Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have to confess - I'm impressed, Deirdre. It started off quite badly with that non-moderation menu, but you've since presented yourself quite well and (in a lovely twist of irony) have shown that a few folks here don't have enough willpower to resist acting like ***holes.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    miketoryan wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, ndj, you might possibly be a special snowflake. The idea of limited willpower that depletes self control across the spectrum I learned from that study I cited.

lol I am a special snowflake because I do not turn into a b*itch when I "use" willpower, really? okie dokie…

where is this study you referenced?

she linked it at the bottom of the radish and chocolate post

I found it…

so people who were showed chocolate chip cookies and then forced to eat radishes were pissed off? this is somehow ground breaking..?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    You do realize as I and Tigers pointed out sucrose is found in fruits? There is no excessive fixation on fructose. I do agree the issue is hyperpalatable foods, but as you already saw from one astute poster they laid blame totally on added sugars as what caused their binges

The OP has no point, as sugar has many uses then just a "quick energy fix", and many "sugar" laden foods are highly nutritious and packed with micros.

Yes, I do realize that you and Tigers have pointed out that sucrose is found in fruit.

I have no idea why the two of you are fixated on that point, but clearly you need closure, so here it is -- I saw that you wrote that and I believe you.

You are absolutely right -- many people are blaming added sugars in their food as what causes their binges.

Because in their perception, sugar does cause their binges. They eat a sweet food and before you know it, they are eating the entire house. They don't feel this way about lettuce, so it must be the sugar!

So what does cause their binges? Well who the hell knows -- we never get to the point of discussing that because we get caught up immediately in the fructose loop. heh heh fruit loops I made a joke right there!

The end result is that we get no where. The OP doesn't get help and the issue of binging isn't discussed in any complex or intelligent way.

The next time someone says they are addicted to sugar, just please don't start the tired old fructose subthread.

And don't just blame people for being lazy or weak-willed -- that's simplistic obstructionism. Human beings have a powerful built-in response to food -- it's called instinct! -- and for many people, that response is abnormal and needs some tweeking. For some people, the tweeking is as simple as understanding CICO, and for others, the tweeking needs to be medical intervention.

They may not be lazy or weak willed but certainly you could call them ignorant. If someone says they are addicted to sugar, they should know what sugar actually is, right? Again you're bringing up fructose when that never has anything to do with any of the "sugar addict" threads, why?
    I thought her reference to fructose made perfect sense. It has everything to do with every thread on limiting added sugars.

How? Point to one thread where anyone brought up fructose as a counter to someone claiming sugar addiction. They don't exist.

Every thread on sugar addiction eventually falls back to "if it's sugar, why don't you binge on apples".

And apples contain more sucrose and glucose than fructose, so again, how does that specifically get brought back to fructose?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I have to confess - I'm impressed, Deirdre. It started off quite badly with that non-moderation menu, but you've since presented yourself quite well and (in a lovely twist of irony) have shown that a few folks here don't have enough willpower to resist acting like ***holes.

Exactly what I thought about her posts. I believe I referenced it earlier. She went from quack to victory in my opinion.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, ndj, you might possibly be a special snowflake. The idea of limited willpower that depletes self control across the spectrum I learned from that study I cited.

lol I am a special snowflake because I do not turn into a b*itch when I "use" willpower, really? okie dokie…

where is this study you referenced?

I think the broader point is that willpower is a finite resource, not that everyone is using it up when they walk by a candy jar (most people naturally have strategies so they don't take notice of the candy jar and don't have to rely on willpower to stop eating it, or they just don't care that much about candy).

The problem with making it all about willpower is that it makes it needlessly hard and at some point your willpower will be reduced--like I said upthread, because you had a terrible day or didn't sleep or used it all up on a work project or not killing your teenager.

That's why it makes sense to have strategies if you know something poses temptation. (It might not--ice cream in my freezer doesn't, for me. I like it, but I don't think about it except if I decide a half cup or so fits in my calories.)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really do think the lack of a more specific definition of binging is part of the difficulty here.

Deirdre I think is talking about what I'd call a binge--compulsive eating that might not even be pleasurable while you are doing it.

