Coffee - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lose weight and drink about 4 coffees a day. I just add a splash of milk...I like to taste the coffee! I do like a skinny cappuccino as a treat.
  • erinhood35
    erinhood35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Black coffee does not cause weight loss, it's an aid to weight loss. For me, it's an appetite suppressant in the morning when I need an energy boost but not necessarily hungry. Again, after a big dinner, when I'm tempted to go for seconds and instead brew a cup of coffee or espresso (black). So, it helps me with portion control at times.

However, here's my tip for daily coffee consumption: every time you pour yourself a cup, have a corresponding glass of water. Every Time. Coffee is extremely dehydrating if you aren't careful, especially if you're exercising frequently. Either sip on the glass of water while taking your coffee, or gulp it down in one swig before or after taking the coffee. Sparkling water works too. I love an espresso and lemon La Croix :D
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Not something that I'm willing to give up. I've cut back to one (large) cup a day, gave up all sweeteners and add some whole milk.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    erinhood35 wrote: »
    Black coffee does not cause weight loss, it's an aid to weight loss. For me, it's an appetite suppressant in the morning when I need an energy boost but not necessarily hungry. Again, after a big dinner, when I'm tempted to go for seconds and instead brew a cup of coffee or espresso (black). So, it helps me with portion control at times.

However, here's my tip for daily coffee consumption: every time you pour yourself a cup, have a corresponding glass of water. Every Time. Coffee is extremely dehydrating if you aren't careful, especially if you're exercising frequently. Either sip on the glass of water while taking your coffee, or gulp it down in one swig before or after taking the coffee. Sparkling water works too. I love an espresso and lemon La Croix :D

I usually drink some water while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good. Coffee with half and half is very good. Too much coffee is not good, and what constitutes too much coffee depend on the person. I drink 2 cups in the morning but can't have caffeine later than mid afternoon because it causes sleep problems.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    Not something that I'm willing to give up. I've cut back to one (large) cup a day, gave up all sweeteners and add some whole milk.

I have with milk and a bit of maple syrup can't take it black, isn't it funny coffee is one of those things that people love it or hate it. Obviously more love here. As for weight loss, I agree having a half cup before I go to the gym gets me going, as for weight loss not sure it helps, if you are like me and add extras...
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Coffee is like bacon - always necessary.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

As was already mentioned in this thread, coffee is not dehydrating. It's 99% water. The water hydrates you. Unless you're just sucking down the coffee grounds dry, it would be pretty much impossible to get dehydrated drinking coffee...
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Coffee is amazing.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have two things I say about coffee:

"A day without coffee is like sleep."
    "No coffee, no workee!"
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have to have my coffee so I consider it good.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to mix espresso powder in my pre-workout shake. Then I discovered caffeine pills, which are WAY cheaper. ($2.99 for 200). I have no idea if caffeine/coffee helps with fat loss, but it certainly helps clear out your innards which makes the scale go down. :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Not just a little or moderately but EXTREMELY!!!!!!

I always drink water when I have coffee. I just pour it over the coffee grounds first and heat it up.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options

I always drink water when I have coffee. I just poor it over the coffee grounds first and heat it up.
    Don't be silly, the water doesn't count if you pour it over beans, everyone knows that.

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I always drink water when I have coffee. I just poor it over the coffee grounds first and heat it up.
    Don't be silly, the water doesn't count if you pour it over beans, everyone knows that.

Dang it. You quoted me before I fixed the word poor to pour. I suck at life.
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    absolutely delicious, doesn't hinder progress unless you're drowning it in cream/sugar
    stevia + almond milk and I'm all set ;)
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Coffee... good, oh so good! It hasn't caused me any issues in my weight loss. However, if you're drinking full flavored Starbucks twice a day without monitoring your consumption, it may become an issue.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8wmtj5uqw1qzqwamo1_500.gif
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    gshifrin wrote: »
    Coffee good.
    Cream, sugar bad.
    Simple.

Why are cream and sugar bad, exactly?

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Sugar-Busters-Trim/dp/0345469585
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Coffee is good. Very good. In the spirit of moderation, I limit myself to one cup a day:

flont136e90f.jpg