The Evil Skinny Cow, and other "Light" Lies and Untruths

Replies

• DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    I love the Weight Watchers and Skinny Cow ice creams. They are preportioned so I can just grab and go and fit my calorie goals very nicely.

Sounds like you have issues with self control.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    I like skinny cow but I have one every few months and they don't spike my blood sugars.
  • mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    I have a few foods that I can't keep in the house because of this. Chips is one, and corn bread. I love that stuff WAY too much. The others I can control myself with, that's what I'm learning. Steer clear of your trigger foods but don't deprive. That's the only way I'll stick with it.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    We are all different and we must all find what works for us individually. If I say I "can't" have something, I'm bound to get myself into more trouble than allowing myself to enjoy "treats" every now and again. And yes, a Skinny Cow treat is by far a better option when I'm counting calories. Portion control for me is something that is individually packaged...and I refrain from going back for more.

Good luck to everyone...success can happen -- don't give up and find what works for YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Those horrible Skinny Cow *kitten*. Making lower calorie portions that you can enjoy if you're willing to use any self control at all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    You sound like no fun. I'll continue to enjoy my ONE skinny cow as a dessert every night that upholds my sanity while cutting. :P

Haters gonna hate!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Anyone who doesn't realize that "Light" foods are bolstered by adding sugars of various sorts and aren't satisfying has not paying attention or has been in denial. This has been discussed practically ever since low-fat foods were introduced, about 20 years ago.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    I have no 'forbidden' list. I couldn't go the next 40-50 years (hopefully) saying, "I can't eat that". If I like it, I eat it.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    BTW - the Unreal candies are THE BEST!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    I'd rather have half a serving of ice cream or a small piece of gourmet chocolate made with real ingredients than whatever chemicals they put in the fake stuff. Even though you get more of the fake stuff, I find I'm MORE satisfied with LESS of the real stuff. The fake stuff just leaves me wanting more.

Ditto
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    I experienced something similar when Pretzel M&M's came out.....

Me too! I love those things! I would get the big bag so I would have some to 'snack' on over weeks...Yeah it was gone in a weekend :/ Then I tried getting a smaller bag...And it was gone in 2 days! So I just don't buy them anymore (even though they are AMAZING) because I just can't trust myself not to shovel the whole bag into my face in one sitting :/
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Sugar is your best friend when you are fit, and your worst enemy when you fat. I eat 400 grams a day. Correct that, I need 400g a day to just maintain my bodyweight.

the Sugar is Evil argument quickly falls apart when you see Michael Phelps down about 14,000 calories, of which about 50% is processed carb. That's roughly 1750 grams of sugar per day.

Sugar is your worst enemy when you sit on sugar. It's your best friend when you put it to work.

Food for thought.
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    I see a lot of myself in your post. I call myself a food addict because I overeat and when a "treat" is in my house I literally cannot stop thinking about it until its all gone. Cookies, candies, Baked Cheetos--I'm salivating now--cannot sit on my shelves. About 7 weeks ago I decided to instead focus on my health rather than weight loss. This meant omitting unnatural things from my life. That is almost anything in a package and anything that claims to lighten any food. "Light" items have a lot of weird chemicals and they take away your bodies ability to be rational and know when to stop.

I decided focusing on my health meant eating natural only as humans have done exclusively until the last 100 years. At first, I was very strict to omit high fats of any kind at first and just stuck to grains, fruits and veggies. After a couple of weeks I gradually incorporated full fat items in moderations. What I have found is that, with the help of food journaling and blogging, my body and my head are communicating more efficiently. I have less of a tendency to overeat and I've even noticed that I don't snap out of anger when I might not be able to have a meal for a long stretch (traveling for graduations in the hot sun).

Its not perfect but I maintain that this is about health first and not weight loss or diet first which keeps me from overreacting when I eat a piece of cake on my birthday or the scale isn't dropping as fast as I want. Besides the mental benefits I am down over 16 lbs in 7 weeks.

This might not be for you but the lack of self control issue for me has made me "diet" and gain and lose in a 70lbs range for the last 6 years. Focusing on health first helps keep everything in perspective.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    LOVE Skinny Cow Dreamy Clusters. And I love that they're in the little 110 calorie packs. I pack one in my lunch for work every day. But I've created this mentality that they're for work, so I don't eat them at home. Not one (because, yeah, I'd eat the whole box).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Having a banned or forbidden list is doing yourself a disservice. The moment I say something is banned I crave it.

Totally 100% disagree with this ^^

While I'm sure forbidden lists don't work for everyone, they absolutely do work for some of us. Recognizing your weaknesses or 'trigger foods' or whatever label you prefer works perfectly for me. If I crave it and it's not there, I won't eat it.
  • fwinnower
    fwinnower Posts: 6 Member
    The Skinny Cow candies, by the way, are "real" candies, in that they have basically the same ingredients as the non-gourmet candies you'll find in the shop. No artificial sweeteners. They are "skinny" only because they are small portions. I find the clusters really satisfying to my sweet tooth -- 99 times out of 100, I don't need anything else sweet after one 110 calorie bag.

I'm fairly sure the same "real food" thing doesn't go for the ice cream products. I used to eat them, and like them. We have a number of really excellent ice cream places near us now, though, and I'd rather get a kid's portion (I make sure to tell them that, yes, I really do only want ONE scoop) of real, excellent ice cream once a week or so than have the skinny cow sandwiches.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Skinny cow sandwiches? Another awesome sounding thing us Brits are not worthy of yet. :laugh:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    I agree with you. I am that way about salad dressing. I just cannot do the low-fat versions because of the taste. So, i use the regular one and make sure that I measure out how much I am putting on my salad. The biggest goal, for me anyway, is to create a way of eating that is healthier than what I was doing, that fits my lifestyle, and is something that I can actually live with for the next 60 years (if I am lucky enough to live to 100). If you ban something that you really love you will not make it long term. I love chocolate so I eat chocolate. I like skinny cow products. I have a box in my desk right now. Yes, there are nights I give into my cumplusive eating. I have to own that and get up and walk over to my bike and work that off. That upsets me because it takes away from other things that I need to get done at night. Its a learning experience.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Did someone say Skinny cow??

Brb heading over to the freezer.
    As you will see in my diary I have an Ice cream sandwich almost every single night.

Edit: Good thing I'm not on a diet.

Ditto, Love Skinny Cow
  • dang, girl, ain't that the truth!! I never buy a box of anything, because I know I'll eat it all in one sitting. In fact, lately I've taken to buying a 3 musketeers if I *really* need chocolate--I freeze it, so it takes longer to eat, and I incorporate the calories into my daily calorie budget. I'm using the Body Media Fit device, which is great, because you can eat whatever you want, but you have a calorie "budget" for the day. Yesterday I bought 2 subway cookies and then later I was like, "holy crap, they're 220 calories EACH????" so, next time, just one cookie, if I really need a friggin' cookie. But yeah, man, beating those cravings is the toughest part of this gig. I'd say, never keep junk food at the house, and don't tell yourself "no"--if you need a cookie, have a cookie, but then eat less at your next meal and call it a wash. My 2 cents!!