I agree -- the lack of specific definitions for "moderation," "willpower", and "binge" are causing serious difficulties.

I also think we need definitions of the types of eating:

Anorexics -- chronically underweight food restricters

Binge and Purge -- underweight, normal weight, or overweight people who eat and throw up

Normal -- people who eat normal portions and are in a normal weight range. They got 99 problems but food ain't one of them.

Overeater -- people who go back for seconds or thirds, people who eat until they are stuffed. Maybe normal weight or overweight.

Binger -- people who eat until they are comatose, whose binges have nothing to do with normal hunger, who don't experience a feeling of stuffedness even after eating massive quantities. In these people (and I am one of them), I think something gets shut off in the brain. I HAVE NO SCIENCE TO BACK THAT UP SO DON'T ASK IT'S JUST A GUESS

Feel free to add, edit, or dispute.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I didn't say NO willpower. I said limited. Here's an experiment.

Put a big bowl of your favorite binge snack in a prominent place that you will pass often during the day. Say NO every time you pass. Muscle that willpower! You may be able to successfully pass that bowl every single time, but your willpower will be depleted. You might snap at a co-worker, for instance, in a momentary loss of control.

Now package up that favorite binge snack in individual portions and hide the rest away. This is strategic and requires only a little willpower. You now have self-control in reserve to be nice to your annoying co-worker.

There's good science behind this, too:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/the-chocolate-and-radish-experiment-that-birthed-the-modern-conception-of-willpower/255544/

I keep about four pints of talenti gelato in my freezer and I walk by it every day that I am at home. If I want some, I take it out, have a serving, and put it back. If I do not have any then I do not get "snappy"..

at the office there is a big bowl of candy in the break room that I walk by. If I walk by it five times I do not "deplete" anything, I simply walk by and if i see an employee I ask them how there day is going and do not snap at them…

your idea of willpower is pretty warped…

if I don't have candy I do not turn into an *kitten*...
    I guess some foods are simply harder to resist then others

It's great for you that you are able to walk by the ice cream and have some or not. My kids have ice cream in the freezer right now. I don't eat it. I like ice cream, but I feel like spending my calories on other foods. I'm still losing so I have to keep the deficit. Those little turds have cookies in the cabinet, chips on the counter, and candy in a bag downstairs. I have macros I want to meet, and they aren't singing to me so why bother. But I wasn't always that way. Some foods are harder to resist for some people without eating the whole darn container. It's something they need to work out. I know a lot of people would like to be where you are in the future. But they have things to learn about themselves first. Until they resolve it, they'll be "snappy." I'm only "snappy" now when I'm super hungry and haven't eaten all day long. Some people must take baby-steps.

Ok so those of us that don't are 'special snowflakes"….????

No, they're just different.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

LOL thank you. blush
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Dierdre isn't debating. She's not making an argument. She's not trying to fight.

I think she's trying very hard to get to the bottom of exactly what people are saying.

They make broad statements, which is fine. The "Nothing should be eliminated from the diet" is a broad statement. When these people are asked exactly how that is supposed to work, people assume it's some kind of debate or argument. It's not.

I was recently told that those who seem to be on MFP just to be nasty are really not nasty. They're trying to help when they make what appear to be very rude comments.

So, here they are, being offered the opportunity to help.

People are asking how to do the things they say people should do. If "moderation" doesn't mean "a moderate amount", how much is "moderate"? If things are not to be eliminated, how do we work them all in and still meet calorie goals as well as macros and micros?

It's not a debate or an argument. It's a question. Tell me how.

Explaining CICO totally might help someone who hasn't heard it. But once they've heard it and say, "I understand that. I still binge. How do I stop binging?"...now comes the opportunity to help.

The answer was "Practice it." Practice what? How is it done? Explain how to do it.

If people really are trying to help others when they tell them what to do, then explain to them how they are supposed to do these things. That's what we all need to know. How does it work? How do I do it?

How?
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Willpower is overrated, as it is a limited resource. I pre-package tempting foods to teach myself portion control. I eat slowly and mindfully. Some foods I used to over-eat are stored in the freezer and I defrost one portion at a time.

This can backfire. I have a friend who developed a taste for frozen chocolate almonds.

if you don't have willpower how do you teach yourself portion control? Seems you would need one for the other...

