Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I love how you ask what the problem is and then quality if with that you will not accept lack of will power as an answer..

sorry to break it to you but the answer is that people binge and over eat due to a lack of will power, period.

Alright, screw it. Let's do this.

I binge on sugary foods. How do I get willpower to not binge on them?

will·pow·er[ wíl pòwr ]
    determination and self-discipline: a combination of determination and self-discipline that enables somebody to do something despite the difficulties involved

Hmmm... I guess you just have to practice.

How do I practice determination when I am already determined to not binge but then I do binge? How do I practice self-discipline when I am on my knees crying and telling myself not to eat that cookie as my hand is reaching for it?

A dictionary definition isn't a plan of action. What's the plan of action? Where do I get willpower from?

IMO, it's like any other skill you want to develop. Maybe the missing link is patience...

Well, you must have figured it out, all it takes is willpower! All the obesity researchers who have found over and over that relying on willpower alone simply does not work for most people are just completely clueless. Next time I work with a binge eating client I'll be sure to tell them to just not binge.

Sorry to not contribute wisely to this conversation, but seriously you are wrong on this. Willpower of course plays a role and can be strengthened, but there is so much more to the picture of weight loss and binge eating.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

What other choice do you have?

Eliminate the food altogether. End of binges.

Once I eliminated desserts from my diet, my willpower miraculously recovered from its oddly lopsided weakness.

Hopefully you can keep that up for the rest of your life...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    You do realize as I and Tigers pointed out sucrose is found in fruits? There is no excessive fixation on fructose. I do agree the issue is hyperpalatable foods, but as you already saw from one astute poster they laid blame totally on added sugars as what caused their binges

The OP has no point, as sugar has many uses then just a "quick energy fix", and many "sugar" laden foods are highly nutritious and packed with micros.

Yes, I do realize that you and Tigers have pointed out that sucrose is found in fruit.

I have no idea why the two of you are fixated on that point, but clearly you need closure, so here it is -- I saw that you wrote that and I believe you.

You are absolutely right -- many people are blaming added sugars in their food as what causes their binges.

Because in their perception, sugar does cause their binges. They eat a sweet food and before you know it, they are eating the entire house. They don't feel this way about lettuce, so it must be the sugar!

So what does cause their binges? Well who the hell knows -- we never get to the point of discussing that because we get caught up immediately in the fructose loop. heh heh fruit loops I made a joke right there!

The end result is that we get no where. The OP doesn't get help and the issue of binging isn't discussed in any complex or intelligent way.

The next time someone says they are addicted to sugar, just please don't start the tired old fructose subthread.

And don't just blame people for being lazy or weak-willed -- that's simplistic obstructionism. Human beings have a powerful built-in response to food -- it's called instinct! -- and for many people, that response is abnormal and needs some tweeking. For some people, the tweeking is as simple as understanding CICO, and for others, the tweeking needs to be medical intervention.

They may not be lazy or weak willed but certainly you could call them ignorant. If someone says they are addicted to sugar, they should know what sugar actually is, right? Again you're bringing up fructose when that never has anything to do with any of the "sugar addict" threads, why?
    I thought her reference to fructose made perfect sense. It has everything to do with every thread on limiting added sugars.

How? Point to one thread where anyone brought up fructose as a counter to someone claiming sugar addiction. They don't exist.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Once I eliminated desserts from my diet, my willpower miraculously recovered from its oddly lopsided weakness.

Doesn't work for everyone. Someone in a challenge I've been in has been struggling with binging and was terribly derailed by a part of the challenge that focused on giving up foods. It resulted in her getting back into a restrict and binge cycle.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer to binging, but at heart it seems to be a psychological issue.

I also don't think binging is as common as you seem to assume. Not that it's uncommon, but probably most overweight people didn't get overweight from binging. It's confused, at bit, because people use the term "binge" quite often to refer to mere overeating.

If I have delicious Christmas cookies in my office break room (and in fact I do), and tell myself I can have just one (as I did yesterday) and then decide it was so delicious that I break down and have another, which doesn't fit in my calories, that's not addiction (for the record, I didn't). It's that the cookies taste good.

Similarly, if I'm at work late and pissed about it and walk by the peanut M&Ms and say "to heck with it" and grab a handful (which I used to do all the time, before I started focusing on my weight), and then go back to get more throughout the evening (same), I may have a perception that I can't stop myself, it's an irresistible impulse, but it's not really and, again, nothing remotely like addiction.

These are the kinds of things the word "addiction" is about as often as actual binging, IMO.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Someone says "I'm addicted to sugar" and you immediately jump to fructose and point out how no one has an apple addiction.

That's a ridiculous jump in logic. The much more reasonable jump is that when OP says he or she is addicted to sugar, he or she is strugging with really tasty foods like Oreos or pasta and cream sauce. If the OP's struggle is with sweet foods, then yes, sucrose is involved, but most likely in an environment that includes fat and flour. Most OPs aren't complaining that they are eating tablespoons of sugar out of the bowl.

