The Evil Skinny Cow, and other "Light" Lies and Untruths

Options

Replies

• dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above on the "real" stuff. I'd rather have the full-fat, full-sugar version of any treat. The "diet" versions always leave me craving - and usually binging.

The exception is chips. Can't have them in the house. If I really want them, I'll buy the single-serving - ONE of them.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    Just tell your brother to hide the other 5 skinny cows and release them to you slowly
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I remember reading once: "When you hear the words 'low fat', think 'chemical **** storm'".

Diet foods are not good for you, for multiple reasons. One of the big ones is they do make you think they are 'safe' foods, and you end up over indulging because you know they are low in calories and you don't realize you are sabotaging yourself.

The second is, to make things low-calorie, they have to remove fat, but they have to replace it with something, and that something is sugar and chemicals. We all know by now that sugar is a bug culprit in weight gain, and manufacturers hide it under a list of hundreds of different names hoping we won't recognize it. Also, when you look at the ingredients of many of these things, you will find that several of the ingredients of the same item are all just different names for sugar. They do this as another way to trick you, because ingredients have to be listed in order of what there is the most of to what there is the least of. Because of this, they break up the sugar into different names, otherwise the first ingredient of many of these things would be sugar, and you would be less likely to buy it.

Also, check the serving size. By law, if something has less than 1 calorie, they can legally list it as 0 calories, even if a serving has 0.9 calories. That doesn't seem like much, but if something says 0 calories per serving and the serving size is tiny, you are actually eating calories without knowing it. Logically, the only thing that can have no calories is water, because everything else is made from something.

The most important thing to realize though, is the food industry is not your friend. They are trying to make money. Companies who make diet food don't do it because they want to help people lose weight, they do it because they know that almost everyone wants to lose weight, and that is a huge market to sell to, and the profit margin is huge. So they can sell you complete crap, that is bad for you, and loaded with chemicals, hidden sugar and false promises, and they don't care what it does to you in the long run, in terms of whether or not you gain weight, and whether or not you get sick from eating frankenfoods.

So, yeah, if you have a sweet tooth and you have a craving, you are better off indulging in a little bit of the real thing, than a whole lot of the fake stuff. And if you recognize something like diet food is a trigger for you (ie if it's in your house you will eat it till it's gone), then don't have it in your house, simple as that. You can't eat it if it's not there, so just don't buy it. Really, there is no good reason to buy it anyway. If people stop buying that **** and start buying real food, they will stop making it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Also, check the serving size. By law, if something has less than 1 calorie, they can legally list it as 0 calories, even if a serving has 0.9 calories. That doesn't seem like much, but if something says 0 calories per serving and the serving size is tiny, you are actually eating calories without knowing it. Logically, the only thing that can have no calories is water, because everything else is made from something.

Actually it's worse than that. If you can stomach the technical-ish reading, here's a link http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.60 but what it says is that if an item is less than 5 calories they can call it zero. That's how the brough-ha-ha over I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray got started. They were able to call it zero calories per spray so people were using 30 sprays at a time - and wondering where the extra calories were coming from. There's a lawsuit over that one now.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have half a serving of ice cream or a small piece of gourmet chocolate made with real ingredients than whatever chemicals they put in the fake stuff. Even though you get more of the fake stuff, I find I'm MORE satisfied with LESS of the real stuff. The fake stuff just leaves me wanting more.

^^This is my thinking as well. :-)

Here! Here!

if i like it enough to spend calories on it, i want to love it. flavor, fat, and all. no fake stuff for me. i'd rather eat less and enjoy more.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow... i love their ice creams. Skinny Cow works for me because ice cream is not my favorite dessert, but it does satisfy my sweet tooth without making me want more, so I have a skinny cow most nights and dont want anything else. It may not work for everyone but it does me. Without them I would be eating Oreos or something and then I would eat the whole box
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Actually it's worse than that. If you can stomach the technical-ish reading, here's a link http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.60 but what it says is that if an item is less than 5 calories they can call it zero. That's how the brough-ha-ha over I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray got started. They were able to call it zero calories per spray so people were using 30 sprays at a time - and wondering where the extra calories were coming from. There's a lawsuit over that one now.