Screw willpower. What people need is to develop grit. Dogged consistent determination. I sound like a traitor in saying this but you DO have to want it bad enough. But that is only half of it. It's the getting to that point that is the problem for some people. They just don't know how to beat the weird game they have going on with themselves. They need to develop strategies. To teach themselves portion control. And how to do that's going to vary depending on their particular issue with food.

Ditto big time...
    You are going to have to make changes and they may be for life, there will be some things you won’t be able to eat and things you will….and yes most of us here can lead by example however… the 1st thing is YOU are responsible for your own weight loss, gain, fitness, dietary changes, life changes, etc. No one else can do this for you… You have to make the full commitment to get yourself healthy, to start down the fitness path, to eat right, push away from the table even though you may be a bit hungry still, give up carbs if you need to, give up the trigger foods like pop or soda, give up those candy bars, moderate your salt intake, drink more water, put down that 3rd burrito, take the stairs instead of the elevator, get yourself to the gym whatever it takes!

There are incredibly helpful knowledgeable people on this site, who can help encourage and motivate you to a certain point but no one can do this for you. You have to SELF-MOTIVATE, look at the ones that have done just that, have taken the advice and used it. See if you can use that advice, decide if it will work for you…LISTEN AND DO THE RESEARCH … but know this. It all comes down to you, and you alone are the only one who can make the changes in and for your own body, your doctor can’t do this for you, your spouse can’t do this for you, your family can’t do this for you, your personal trainer can nag you, but they can’t do this for you. It’s damn hard work to get in shape, look at the rewards though. Think about how much better you will feel about yourself. Your fit friends can encourage you, but they can’t push you to come workout with them, well they can nag pretty good but you have to do it. You have to take your Dr.’s advice and use it, your personal trainers advice, your dietician’s advice, you can take your friends and family’s advice, but if you don’t put it or anything said to you to good use, well then you have no one to blame except yourself. If it doesn’t sound like good sound advice, QUESTION IT...get a second opinion. It’s up to you to turn off the TV, quit smoking, get up from the computer, to watch what you eat, no one else can pull that soda, cookie, cake, chips from your hand before you put it in your mouth.

Go to the doctor if you think you have a medical condition hindering your ability to lose weight or to get in shape, get a checkup and then do what your medical advisor tells you to do to the T. If all is well and you are good to go, GET MOVING! get outside, get fresh air, get a personal trainer if you can, go to the gym, ride your bike to the store, walk to the store, go to the rec. center, buy a stationary bike at a garage sale, then park it in front of the TV if it’s snowing outside and pedal like crazy, go to the Y, join a group of walkers who walk around the mall, take the dog for a walk or borrow a dog to walk, take your kids to the park, grab a friend and toss the Frisbee, go to a yoga class, take a class that expands your mind as well! There are FREE things to do as well, walk around the library, go walk along a lake, take a hike on an open space park, walk along a street sidewalk and window shop, go to a park and just walk the path. On your lunch hour go outside and walk around the block, get up from your desk and go meet your co- workers in the other depts. Get out there and meet people! Humans weren’t meant to be holed up and inactive. Get some human interaction for Gods sake, don’t just rely on social media strangers to give you encouragement or advice. You can do this….but you have to get started and you have to keep at it. Never give up trying to better yourself!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    You do realize as I and Tigers pointed out sucrose is found in fruits? There is no excessive fixation on fructose. I do agree the issue is hyperpalatable foods, but as you already saw from one astute poster they laid blame totally on added sugars as what caused their binges

The OP has no point, as sugar has many uses then just a "quick energy fix", and many "sugar" laden foods are highly nutritious and packed with micros.

Yes, I do realize that you and Tigers have pointed out that sucrose is found in fruit.

I have no idea why the two of you are fixated on that point, but clearly you need closure, so here it is -- I saw that you wrote that and I believe you.

You are absolutely right -- many people are blaming added sugars in their food as what causes their binges.

Because in their perception, sugar does cause their binges. They eat a sweet food and before you know it, they are eating the entire house. They don't feel this way about lettuce, so it must be the sugar!

