All macros are special

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That Gale guy reminds me of a friendly conversation I had with a fellow patron at the local townie bar last summer. This guy informed me that he wouldn't get cancer because he was drinking Hydrogen Peroxide, the industrial stuff with a higher percentage of peroxide. Apparently, he believed the claim that drinking hydrogen peroxide raises your blood's PH balance which somehow is suppose to make it difficult for cancers to develop, and that "western" medicine was all about toxic chemicals.

My brain reeled at that. First of all, cancers are a spectrum disorder. There is no one magic cure-all. Second, it is damn near impossible to raise your blood PH. Third, he hates "toxic" western medicine yet drinks industrial strength hydro peroxide? Irony meter broke at that.

Lastly, the overall claim that raising your blood's PH defeats cancer? Where in the heck does that come from? Why should anyone believe that?

Just supports getting health info at the bar is about the same getting it off the web. :)
    True.

Is the internet where you get your health advice, or are you like a Mike Adams disciple or something? Curious, because you were asked about some science supporting your claims.

Be interesting to read where you get your information.
    I'm betting "drinkcoconutoil.com."
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    That Gale guy reminds me of a friendly conversation I had with a fellow patron at the local townie bar last summer. This guy informed me that he wouldn't get cancer because he was drinking Hydrogen Peroxide, the industrial stuff with a higher percentage of peroxide. Apparently, he believed the claim that drinking hydrogen peroxide raises your blood's PH balance which somehow is suppose to make it difficult for cancers to develop, and that "western" medicine was all about toxic chemicals.

My brain reeled at that. First of all, cancers are a spectrum disorder. There is no one magic cure-all. Second, it is damn near impossible to raise your blood PH. Third, he hates "toxic" western medicine yet drinks industrial strength hydro peroxide? Irony meter broke at that.

Lastly, the overall claim that raising your blood's PH defeats cancer? Where in the heck does that come from? Why should anyone believe that?

There's a trend in the bodybuilding industry of drinking alkaline water (water with baking soda) to detox and fix our blood's pH. I don't get it. Do these people simply not understand that our bodies fight to keep our pH at a very specific number (7.35 - 7.45)? The reason the pH of our urine changes when you eat an acidic or basic diet is because your body is trying to keep a balance.
    Well that's one dumb trend to avoid. I like my fridge smelling nice anyway.

Homeostasis anyone?
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Just supports getting health info at the bar is about the same getting it off the web. :)
    True.

Is the internet where you get your health advice, or are you like a Mike Adams disciple or something? Curious, because you were asked about some science supporting your claims.

Jonathan Bailor
    Never heard of him and Orac has nothing on him.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

True.

Jonathan Bailor

Just google him. Tons of "Good Information" IYKWIM.
  • civilizedworm
    edited December 2014
    Options

True.

Jonathan Bailor

Found his website - I think. He's got the standard quack miranda.

Wait. SANE guy?
  • LolBroScience
    Options

True.

Jonathan Bailor

Wait. SANE guy?

Bingo
  • civilizedworm
    Options

True.

Jonathan Bailor

Wait. SANE guy?

Bingo
    Hate to admit this but I also had to google "IYKWIM."

You kids with your trains and indoor plumbing.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Awww. Waaaaaa. Gale has now begun reporting people instead of actually answering questions when he's asked them. Pick up another warning just now, this one courtesy of Gale. I just wish the warning were actually sent from a Mod instead of a little brown triangle that looks like a piece of poop. Now there is no way to respond to warnings. Well played MFP, well played indeed. Then when you ask the mods who sent the warning, no one know. Lol.

That's quite fitting, considering who reported you. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My butternut squash didn't stand a chance. Sucka!

Seriously, have you tried going zero carb? Long term?

I do not think one can go zero carb and live. All the protein I know about will drag some carbs along with it. Almonds have carbs as to about every thing.

Alatarie175 why to you think it is carbs that make you poop? Coconut oil makes up about 1200 of my daily calories as my good Fat source.

reddit.com/r/keto/comments/192urc/no_carbs_no_poop/

What a waste of 1200 calories. Eat a steak or something.

That's a lot of empty calories...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

There's a trend in the bodybuilding industry of drinking alkaline water (water with baking soda) to detox and fix our blood's pH. I don't get it. Do these people simply not understand that our bodies fight to keep our pH at a very specific number (7.35 - 7.45)? The reason the pH of our urine changes when you eat an acidic or basic diet is because your body is trying to keep a balance.

fitnesswater.co.uk/Sport-And-Fitness.html

Sounds like some of them are listening to other promo bodybuilders. Science is not the issue when you just want to look like the Salesman perhaps?

• LolBroScience
    Options

Sounds like some of them are listening to other promo bodybuilders. Science is not the issue when you just want to look like the Salesman perhaps?

What does a salesman look like?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Not sure how to word it but you can see his selling video linked.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Just like Jonathan Bailor? He's a salesman, it's not science.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Just like Jonathan Bailor? He's a salesman, it's not science.

Dammit, you made me Google him. I'm now less educated. I will admit though, I found it absolutely hilarious that his "Medical reviews" link linked to a bunch of testimonial quotes and not, you know, actual scientific reviews. That pretty much says all you need to know about the entire concept, and it's literally the only part of his site I read.