I agree with your understanding of what such an OP would be saying, but that's why it's illogical and, frankly, just not true to blame it on an "addiction to sugar." That's why people point out that obviously that's not the issue.

Why don't people just say what they mean?

Because they don't know what they are talking about. That's why they are overweight and on MFP looking for help.

Why do you assume that overweight people are ignorant?

No one assumes they are ignorant, but if you have never researched nutrition, most likely you are listening to the media hype and what not. Since most of that is quackery, of course people will come here "ignorant". They don't know they are ignorant because they know nothing more than what they see on TV and in magazines. They have to start learning somehow.

^^This-education

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I love how you ask what the problem is and then quality if with that you will not accept lack of will power as an answer..

sorry to break it to you but the answer is that people binge and over eat due to a lack of will power, period.

will·pow·er[ wíl pòwr ]
    determination and self-discipline: a combination of determination and self-discipline that enables somebody to do something despite the difficulties involved

How do I practice determination when I am already determined to not binge but then I do binge? How do I practice self-discipline when I am on my knees crying and telling myself not to eat that cookie as my hand is reaching for it?

A dictionary definition isn't a plan of action. What's the plan of action? Where do I get willpower from?

IMO, it's like any other skill you want to develop. Maybe the missing link is patience...

Well, you must have figured it out, all it takes is willpower! All the obesity researchers who have found over and over that relying on willpower alone simply does not work for most people are just completely clueless. Next time I work with a binge eating client I'll be sure to tell them to just not binge.

Sorry to not contribute wisely to this conversation, but seriously you are wrong on this. Willpower of course plays a role and can be strengthened, but there is so much more to the picture of weight loss and binge eating.

Do not think I have it all figured out and by no means do I think willpower is the only factor. Sorry if that offended you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Someone says "I'm addicted to sugar" and you immediately jump to fructose and point out how no one has an apple addiction.

That's a ridiculous jump in logic. The much more reasonable jump is that when OP says he or she is addicted to sugar, he or she is strugging with really tasty foods like Oreos or pasta and cream sauce. If the OP's struggle is with sweet foods, then yes, sucrose is involved, but most likely in an environment that includes fat and flour. Most OPs aren't complaining that they are eating tablespoons of sugar out of the bowl.

I agree with your understanding of what such an OP would be saying, but that's why it's illogical and, frankly, just not true to blame it on an "addiction to sugar." That's why people point out that obviously that's not the issue.

Because they don't know what they are talking about. That's why they are overweight and on MFP looking for help.

No one assumes they are ignorant, but if you have never researched nutrition, most likely you are listening to the media hype and what not. Since most of that is quackery, of course people will come here "ignorant". They don't know they are ignorant because they know nothing more than what they see on TV and in magazines. They have to start learning somehow.

I'm talking about Deirdre's specific claim that linked them being overweight to not knowing what they are talking about.

I don't think most people are overweight because they lack knowledge. (They might also lack knowledge, of course, but the "addicted to sugar" thing is an irritating failure of common sense.)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

And that's just it. They need to learn. Yet when someone corrects them, that's apparently a horrible thing according to this thread. Rather than learn about food, just stop eating it, because why bother learn about something when you can just stay ignorant?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

will·pow·er[ wíl pòwr ]

I agree with you about determination and practice. Patience though is passive. What she needs is actionable strategies. You need to figure out what personally trips you up and how to circumvent that.

Some people can set themselves limits of macros and calories and do great. Others need a crutch. And that's where things like restriction of a food or low-carbing is useful. It's forced portion control, until they eliminate unhealthy food relationships and teach themselves to moderate. Some people just can't do it by themselves. It's not a weakness unless you let it ride and do nothing. If you pull yourself up and employ a strategy that works for you, and work the h*ll out of it, it's strength and smarts.

It isn't easy for some. But it's doable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so you have the will power to eliminate an entire food group but not the will power to moderate that same food group? that sounds legit...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I'd like a bit of that willpower too. Where do I get if from?

once you want it badly enough, it'll just......be there.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You do realize as I and Tigers pointed out sucrose is found in fruits? There is no excessive fixation on fructose. I do agree the issue is hyperpalatable foods, but as you already saw from one astute poster they laid blame totally on added sugars as what caused their binges

The OP has no point, as sugar has many uses then just a "quick energy fix", and many "sugar" laden foods are highly nutritious and packed with micros.

Yes, I do realize that you and Tigers have pointed out that sucrose is found in fruit.

I have no idea why the two of you are fixated on that point, but clearly you need closure, so here it is -- I saw that you wrote that and I believe you.

You are absolutely right -- many people are blaming added sugars in their food as what causes their binges.

Because in their perception, sugar does cause their binges. They eat a sweet food and before you know it, they are eating the entire house. They don't feel this way about lettuce, so it must be the sugar!