So what does cause their binges? Well who the hell knows -- we never get to the point of discussing that because we get caught up immediately in the fructose loop. heh heh fruit loops I made a joke right there!

The end result is that we get no where. The OP doesn't get help and the issue of binging isn't discussed in any complex or intelligent way.

The next time someone says they are addicted to sugar, just please don't start the tired old fructose subthread.

And don't just blame people for being lazy or weak-willed -- that's simplistic obstructionism. Human beings have a powerful built-in response to food -- it's called instinct! -- and for many people, that response is abnormal and needs some tweeking. For some people, the tweeking is as simple as understanding CICO, and for others, the tweeking needs to be medical intervention.

They may not be lazy or weak willed but certainly you could call them ignorant. If someone says they are addicted to sugar, they should know what sugar actually is, right? Again you're bringing up fructose when that never has anything to do with any of the "sugar addict" threads, why?
    I thought her reference to fructose made perfect sense. It has everything to do with every thread on limiting added sugars.

How? Point to one thread where anyone brought up fructose as a counter to someone claiming sugar addiction. They don't exist.

Every thread on sugar addiction eventually falls back to "if it's sugar, why don't you binge on apples".

Apples contain fructose, glucose and sucrose. so again that's why her continual mention of fructose is silly

Apples also contain fiber and protein, slowing the glucose spike and making them more satisfying than something that is all sugar, and thus a binge is less likely. The apple is metabolized more slowly than something that has all its calories from sugar (sucrose, HFCS). Apples come naturally portion controlled (unlike a box of cookies), which makes it easier to realize when a serving has been eaten. Also, an apple has less sugar (10 grams only a couple of which are sucrose) than, say, a can of soda (41 grams for 340 ml of Pepsi, pretty much all sucrose), so there is less of a glucose spike and "sugar high". Apples have pectin that appears to help lower LDL cholesterol. Apples have vitamin C and polyphenolic compounts that fight free radicals (protect from cancer), trace minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium, that are good for the body's aches and pains (among other things), and a host of B vitamins, which are neccessary for maintaining red blood cells and the nervous system. Apples are in no way an equivalent match to soda, or most sugary junk food when making a comparison as far as sucrose impact. Apples (and other fruits and vegetables) are a straw-man argument in this debate.
    None of the foods people binge on in this thread (that have been mentioned) get all (or even most) of their calories from sugar. Therefore, your entire premise is a strawman.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I agree -- the lack of specific definitions for "moderation," "willpower", and "binge" are causing serious difficulties.

Excellent!

A couple thoughts/questions:
    Overeater -- people who go back for seconds or thirds, people who eat until they are stuffed. Maybe normal weight or overweight.

Hmm. I think there are lots of reasons people overeat (without binging). One is simply taste--they eat not because of hunger, but because the food is tasty and it's not unpleasant to eat it, even if you aren't actually hungry. Another is a confusion of hunger or wanting to eat for something else--for example, I used to use eating as an excuse to take a break from something I didn't want to do, and in those circumstances there'd be a temptation to extend the eating (so add dessert) and there's also a lingering connection in my mind--if I'm stressed or wanting to procrastinate, I'll start thinking about wanting to eat, but it's not that conscious--I'll think I really want the food unless I force myself to analyze the feeling. Lots of people do bored eating and the like which are similar.
    Binger -- people who eat until they are comatose, whose binges have nothing to do with normal hunger, who don't experience a feeling of stuffedness even after eating massive quantities. In these people (and I am one of them), I think something gets shut off in the brain. I HAVE NO SCIENCE TO BACK THAT UP SO DON'T ASK IT'S JUST A GUESS

I think it's interesting that you mention a lack of stuffedness, because I wouldn't have thought that was part of it (not saying it isn't). I don't think most people rely on feeling stuffed to stop eating; it wouldn't be a particularly effective strategy. I'm wondering now if there could be a confusion of signals of a sort, that you think you need to eat until that feeling, that people get?

What I think of when I think of binging is eating for reasons other than the pleasure of the food, that you aren't even really enjoying it after a while. Is that different than what you are talking about?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    None of the foods people binge on in this thread (that have been mentioned) get all (or even most) of their calories from sugar.

