Eating fats within 3 hours either side of a workout.

Options
13»

Replies

• AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    I honestly love this debate lol! We can obviously go in circles with this, but I think we all agree that sans optimal training and overall nutrition, a focus on peri-workout nutrition is futile. My comment about lifestyle and comparing to elite athletes was to only serve as context. Does one need to be an elite athlete to be concerned with PWO nutrition and nutrient timing? Of course not. Does PWO nutrition and nutrient timing play a significant role in our (average athletes) quest for optimal strength/muscle/aesthetic/performance goals? I think we can all agree no. However, regardless of statistical significance, if one believes that they are to gain any type of edge from any activity, then that is indeed optimal for the individual.

Bottom line: what is optimal for you may not be optimal for me, and vice versa.

I agree wholeheartedly and I enjoy the debate too. I hope it highlights that there is no one size fits all and although the research does not prove the topic conclusively one way or another, at least those who have posted have their head in the game and are using research to attempt to optimize training given best available information rather than relying on something that 'somebody' was heard to have said (AKA bro science) the myth, not Lol Bro Science the person Lol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    AKDonF wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    I honestly love this debate lol! We can obviously go in circles with this, but I think we all agree that sans optimal training and overall nutrition, a focus on peri-workout nutrition is futile. My comment about lifestyle and comparing to elite athletes was to only serve as context. Does one need to be an elite athlete to be concerned with PWO nutrition and nutrient timing? Of course not. Does PWO nutrition and nutrient timing play a significant role in our (average athletes) quest for optimal strength/muscle/aesthetic/performance goals? I think we can all agree no. However, regardless of statistical significance, if one believes that they are to gain any type of edge from any activity, then that is indeed optimal for the individual.

Bottom line: what is optimal for you may not be optimal for me, and vice versa.

I agree wholeheartedly and I enjoy the debate too. I hope it highlights that there is no one size fits all and although the research does not prove the topic conclusively one way or another, at least those who have posted have their head in the game and are using research to attempt to optimize training given best available information rather than relying on something that 'somebody' was heard to have said (AKA bro science) the myth, not Lol Bro Science the person Lol.

That's why I really like this section. Unfortunately it seems like slowly the people that respond to threads with their emotions are slowly creeping in. We need to build a wall. Or a fence.

At least this is still one of the most calm sections of the general area. Groups are usually the most calm. I mean gelato and ice cream, what are you going to do there? Start a food fight? ;)
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    never heard anything like it

the closest I've heard is eating protein within 30 mins of strength training helps with muscle repair, supposedly
    that's what I do, I don't worry about intake of fats before or after working out....if you are spreading your "healthy" fats throughout your day you should be just fine. Spot on post

• bd208
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    How do you get that I'm disagreeing with you on having to have your bases covered for total daily nutrition, I never said anything remotely close to that. That's such an obvious prerequisite that I don't think it needs to be discussed in depth. I also never said that all protein synthesis occurs in the immediate post workout meal. But yes, I'd say nutrient timing is important for optimal results over the long term. If you're busting your *kitten* in the gym, why would you not dial in your diet for optimal results. I'm just stating what I and many others have found to be true in real life. To each his own I guess. Things you find to be true in your 30's may not be as applicable once you hit your 40's, then everything matters.
    Beautifully put from the guy with the muscles!

• bd208
    Options
    And we're in mutual agreement on having the major bases covered. I'm contending that once those are looked after, why not address the minors to reach optimal results? I'd rather base my efforts on the results of an elite athlete rather than a mediocre general population. And in referencing age, I meant that as you age smaller details take on greater effect. I think similar rules apply to younger lifters, but they can get away with ignoring the finer points because they have the benefit of youth on their side.
    Oh you were doing so well until you referred to the "general population' as being "mediocre"...I'm part of the general population and believe you me I'm anything but "mediocre"....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    bd208 wrote: »
    And we're in mutual agreement on having the major bases covered. I'm contending that once those are looked after, why not address the minors to reach optimal results? I'd rather base my efforts on the results of an elite athlete rather than a mediocre general population. And in referencing age, I meant that as you age smaller details take on greater effect. I think similar rules apply to younger lifters, but they can get away with ignoring the finer points because they have the benefit of youth on their side.
    Oh you were doing so well until you referred to the "general population' as being "mediocre"...I'm part of the general population and believe you me I'm anything but "mediocre"....

That's not what he meant. No need to bend what he said and take it personally.