GET OVER IT!

Options

Replies

• Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest, I am frustrated. I realize that everyones journey is their own....totally get it. But I am sick of seeing people whine and complain.....sick of seeing them sabotage themselves and blame circumstances, holidays and failed relationships. Someone needs to say "GET OVER IT!" Seriously, I had to tell it to myself and I still to this day say it to myself. You cannot wallow in self pity. You cannot blame gorging yourself with food that is killing you on anyone else but yourself. I did it for years. I played the victim. I blamed being busy, other people, my kids and the fact that I simply liked food "too much" to give it up. I wish someone would have kicked me in the *kitten* long ago. If this is you....GET OVER IT! Step up to the plate and choose life. There is nothing or no one that can get in your way....except you! I love you so much. You can do it!

If you are sick of seeing people sabotage themselves and blame circumstances..... dont look.... you dont have to read posts. You choose to read posts, and if you are not choosing to read posts, your statment is totally based on the little headlines on the homepage. A headline does not tell the whole story, it just allows you to jump to an opinion.

BTW I am really glad you got over it and stepped up to the plate and have choosen life.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i hate to be the negative nelly but did you "get over it" by getting gastric surgery? hence the phrase "gastric to fantastic" in your profile?

What if I told you that many on this site, myself included, feel that gastric surgery is an extreme way to lose weight, and even more so, a form of cheating to lose weight.

Now think of how you feel when I said that last statement. When you tell people to "get over it" that is how they feel, defensive.

I love this ^^^^^
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Silentfool wrote: »
    i hate to be the negative nelly but did you "get over it" by getting gastric surgery? hence the phrase "gastric to fantastic" in your profile?

What if I told you that many on this site, myself included, feel that gastric surgery is an extreme way to lose weight, and even more so, a form of cheating to lose weight.

Now think of how you feel when I said that last statement. When you tell people to "get over it" that is how they feel, defensive.

I love this ^^^^^

Ditto
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I gotta be honest, I am frustrated. I realize that everyones journey is their own....totally get it. But I am sick of seeing people whine and complain.....sick of seeing them sabotage themselves and blame circumstances, holidays and failed relationships. Someone needs to say "GET OVER IT!" Seriously, I had to tell it to myself and I still to this day say it to myself. You cannot wallow in self pity. You cannot blame gorging yourself with food that is killing you on anyone else but yourself. I did it for years. I played the victim. I blamed being busy, other people, my kids and the fact that I simply liked food "too much" to give it up. I wish someone would have kicked me in the *kitten* long ago. If this is you....GET OVER IT! Step up to the plate and choose life. There is nothing or no one that can get in your way....except you! I love you so much. You can do it!

or in the OP's case just have gastric bypass surgery ....wamp wamp waaaaaaaa

So, in other words he took action to improve his situation rather than just sitting around complaining about it.

Sounds sensible to me.

sounds to me like he is being slightly hypocritical when he says "...the fact that I simply liked food too much to give it up..."

instead of giving it up it sounds like he just went the surgical route which forced him to give it up ..as opposed to taking the hard route and actually trying the hard route...

of course OP has not come back in to clarify anything so I am just assuming based on his one paragraph complaint.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my weight loss for a decade. Let me give you some advice, you will be far more successful in your own endeavors if you don't focus on the shortcomings of others rather than propelling yourself forward.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm totally addicted to TV shows where people have gastric bypass, so I know it's not easy to go through the whole lifestyle change... but it is physically easier to eat less if your stomach is surgically reduced. So, I don't really know what OP is talking about. I think he's just trying to get people to go to the blog he has linked in his profile.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think it's appropriate now to post a quote from someone that has the right to give tough love.
    Enablers are people that allow you to continue your losing ways. They baby you and bail you out.

Fitness enablers allow you to continue making the same mistakes and never have the guts to tell you where you really stand, never having the balls to let you know that you’re screwing up or that you just might need to sweat if you want to lose a few pounds.

So I agree, get over it. Don't be an enabler, ever. People want that, but it doesn't benefit them.

Put the fork down Percy, and pick up a dumbbell.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

So, you were that person, now you're not, and you are so overwhelmed by your own superiority that instead of having empathy and trying to help, you put up this nasty little attack.

Weak.sauce.

• sofaking6
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    OP is right.

Do it and stop whining, because no one cares. Not really.

It's cool that you don't care so much that you constantly post about it. That is a LOT of not caring.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Woah....wait...what?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    OP is right.

It's cool that you don't care so much that you constantly post about it. That is a LOT of not caring.

I think you missed the "not really" part at the end... me thinks sarcasm detector is busted.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm just in to watch the fire...
    2itzicokw02d.gif

I want to know how he managed to keep that down frown the ENTIRE film.

seriously- that's impressive n shape he holds for almost 2 hours.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    OP is right.

It's cool that you care about me not caring.

I don't care! I might, however, care that I don't care about it so much that I had to post about not caring about it.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why watch television when you can watch the MFP comment section :D
  • sofaking6
    Options
    OP is right.

It's cool that you care about me not caring.

I don't care! I might, however, care that I don't care about it so much that I had to post about not caring about it.

That gave me a headache. I need to lie down now.

Get over it!

:p
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yep...according the OP's blog, it was gastric surgery.

That sure puts a different spin on things...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    To whom is the "I love you so much" directed?
    Me, quit stealing my thunder.

I hope you two have many happy years together. :)

Such an odd post. Typical "I'm so great! Everyone should be more like me!" Typical "Stop making excuses! You suck!" Then, the love. Not just love, but SO MUCH love. Then nothing. Such a letdown.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mqu8ssjlgM1qcu3vno1_500.gif

Complaining about people complaining.... awesome.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sometimes people are battling an eating disorder, and the tough love "get over it" attitude is only going to make things worse. Like sheepotato said, there are more constructive responses which will help much more than just "get over it".
    If you have never experienced ED, or been close to someone who has, then it might be difficult to understand.
    But speaking form personal experience, I've told myself "get over it" and had several people bluntly tell it to me, and worse, and it has only backtracked my progress.

If the person doesn't have ED, then the situation may be different, and the tough love approach may be reacted to differently. But on boards like this, it's hard to know what a person is battling with, and what will set them back, so being productive is much more valuable than just "get over it".

"Get over it" isn't advice, it's just a rude statement. Advice is making a suggestion to help a person move forward, or at the very least stop moving back - something "Get over it" just doesn't accomplish.

^Agreed. You have no idea what psychological cluster someone has to deal with to get to 'that place' where they can simply 'get over' whatever barrier(s) they encounter.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    To whom is the "I love you so much" directed?
    Me, quit stealing my thunder.

I hope you two have many happy years together. :)

Such an odd post. Typical "I'm so great! Everyone should be more like me!" Then, the love. Not just love, but SO MUCH love. Then nothing. Such a letdown.

It's because it was a direct copy/paste from a post he made on his news feed. I imagine he just forgot to delete that part.