So what does cause their binges? Well who the hell knows -- we never get to the point of discussing that because we get caught up immediately in the fructose loop. heh heh fruit loops I made a joke right there!

The end result is that we get no where. The OP doesn't get help and the issue of binging isn't discussed in any complex or intelligent way.

The next time someone says they are addicted to sugar, just please don't start the tired old fructose subthread.

And don't just blame people for being lazy or weak-willed -- that's simplistic obstructionism. Human beings have a powerful built-in response to food -- it's called instinct! -- and for many people, that response is abnormal and needs some tweeking. For some people, the tweeking is as simple as understanding CICO, and for others, the tweeking needs to be medical intervention.

The captain has spoken.

/thread

i hear a fly buzzing….
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Alright, screw it. Let's do this.(

Deirdre,

I personally believe willpower is part of the equation, but also not going on food binges is making some important mindset changes. Shoot, I can share what worked for me to stop all the ridiculous binges I was doing.

The most important thing for me to learn was that no foods are good or bad. It's all just food and I have a million choices of what to eat. It is my choice to eat a small sliver of cake, or a bigger piece, or even a bigger piece, or even the whole damned pie. :) In fact, that choice is in effect with every food I come across. How much do I choose to eat? It's always up to me. And, even knowing I have the choice, I worked very hard to change the old messages about food being good or bad, and had to figure out why I was eating so much food. For me, an overload of sweet foods provided comfort. I had to learn to start talking to people instead of eating my problems away.

Secondly, there's portion control. What does 65 grams of my lactose free ice cream look like? What I learned is that it certainly does not look like the heap I was putting in my bowl two years ago. Shoot, since that's the case, I can even use a smaller bowl for my ice cream.

I also learned all about accountability. I take the bowl out of the cabinet, put the bowl on the scale, put a portion in (or sometimes a bit more or a bit less), put the ice cream away, and then I eat. I weigh all my food and log it all. I put the package away. I don't eat of packages, which is something I used to do.

Finally, I needed to learn to be patient, tolerant, and kind with myself. I don't need to deprive myself. I really can have just one cookie, maybe two, and don't need any more. I don't need to make things more complicated. Plan my meals, eat the foods I love, and take it from there. If I slip up, okay-it happens.

However, this is what worked for me and may not necessarily work for someone (or anyone) else. I am quite proud of the fact that I can now have any kind of food I love in the house and I don't eat it all up. I have cookies I bought a few weeks ago, ice cream, nuts, chips, and they no longer scream or try to jump out at me. They just stay in their places until I choose to have some.

Nobody does this weight loss journey perfectly. Forgive me for being so bold, and no offense intended, but from reading your posts I wonder if that's part of what's going on with you-it's all or nothing and you have to be perfect about it or everything goes to the wayside.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm talking about Deirdre's specific claim that linked them being overweight to not knowing what they are talking about.

I don't think most people are overweight because they lack knowledge. (They might also lack knowledge, of course, but the "addicted to sugar" thing is an irritating failure of common sense.)

I think a lot of people are overweight because they lack knowledge. I'm talking in general, not just about this thread or subject. When the whole world is telling you sugar is evil, eventually you believe it. I think that's where most people come here at right now because sugar is evil is the trend right now. I agree that people aren't addicted to sugar (That's the camp I'm in), but that doesn't keep me from understanding that other people might think they are).

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

will·pow·er[ wíl pòwr ]

Amen.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

And that's just it. They need to learn. Yet when someone corrects them, that's apparently a horrible thing according to this thread. Rather than learn about food, just stop eating it, because why bother learn about something when you can just stay ignorant?

I agree they need to learn. My post wasn't on one side or the other, just saying how I understand people coming here believing quackery.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

They may not be lazy or weak willed but certainly you could call them ignorant. If someone says they are addicted to sugar, they should know what sugar actually is, right? Again you're bringing up fructose when that never has anything to do with any of the "sugar addict" threads, why?
    I thought her reference to fructose made perfect sense. It has everything to do with every thread on limiting added sugars.

How? Point to one thread where anyone brought up fructose as a counter to someone claiming sugar addiction. They don't exist.

Every thread on sugar addiction eventually falls back to "if it's sugar, why don't you binge on apples".
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think a lot of people are overweight because they lack knowledge. I'm talking in general, not just about this thread or subject. When the whole world is telling you sugar is evil, eventually you believe it. I think that's where most people come here at right now because sugar is evil is the trend right now. I agree that people aren't addicted to sugar (That's the camp I'm in), but that doesn't keep me from understanding that other people might think they are).

sadly most people just want a scapegoat and then other people pray on them with books about no carbs after 6pm, sugar makes you fat, how to detox to jumpstart metabolism, bla bla ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who says everyone who eliminates, (or reduces) is ignorant? I don't consider myself ignorant. But perhaps you do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Tigers world explicitly referred to folks who eliminate foods as ignorant. Deidre did not.
This discussion has been closed.