LOL I had a huge discussion with my sister who uses I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray because it's "calorie free". I looked at the bottle and told her it can't be calories free if oil is the first ingredient listed, as she proceeded to pump 15-20 sprays onto her ear of corn. It was a truly bizarre conversation and she never did believe me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have half a serving of ice cream or a small piece of gourmet chocolate made with real ingredients than whatever chemicals they put in the fake stuff. Even though you get more of the fake stuff, I find I'm MORE satisfied with LESS of the real stuff. The fake stuff just leaves me wanting more.

^^This is my thinking as well. :-)

Here! Here!

if i like it enough to spend calories on it, i want to love it. flavor, fat, and all. no fake stuff for me. i'd rather eat less and enjoy more.

Meh, I eat the Skinny Cow and Weight Watcher ice cream treats because I like them better than full fat ice cream. I hate the phlegmy feeling from full fat cream. It's the same reason I don't drink milk.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Just whipped out my pack of gum- Trident White - "Calories: <5" The thing I hate about calories!

However, I only buy intoa few "low fat" "low cal" foods... I've switched a lot of my eating styles - potato chips -> pita chips, ice cream -> frozen yogurt, vegetable oil -> olive oil... I still indulge in the real things, sometimes, but I can control it! I do not try to say "oh this is only 50 calories, so I can have four more"... It doesn't work that way! If anything I feel guilty if I have more of the "low cal" because it means I completely removed the purpose of having that low cal food! Whats the point of buying it if you're going to eat the same amount of calories as the "real" stuff?
  • rubberbiscuit
    rubberbiscuit Posts: 128
    Options
    I love this post. Foods which the food industry have altered to fit whatever the latest food trend is have done so much to contribute to our society getting fat. Sadly, the FDA doesn't do much to protect us from the food industry. They allow too much leeway with their labeling (ex: items can be labeled as 0 transfat and actually have transfat in them). I've been trying really hard lately to eliminate most of the altered foods from my diet. It takes a little longer to prepare, but it's so much more satisfying. A benefit is I've discovered that I really like the taste of yogurt that doesn't have all the sugars and flavorings and whatever else added to it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Apples, baby carrots, whole wheat crackers with fewer than 25 ingredients that look like a piece of the periodic table.

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Did someone say Skinny cow??

Brb heading over to the freezer.
    As you will see in my diary I have an Ice cream sandwich almost every single night.

Edit: Good thing I'm not on a diet.

I agree with you!! I ate like 3/4 lbs of top sirloin steak yesterday with about a cup of guacamole yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm Eat! just work harder!:drinker:
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Did someone say Skinny cow??

Brb heading over to the freezer.
    As you will see in my diary I have an Ice cream sandwich almost every single night.

Edit: Good thing I'm not on a diet.
    I'm this way about my beer and wine!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    That whole thing is just one big marketing sham. If you are going to treat yourself, do it right.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    .... Make your own yogurt too, seems less harmful!

http://kitchensimplicity.com/easy-homemade-yogurt/
  • HaydnsMummy
    Options
    So who's fault is it for YOUR lack of restrain? Skinny Cow's? Sounds legit.

I was about to say exactly the same. The diet and light foods are there to help people trying to lose weight, have a bit of a treat. Just because they're low fat or low sugar etc.. doesn't mean you can eat the whole packet. I like a skinny cow frozen yogurt but it doesn't mean I eat double because it's 'allowed'.

Having a banned or forbidden list is doing yourself a disservice. The moment I say something is banned I crave it. I allow myself to have treats and don't beat myself up if I pig out a little. The key really is moderation. I'm only just starting out on my weightloss journey but I'm not in the habit of blaming other people for my emotional over eating and lets be honest, greediness, that has made me over weight.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Lindt Coconut Dark Chocolate <3 1 square is all I need. A bar lasts me a month xD
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So who's fault is it for YOUR lack of restrain? Skinny Cow's? Sounds legit.

I wholeheartedly accepted my weakness and fault. I'm not blaming Skinny Cow or other light foods. I just know myself, and know I can't have them. If others can, and have the restraint to eat reasonable quantities, I bow to that will power. I just don't possess it, and find the "light" claim gives me personally a free pass.. Not wrong or right, just me -- my own character flaw I'm admitting fully. Isn't this whole journey about discovering what works and what doesn't for each of us individually? Now I know this about ME, and have yet one more piece of knowledge to help me succeed.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I checked once: butterfinger minis are nutritionally superior to the Slimfast version. And cheaper.

Skinny Cow dream clusters, however, can only be compared to chocolate crack and even my skinny mini partner has trouble controlling serving size with that!