Greek yogurt or protein powder?

Options
13»

Replies

• Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

And if you're trying to gain- I don't know why you wouldn't juts pile on the peanut butter. or regular butter- or pumpkin butter- or almond butter- or apple butter.

mmmmmmmmmm, butter <3<3<3

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    My solution to the problem would be getting a less expensive protein powder (whey protein, since you are already having lots of dairy) and adding it to a full-fat Greek yogurt.

Whey is dairy.

I'm still waiting to find out what the protein goal is. Might not need any supps.

Yes, that's what I meant-- I didn't see why OP was using *vegan* protein powder with so much yogurt and cream-- they might as well use whey protein powder if they are eating all that yogurt and heavy cream.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My solution to the problem would be getting a less expensive protein powder (whey protein, since you are already having lots of dairy) and adding it to a full-fat Greek yogurt.

Whey is dairy.

I'm still waiting to find out what the protein goal is. Might not need any supps.

Yes, that's what I meant-- I didn't see why OP was using *vegan* protein powder with so much yogurt and cream-- they might as well use whey protein powder if they are eating all that yogurt and heavy cream.

Ahhh, gotcha!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    I did a little research into the ingredients of the different powders, and it seemed like most of them contained sugars (corn) or fake sugars that my gut will not handle. I went with the vegan because it was the safest for my problematic gut without me spending months looking for another, cheaper alternative, as I wanted to jump start into being very serious and dedicated to packing on the pounds.

Yes, for right now I am kinda going an expensive route, and working towards a more sustainable and budget-friendly menu plan. I have a LOT of restrictions I have to work around.

Just so you know, you can buy unflavoured protein powders, which shouldn't have the problematic sugars you mention.. I've bought unflavoured whey before, and have a massive sack of milk protein concentrate on the way currently. You can even flavour them yourselves if you want (I found cocoa powder and a little sugar makes a nice chocolate flavour) :smile:

I've never bought flavoured protein powders - I have cheap whey isolate from myprotien (which doesn't have sweeteners etc) and put it in stuff with flavour - I like a scoop in milk with a bit of vanilla extract and sugar - basically tastes like melted ice-cream or I flavour it with cocoa and sugar or hot chocolate powder...
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    shartran wrote: »
    For 24 servings of 'Dry curd cottage cheese' (22 g protein, 110 calories, low sodium too) for 125g serving) you would need 6 tubs @ $5.00 each. $30.00
    It's another option for you.

I love cottage cheese. I just wish it weren't so high in sodium. I save my sodium for hard cheeses and eat yogurt instead.

There is only 20mg of sodium per 1/2 cup! Also, my tub yields 750 g for $5.00, so you would only need 5 tubs at $25.00.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've never bought flavoured protein powders - I have cheap whey isolate from myprotien (which doesn't have sweeteners etc) and put it in stuff with flavour - I like a scoop in milk with a bit of vanilla extract and sugar - basically tastes like melted ice-cream or I flavour it with cocoa and sugar or hot chocolate powder...

Must try your vanilla & sugar/ sweetener combo.. :smile:
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal that you're having a hard time reaching?

Goals are: 2070 cal; 259 carbs; 69 fat; 104 protein

This was for gaining while still doing some cardio and weights.

I primarily aim for meeting my calories and protein; currently not sweating the small stuff (fat, sodium, etc.).

Hmmm...I was wondering if your protein goal was too high and that was the issue, but doesn't appear to be. I know you have issues with different foods, but I aim for 130g and have no issues hitting it eating chicken breast, tuna pouches, cottage cheese, etc.

I'd say review your nonprotein choices and see if you can add something there as well...like swap quinoa in for rice or peanuts in for almonds. Foods like these have slightly higher protein counts and may help you reach your goals more easily.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Myprotein non-flavoured protein powder is high in protein level for the expense.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating different things in different days so you're not going overbudget. Milk, protein powder and yogurt. On the days I don't get much animal protein I have all three, on days I have a big steak I go with the no fat milk.... change it up.