Ladies.... do you exercise during your period?

Options

Replies

• sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find it helps with cramps, back aches and general lethargy. Also allows me to pound out some agro without injuring anyone who's pissed me off.
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I'm having mild cramps I'll exercise. If I'm having severe cramps exercise makes everything worse - worse pain, more fatigue, more hating everyone. So I take those days off as needed. I also can't really weight train during my heavy flow days because I use a diva cup and tensing up has unfortunate side effects, so I tend to do cardio.

But the endorphins do make things nicer on mild period days! yay endorphins!
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If I didn't, I'd never exercise (in my 10th continuous week with this particular one and it's always ridiculously heavy). Just make sure I take my iron to combat the inevitable anaemia that crops up from week 3/4 or so, double or treble up on padding if I'm going to be busy more than about 45 mins, and get on with it.
  • audsLDN
    audsLDN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes because I don't cramp but I'm absolutely ravenous! If I don't exercise I feel like deal when it ends.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Is this the thread for appreciating the joys of menopause? >:)

I get migraines that get in the way of my plans though, so there's that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes

and I feel so much better for it than if I didn't
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i do now because it makes me feel better. if i didnt and i sat around it would make me bloated and crappy. i never used to because they were heavy and when i did aerobics it would make it heavier but i have learnt to get through it. aerobics for an hour a day is a brilliant stress buster
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    IUD= no period. Heaven.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Always. My period is going to come every month for a many years to come (baring any unforeseen medical issues), so skipping a week of exercise b/c of something that comes monthly is not an option for me. It helps me stay not only fit, but happy, and helps with cramps. FOR ME it's not a valid excuse to skip a workout.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah...I can't quit my job (which is physical) for a week every month just because I'm not feeling good. So why stop working out/running?? I've found that it actually helps with it. I've noticed the times that I haven't been quite as active during my period, it was worse (or maybe just seemed like it).

Life is about learning to work through the pain. IMO.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period since I had a Mirena placed.

*skips off to go workout*
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I haven't had a period since I had a Mirena placed.

*skips off to go workout*

I'm totally jealous- I had my mirena put in sept 2013 and I still get mine ::Grumble:: Grant it, its gotten much lighter.

• she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    Depends on how heavy it is. For some reason during this week I feel more motivated to run and do my intense belly dancing workout.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I personally stick to running during my time of the month. I don't know why but it seems my period is lighter and lasts a shorter amount of days when I just run.
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah. It is just a regular week...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Indeed I do
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yep, makes no difference. I don't get cramps anyway, but I always feel better when I exercise.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I may not be as proficient as I am (ha!) when I'm not bleeding like a halal chicken, but I do it anyway.
  • angelchic128
    Options
    I am actually one of those weirdos that enjoys working out on my period. It helps battle the PMS symptoms and can be a great way to work off the extra frustrations that week. I work out first thing in the morning so it sets my day in the right path. If you're uncomfortable maybe just doing ten minutes of random booster exercises throughout the day.
    Weight loss can still happen though with slight modifications in calorie intake and random activity that can lead to calorie burning.