Why doesn't my chicken taste as good as restaurant chicken?

Options
124»

Replies

• wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I made this recipe tonight and it was STELLAR. Putting this in my back pocket to make often. Thank you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    NRSPAM wrote: »
    What am I doing wrong? My chicken never tastes as good as any restaurant I've been to. Any suggestions? I've tried grilled, baked, BBQ'd, boiled, and it just never comes out all that great. I've cooked it with oil, seasonings like paprika, salt, pepper...just about anything I can think of. I've even marinated it. It just tastes different.

As a former chef, I can tell you...

it depends. They also get higher grade items than you can, and for considerably less than you pay.

ETA - i'm sure everyone in the thread already knows this but... use a thermometer for all meats, until you can accurately cook by feel.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You're overcooking it. Try leaving the skin and bones on it and use your grill or get a rotisserie spit. I grill outside for almost all meats, and I use the spit at least once a week. Even the frozen chicken put straight on the grill can taste good if you figure out internal temp.

If all else fails, nuke some butter and salt and rosemary together and baste the chicken when you're done.

Oh, and LET THE MEAT REST AFTER YOU COOK IT!!! You're probably not doing that. If you cut it open too soon, it's going to get dry.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I find most affordable chicken watery, sort of odd-textured and flavourless, and it usually leaves me with a sick feeling not long after eating it, whether I cook it or someone else does. Might be a trick of memory, but I'm pretty sure the chickens of my youth tasted better. I still eat it now and then - I typically roast it whole when I do, the way people have described - seared first (with skin and bones still attached) - but I'd usually rather have other things.

It's better when concealed with heavy flavour (like it is in moroccan chicken tagine or saucy jerk chicken), but more often than not that means hundreds of extra calories.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dbmata
    Options
    You're overcooking it. Try leaving the skin and bones on it and use your grill or get a rotisserie spit. I grill outside for almost all meats, and I use the spit at least once a week. Even the frozen chicken put straight on the grill can taste good if you figure out internal temp.

If all else fails, nuke some butter and salt and rosemary together and baste the chicken when you're done.

Oh, and LET THE MEAT REST AFTER YOU COOK IT!!! You're probably not doing that. If you cut it open too soon, it's going to get dry.
    ^ You're on track! Well done.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You've clearly received a lot of tips... Personally, the only way I actually like my own home cooked chicken is if it's grilled or bbq'd. I always used to bbq it, but now I live in an apartment where we're not allowed bbq's on our balconies, so I use an indoor grill pan. A friend of mine swears by marinades, but it's never been as yummy when I've cooked it. I usually season my chicken (with various spices depending on my mood) and then slap it on a grill pan. I know bone in and skin on also allegedly makes it taste better (keeps the juices in, I think?), but when I cook it myself I always use boneless skinless. Just a matter of preference though.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're probably overcooking it. I got an electric grill that cooks my chicken in about 10 minutes max and it's usually juicy and tender.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Trying doing it under a brick, or wrapped in a strong dough.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Trying doing it under a brick, or wrapped in a strong dough.

Like this?

pillsbury-dough-boy.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    Exactly.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I didn't think there would be this many responses, so I haven't bothered to check this thread in a while. I will try all of these until I get it the way I like it. As far as which restaurants I'm talking about, there is a grill by my house that makes the best chicken. I'm pretty sure they use hickory wood to smoke or grill the chicken. They're not the only place I was referring to, though. Pretty much anywhere I go makes chicken taste better than mine, even fast food. Lol. I bought the ingredients for the mediterranean chicken recipe, and I'll be making it soon. I may try to use bone in chicken with skin. That may make a difference. Thanks again!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Brine the chicken for a few hours will help too. Throw on the bbq with a smoke tube full of chips and you're golden....
  • Ruedora
    Ruedora Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lots of restaurants use a char broiler that runs on natural gas rather than the bbq most of us use at home (propane). It makes a big difference in flavor. Also, if you are cooking your chicken to 165 and its still dry. Let it rest for 10 mins or so before you cut into it. It allows the chicken to hold on to all of the juices and flavor. If you cut it up right off the grill then all the deliciousness just runs out :smile:
    That being said, one of my favorite ways to make chicken at home is on the bbq. I mix together some olive oil, juice of a lemon, fresh garlic and parsley and sprinkle in some dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Let the chicken marinate in there for 15 minutes - overnight. It is sooo good. Totally like restaurant chicken :smiley:
    Happy cooking!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I want my chicken to taste like Chipotle chicken. OR Chick-fil-a grilled nuggets.