Maybe we missed a few: Custard stuffed eclairs, Peanut M&Ms, blueberry pie with whipped cream, Pizza with pepperoni, sausage, meatballs onions and peppers, linguine with clams, butter toffee with cashews, mint chocolate chip ice cream, Brigham's hot fudge, vanilla layer cake with lemon cream frosting, Godiva, Chinese pork fried rice, buttered toast with cinnamon, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Hohos, Suzy Qs, Duck Rillette on French bread, crème caramel, kielbasa stuffed potato rolls, ravioli, Italian Chicken sandwich from Burger King, crispy onion rings, Gorton's breaded fish sticks, OreIda Crispers, etc.

Okay okay it's not sugar that makes every one of these divine foods worthy of a glutton party. There's plenty 'o wheat flour here. Plenty indeed. But don't they both break down as sugar? I mean, scientifically that is. Sorry, I can't find my peer reviewed citations.

I don't give myself a half a cup of M&Ms and say deal with it Newmeadow. Not interested. If I'm not eating a gallon sized plastic Halloween pumpkin tote full of candy and falling blissfully into a lovely sugar induced euphoric semi comatose state, I DON'T WANT IT.

It's all or NOTHING.

that sounds like a personal issue…

funny you don't get the same high from say fruit, that has as much sugar, if not more, than some of the things listed…

then again, I am not sure if this is even serious…

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    None of the foods people binge on in this thread (that have been mentioned) get all (or even most) of their calories from sugar.

Maybe we missed a few: Custard stuffed eclairs, Peanut M&Ms, blueberry pie with whipped cream, Pizza with pepperoni, sausage, meatballs onions and peppers, linguine with clams, butter toffee with cashews, mint chocolate chip ice cream, Brigham's hot fudge, vanilla layer cake with lemon cream frosting, Godiva, Chinese pork fried rice, buttered toast with cinnamon, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Hohos, Suzy Qs, Duck Rillette on French bread, crème caramel, kielbasa stuffed potato rolls, ravioli, Italian Chicken sandwich from Burger King, crispy onion rings, Gorton's breaded fish sticks, OreIda Crispers, etc.

Okay okay it's not sugar that makes every one of these divine foods worthy of a glutton party. There's plenty 'o wheat flour here. Plenty indeed. But don't they both break down as sugar? I mean, scientifically that is. Sorry, I can't find my peer reviewed citations.

I don't give myself a half a cup of M&Ms and say deal with it Newmeadow. Not interested. If I'm not eating a gallon sized plastic Halloween pumpkin tote full of candy and falling blissfully into a lovely sugar induced euphoric semi comatose state, I DON'T WANT IT.

It's all or NOTHING.

funny you don't get the same high from say fruit, that has as much sugar, if not more, than some of the things listed…

Are you trying to be helpful?

If you're just trying to fight, then okay, you're fighting,

But if you're trying to be helpful, maybe they could use a good explanation of how to cease the binging without eliminating anything. Is it a personal problem? You bet it is!

How is it to be stopped? How does that work?
  • baconslave
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Dierdre isn't debating. She's not making an argument. She's not trying to fight.

I think she's trying very hard to get to the bottom of exactly what people are saying.

They make broad statements, which is fine. The "Nothing should be eliminated from the diet" is a broad statement. When these people are asked exactly how that is supposed to work, people assume it's some kind of debate or argument. It's not.

I was recently told that those who seem to be on MFP just to be nasty are really not nasty. They're trying to help when they make what appear to be very rude comments.

So, here they are, being offered the opportunity to help.

People are asking how to do the things they say people should do. If "moderation" doesn't mean "a moderate amount", how much is "moderate"? If things are not to be eliminated, how do we work them all in and still meet calorie goals as well as macros and micros?

It's not a debate or an argument. It's a question. Tell me how.

Explaining CICO totally might help someone who hasn't heard it. But once they've heard it and say, "I understand that. I still binge. How do I stop binging?"...now comes the opportunity to help.

The answer was "Practice it." Practice what? How is it done? Explain how to do it.

If people really are trying to help others when they tell them what to do, then explain to them how they are supposed to do these things. That's what we all need to know. How does it work? How do I do it?

How?

It varies by person. I overate and binged.

