The Evil Skinny Cow, and other "Light" Lies and Untruths

Oh, how happy all of us "dieters" were the day Skinny Cow candy bars became available! We can have chocolate! Peanut butter! Caramel! Gooey caramel and chocolate in one little bag! And not feel guilty! Yum! I have realized I cannot have them in my house. Why? They're a sensible treat, at only 110 calories (give or take depending the delicious flavor you finally decide upon). It is the completely sabotaging comfort of "SKINNY". Oh yes, you can have one. Enjoy one! Fondle it in it's pretty wrapper and delight in the first crunch. But I cannot stop at one. That is the same eating behavior that got me to 240 pounds in the first place. If one is good, two is better. Hell, three is 3x better! And guess what, it is guilt free because it is SKINNY!

Don't get me wrong, 110 calories is a lot better than the 245 or 300 or 500 of a regular candy bar or chocolate fix. But I get so wrapped up in "ALLOWED" because they're lower in calories, they are no longer on the forbidden list. I need my forbidden list. It keeps me safe, and hopefully thinner.

And "light" products are doing the same damage. Light chips - heck yes! I'll have more please. In reality, I would never even think a chip is ok while I'm working so hard, but hey, they're LIGHT! Safe, OK, Allowed, please indulge. Don’t even get me started on the sodium "Light" yogurt is the worst offender, in my opinion. Yummy, creamy, dessert flavored yogurt - healthy! Sweet and almost like pudding! And yogurt is healthy right? Oh not so fast...

Many have HFCS, which for me, makes me crave more sugar. I think nothing of snarfing down a carton of yogurt as a "healthy" snack, because it is "light", "healthy" and yummy. In reality I just ate a bunch of ingredients I can't pronounce, and I'm not really satisfied. In fact, if there is aspartame in it, I’m probably going to crave more sugar in about 8 minutes. There I am, sabotaged by “light”.

Yes, I admit I have eating issues (most of us do or we wouldn't be in this battle) and I have a hard time saying no. But it is a whole lot easier to say no when it isn't available, and no matter the "light" label, if it looks like a (chocolate) duck and quacks like a (chocolate) duck, it's a chocolate duck.

So I'm cleaning out my cupboards and fridge, at least for now. Out go the "light" chips, granola bars, cookies and yes, the Skinny Cows. Into the trash with the "light" yogurt and mayonnaise and salad dressing. If it isn't naturally low in fat, sugar and calories, I'm not interested. At least for now.

Apples, baby carrots, whole wheat crackers with fewer than 25 ingredients that look like a piece of the periodic table. Salad dressing made from olive oil and vinegar. Beautiful berries and oranges when I'm really craving something sweet.

Because I personally cannot be trusted. And I'm not going to buy into anything "Skinny" unless is a new pair of skinny jeans that finally fit.

Replies

• annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Insightful and well written!
    I so agree.... I am vegan and just because something is vegan and low fat does not always make it ok...whole foods are best and you can't beat fruit and veggies for snacks! :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    I don't have a "forbidden list"....Not while losing 60lbs and not now.....
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Did someone say Skinny cow??

Brb heading over to the freezer.
    As you will see in my diary I have an Ice cream sandwich almost every single night.

Edit: Good thing I'm not on a diet.

Yup, im the same way. I have chocolate something each day. As soon as I say something is off limits, ots the thing I crave and will binge on. Sadley, it doesn't work that way with veggies ;)
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    I am the same way. I bought skinny cow ice cream sandwiches ONCE. And never again. Because I ate them all in one night. Sigh.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Yep, stick with the real stuff :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If a forbidden list helps you stick to you goals, then have a forbidden list. I forbid anyone but me to bring Cheetos into my house. I have no control over them, so if they are there it has to be becasue I planned for it.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    I'd rather have half a serving of ice cream or a small piece of gourmet chocolate made with real ingredients than whatever chemicals they put in the fake stuff. Even though you get more of the fake stuff, I find I'm MORE satisfied with LESS of the real stuff. The fake stuff just leaves me wanting more.
  • LadyWolf66
    LadyWolf66 Posts: 24 Member
    I'd rather have half a serving of ice cream or a small piece of gourmet chocolate made with real ingredients than whatever chemicals they put in the fake stuff. Even though you get more of the fake stuff, I find I'm MORE satisfied with LESS of the real stuff. The fake stuff just leaves me wanting more.

^^This is my thinking as well. :-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    It's just the diarrhea that is the dieting industry. The force is strong within that industry, and the individual doesn't stand a very good change of escape.......glad you made it. :wink:
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Psych wise I think less calories= I can eat more

As for yogurt I like Kroger yogurt carb master Its low in sugar. like a third of the carbs
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member

^^This is my thinking as well. :-)

Me three!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I don't know what is wrong with me that stuff just doesn't appeal to me any more. My youngest daughter comments on my will power. I don't have a lick of will power. It doesn't take will power to turn down something that looks gross to me. However, if I was faced with a bowl of well seasoned air popped popcorn, we would see about my will power. I do have dark chocolate every once in a while though.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    I get what you're picking up, OP. There are certain things I absolutely can't have in the house or I have NO self control, chips and cookies being two of them.

However, I still don't completely push them out of my diet. I'll buy healthier ones and 'hide' them. I look in my cupboards every day, but I almost never look in my closet. Out of sight, out of mind. I'm working on it very slowly. :)

Good luck! You can do it.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    So who's fault is it for YOUR lack of restrain? Skinny Cow's? Sounds legit.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    I experienced something similar when Pretzel M&M's came out.....
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member

Have a real iced cream sandwich. They are basically the same nutrition as the Skinny Cow ones - it varies by brand a bit - but always within 10-20 calories. But cheap - like $4 for 12.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    i only buy the mint sandwiches during shark week,i need them then!! lol
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I do much better with "normal" fattening foods, too. I know it is bad, therefore I self moderate much better.
  • jentxyz
    jentxyz Posts: 14
    I think there's always a better replacement.. I still get my chocolate and sweets, but I just customize the ingredients with something reasonably healthy... just to at least treat myself, but of course not going over board.