risk. There are no guarantees in any scenario.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Again...going back to public health statistics. If one is overweight one's chances of developing health problems increase over time. If one is a healthy weight, those chances are lower. It's a game of risk. There are no guarantees in any scenario.

Agreed. Being overweight adds one risk factor.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think it's great that you are working toward a healthier lifestyle!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I think that if 55 lbs is what you and your doctor set as the important milestone for reducing your likelihood of obesity related conditions then this is a good goal. Once you get there you and your doctor can access your health and decide if further action is warranted. Obviously exercise and better nutrition are great for everyone...

I agree with this. I'm not sure why people are worried about the final goal now, or would not see improvement as worthwhile even if they believe not being overweight is essential for health. Although I'm one for setting a final goal for motivation, you'll see advice that even focuses on just reducing weight by 10% as an achievable first step that will improve health or reduce risk/obesity-related issues.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    wow... what's with all this "do it 100% or don't do it at all" stuff? Not everything in life has to be 100%... do you really do everything in your life 100%? What if 50% is also great? Do you save 100% of the money you could save? Do you keep up with friends 100% as well as you should? Do you give your work 100%, 100% of the time? Do you donate 100% of the money you could donate? 50% of something good is still good!

I hope MFP doesn't turn us into the weight equivalent of those ex-smokers that will run and gag if they see someone light up a cigarette 50 yards away... :-) it's all good!

Super Agree. If her GOAL is to lose 55 lb and she does, then she has reached 100% of her goal. I might as well say, if you're not going for a PhD, don't even bother with kindergarten. Same thing! I mean, why would anyone want only 68% of an education?

:s <- is that smiley pooping?

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with people's difficulty in quoting other posts. :|
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think that if 55 lbs is what you and your doctor set as the important milestone for reducing your likelihood of obesity related conditions then this is a good goal. Once you get there you and your doctor can access your health and decide if further action is warranted. Obviously exercise and better nutrition are great for everyone...
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I agree with this. I'm not sure why people are worried about the final goal now, or would not see improvement as worthwhile even if they believe not being overweight is essential for health. Although I'm one for setting a final goal for motivation, you'll see advice that even focuses on just reducing weight by 10% as an achievable first step that will improve health or reduce risk/obesity-related issues.

I'm more concerned with people's difficulty in quoting other posts. :|

In what way?

ETA Grr that should've been funny but my boss came over while I was trying to make epic quote fail happen. Sigh.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Just for the record, what exactly are you intimating by your suggestion that any of us are Meghan Trainor fans? I don't take your meaning.

He means, "I'm a troll and everyone should really be ignoring me".
    Not at all. I thought that people would be able to identify with her song and feel uplifted at the message. You don't have to be a stick figure barbie to be happy.

If that's what you're into, then go ahead and move along...

(...from this thread.)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    i've being here using MFP for while now, and never ever i have felt more ashamed to be part of this community , i've read some of your opinions and all i can said it's thank god many of you are not my "friends", calling this person lazy, telling her that she might well stay the way she is now, judging her with such cruelty in her FIRST WEEK!? :( , you may not agree with OP but saying the things that many of you have said to her oh god no

if you are associating 100% the being thin or perfect weight to being healthy, you are so wrongggg -___-, and 6 years of med school and years of experience working with patients show me that

ps. TEA honey congrats on your first week, you are awesome
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Is there an official definition of plus sized? Most US size 10 clothing would be too big for me, and I am overweight by 20 lbs.

Nope. "PLUS SIZED" IS SUBJECTIVE. Yes, "plus size" clothing lines often start at a size 14. "Plus size" models often start at a size 10. But the term "plus size" is defined by whoever is using it. I am a size 24 and consider myself plus sized, as most would. I also consider myself plus sized at a size 10.

[/quote]

Well if you are 20 lbs over weight, what measure are you using? BMI because that's not the most fantastic thing to measure by.

Either way, I highly doubt the OP is looking at a size 10 thinking she will still be plus sized. Maybe, but I'm not thinking so.

I look at a size 10 and I want to be able to fit into it. I won't be the thinnest I could be, but I want to fit into it and see how I feel from there. Maybe it will be great, maybe it won't be. For the majority of women, in my experience, size 10 is perhaps a bit chunky but not plus sized. I'm also pretty tall at 5'9/10 so for me, that weight/size ratio could be different than yours
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Why are people concern trolling? An adult can make up her own mind about her own body, whether others approve, or understand, or not. This really burns my biscuits.