REBOOT Fat sick and nearly dead

Options

Replies

• harmoniaxx
    Options
    harmoniaxx wrote: »
    lol.... I bet you take Hydroxy-cut too, huh?

That is REALLY rude. You may not agree with someones choice of weight loss, but to mock and be rude to someone because you disagree? Ever heard of constructive criticism?

You must be new here...

Welcome to the internet :wink:

Oh believe me, I know. I just tend to try and choose forums that are a little less on the negative side in the community. I assumed that this one was one of them. I guess I assumed wrong.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Blending is definitely the way to go. Last night I used my Nutribullet to blend my Big Mac, Fries, and Chocolate shake. I tossed in a couple blueberries for antioxidants and resveratrol. Boom. Health.

I lol'd

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was 100 lbs overweight, too, and I ate at a deficit and got off my butt in order to lose it. (I didn't even cut out chocolate or wine.) This Joe guy's movie is an infomercial, not a documentary, like another poster said. You're eating around 1200 cals a day and this is the reason for your weight loss.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Lunchtime. Somebody hand me a cheeseburger...nom sayin'
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the key, not the Juicing.

It's great that you've found something that works - I know that feeling! - but what the person above said is absolutely correct. If you logged normal meals on MFP and stayed at the 1200 cal mark you would still lose - and the benefit of doing it the MFP way is that you'd learn about portion sizes and how to lose weight with a balanced diet (e.g. fat, protein and carbs etc).

And when it comes to weight loss you don't want to lose more than 2lb per week anyway or you risk losing muscle mass (and the more muscle you have the better your metabolism!).

RE 1200 cals - give MFP your height, weight etc and see what it recommends. You want to lose weight, but you want to do it the healthiest, most sustainable way possible!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, so no fiber? Boo.

Last I checked fruits and veggies contain fiber.

Yep, and most of it is in the pulp that the OP is straining out (and that juicers strain out).

OP isn't using a juicer, she is using a blender. Also she never said she was straining it. That was someone else.

The movie that is the topic of this thread is about juicing. Thus, I think comments on juicing are fair game. Do you not?

Also, my question about why not just eat fruits and veggies stands. The premise behind juicing--what is promoted in the movie--seems to be that you get far more micronutrients since without the fiber you can eat a lot more fruits and veggies than you otherwise would. I don't agree with this approach, but at least it provides an answer to the "why drink them instead of eating them" question.

I personally think smoothies are much better than juicing, but that's not what the movie is about, and there continues to be no reason to blend fruits and veggies and eat only them vs. eating a balanced diet that contains fruits and veggies.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP once you go back to eating normal the weight comes back on.

Why do people make weight loss so complicated, just eat at a reasonable deficit (and not 1200 calories!!!) and exercise.

I did and lost 121 pounds, now been maintaining for a few months now.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP once you go back to eating normal the weight comes back on.

Why do people make weight loss so complicated, just eat at a reasonable deficit (and not 1200 calories!!!) and exercise.

I did and lost 121 pounds, now been maintaining for a few months now.

Grats on your weightloss.
    People make weightloss complicated becasue were often told by the media it is.
    In saying that there is nothing wrong with everyone trying different ways to reach the same goal, goodness knows Ive tried many different approaches on my journey all which lend to my overall experience. I believe thats in some ways the best part, trying different ways to achieve a deficit and seeing how the body responds, depending on what is currently being eaten.

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    love that movie. love juicing. taking it all with a HUGE grain of salt though. juicing has its place for some people. blending has its place for many people. as long as you're consuming vegetables i don't see much harm in it.
  • aliciadenise1218
    aliciadenise1218 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Joe did it for 60 days, not 10...he did it because of his autoimmune disease and obesity. It worked for him...he changed his lifestyle. It had helped many other people change their lifestyle too. It reboots the taste buds. Old addictions that you don't even realize you had go away...IF you stick with it.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That movie was OK until he claimed the answer to all our problems was juicing. I realised at that point he was just trying to sell us something.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I thought the movie was awesome. The movie fired me up. I am on day 4 (of 15), I have lost 9 pounds and feel great. Please look on my diary, and look at my loss (I think you can see it). I feel great on day four day 2 was my hardest. Once you have experienced a "Cleanse", you will believe in the Cleanse". Now look at the weight loss of some of the biggest critics here. I am just saying that those with the biggest "complaints" about this program don't have answers either. This takes willpower, and I am going to finish it. I am not new here, have tried many methods, FOR ME, IN MY OPINION this is working for me. Am I going to stay Vegan forever, NO. I love food!!! but could juicing supplement my day, definetely, YES. And yes I have a juicer, and yes I have a Vitamix (I like both) and am using both of them. One thing I am going to stick with afterwards, that I have greatly cut down already is processed foods. Including any kind of diet, low-fat, non-fat processed food. As far as an infomercial, yes it sold a $9 amazon Kindle book and the fresh fruits and veggies. Thats all I have invested and it is Much cheaper than WW or any processed food style Jenny Craig... Diet. I feel great!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per day? What you're losing isn't fat if you're losing at that rate (unless you're somehow at a 7000 calorie per day deficit and miraculously maintaining lean mass at the same time. If you are, call Ripley).
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have much confidence when people sing the praises about something they have done for 4 days to a week. Come back in a few months and tell us the results.

You didn't gain the weight in a week and you can't take it off in a week. The MFP program works, slow and steady.
  • CJDaniel7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree, I have the same axiom, I don't listen to people who have piles of posts (and opinions), MFP is filled with them, and very little weight loss. I never said MFP never worked, I think this is not all about weight loss. I use MFP, it is wonderful website. Hey better yet, friend me. Lets make it a healthy competition???? You about the same age, have about the same weight loss. Lets check in once in a while and in four months we see for ourselves. Deal?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    I agree, I have the same axiom, I don't listen to people who have piles of posts (and opinions), MFP is filled with them, and very little weight loss. I never said MFP never worked, I think this is not all about weight loss. I use MFP, it is wonderful website. Hey better yet, friend me. Lets make it a healthy competition???? You about the same age, have about the same weight loss. Lets check in once in a while and in four months we see for ourselves. Deal?
    You've lost 9 pounds of water and food weight in 4 days. Congrats? Who are these people with piles of posts and no success? Generally the people with high post counts are the most successful people on this site, and use that success to guide others. What makes you think they are unsuccessful? Their ticker? You know people change those as their goals change, right? People lose weight, then bulk to put on pounds, then lose a few more, and adjust tickers to match, so they can track their progress.

Seriously, juicing isn't an answer. It's a disguise. You're only drinking juice, that means your bowels are emptied. So the several pounds of solid food in your gut is now gone (takes about 3 days to pass through.) That's it. A calorie deficit will determine whether you lose fat or not over time. As of now, it's way too early to even think you've lost any fat at all.

Come back in a month or two, once you're back to eating real food again (you've already stated you aren't keeping this diet up, any change in the foods you eat will lead to shifts in weight, up and down,) then let us know how successful you are.
  • CJDaniel7
    Options
    I think thats fair. Fine, but I think the rub is the number of critics with high post counts that high and weight loss is zilch. No, the aren't resetting their tickers. I was just providing support for the initail poster who was getting every Dr. FA's opinion on what works and what doesn't. Different things work for different people. I will tell you regardless of weight loss, it has brought my blook glucose levels and my blood pressure is falling in line, for whatever reason.
  • CJDaniel7
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »

Did you read the article? I am sure on any regimen the same thing would have happen.