So here's the first step:
    You get an overwhelming urge to eat yourself to death or to get a third helping, try to catch yourself and pause. Ask "why?" Why am I doing this? Am I hungry? If no, what thoughts preceded the urge (or situation or actions)? Are you bored, sad, angry, lonely? Take note of the causes and see if there is any particular food that you go to in these situations. Figure out the why. Figure out the tool you reach for as a response.

Next, figure out the HOW. How am I going to get a grip on this? Changes must be deliberate and consistent. Every time stop yourself. Tell yourself, "I don't need this. I need..." and then figure out coping strategies. Bored? Sad? Mad? Lonely? Go distract, or cut off, that thought with an action you find interesting, absorbing, or fun. Do something productive, workout, text a friend, read, watch a movie. Something that will lift you up and get you out of the kitchen. Over time, you will retrain yourself in how you respond to the stimulus that requires you to reach out for too much. But you must be vigilant and consistent.

Something else that helps people is to not have trigger foods in the house. Others to have them in pre-portioned snack sizes, or even to have "dessert days." There's always trigger foods in my face. Once I divorced myself from the "why," and employed my "how" which was choosing a portion-restricting food plan (keto), which is the dreaded elimination (and I don't even miss it. Pfft. I do what I WANT!), I just looked at the trigger food and said, "I want that. But it doesn't fit my macros. Is it worth it? Nope. Eyes on tha prize" and walked on by. I make cookies and cakes for the kids on their dessert day and made them chocolate chip pancakes this morning. Watched them eating it. I'm not even mad. No longer phases me.

The more you resist, when eating the food is contrary, at that time, to your limits and/or macros/calories, and the more you employ your strategies, the stronger you will become at resisting. You fail and give in? Get right back up? The next meal.

You only really fail if you give up. So don't give up. Couple your discovery of "why" and "how" with your fierce grit. With time, this will get you where you need to be. Is this easy, because reading it may sound simple? For some, no. Now I can say it's super easy. I don't even want that stuff most of the time. That took strategy and determination. That took consistent, deliberate choices. Every meal of every day.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    A better title for this thread would be... "Sugar, one of many things to cut back on for weight loss..."

But this my thread and it's a subjective thread (like all the others out there) and the title reflects my opinion.

• lemurcat12
    Options

Okay okay it's not sugar that makes every one of these divine foods worthy of a glutton party. There's plenty 'o wheat flour here. Plenty indeed. But don't they both break down as sugar. I mean, scientifically that is. Sorry, I can't find my peer reviewed citations.

It's all or NOTHING.

I suspect the point was that there's fat plus sugar or fat plus salt in the usual suspects.

Like I've pointed out, the main source of calories in a typical cookie (at least based on my recipe) is butter. The flour is second, yet people who usually go on about sugar being addictive frequently don't claim to binge on plain bread (although obviously some people do).

Your list tends to me to support this point.

It's often sometimes claimed by low carb advocates that people binge only on carbs, not fat or protein--the argument is made that one won't overeat if one sticks to low carb. I think this might be true for some people and that low carb can be a good strategy. It's absolutely not true for me. I might accidently overeat pasta because I misjudge portion size or get a restaurant meal and think it's super tasty (invariably mostly because of the sauce), but I was kind of surprised when I first heard people say they would "binge on" plain bread or cereal or pasta (I always assumed people overate bread because you get it in situations that make portion control difficult, like when hungry before a meal). On the other hand, I won't eat 'til I'm stuffed on anything really (seems unpleasant), but I can most certainly overconsume calories very easily with meat and I used to do it all the time with cheese.

I find lowering carbs to be a good strategy for me because it makes me more mindful and fits with how I prefer to eat, but not because it prevents overeating. (I think it may do that for some people who overeat due to perceived hunger or cravings.)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    A better title for this thread would be... "Sugar, one of many things to cut back on for weight loss..."

Yep, but then there wouldn't be so many posts.

OP knew what he was doing.

I resent that - I never know what I am doing! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's all or NOTHING.

I wasn't sure if you were serious when you talked about praying on people. Were you?

ummm I think you have me confused with someone else...
  • baconslave
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sigh...
This discussion has been closed.