Can rocking make you lose weight...I have a hypothesis lol

Options
124»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    I got a pm the other day from someone on here asking why I don't exercise and if I can help her stop chewing her nails... Totally random :o

I got that one! It was so strange!

Lol did you reply?

• eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How old are your children? I would be more concerned with what effect them seeing their mother rocking on the couch for two hours has...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How old are your children? I would be more concerned with what effect them seeing their mother rocking on the couch for two hours has...

yes true. . If I walked in on someone doing that it would totally unnerve me...

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've found rocking out to be an excellent exercise, yeah...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=GKoozg5nS-k
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's emotionally healthy to self-soothe for a) that long at once and b) well into adulthood.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My Sons 2....Sorry im a stay at home Mom cant post a huge long post...What I meant was I was 120lbs my senior year of highschool. I never gained weight. Id eat whatever I want and wouldnt have a care in the world about it. I stopped rocking on the couch at the age of 18. Thats when I gained 25lbs. My heaviest was at 200 when I was pregnant with my Son. Im just wondering if the rocking on the couch counts as exercise. I do it to relieve stress sometimes. I did it today for 2 hours.

First, a lot of people gain weight in their late teens and early 20's. I don't think stopping rocking had as much to do with it as what you ate and getting older.

My dd rocks like that when she has pent up energy or is feeling stressed. It is a pretty energetic/violent rocking movement for her. It could be alarming to someone who wasn't used to it. If she does exercise regularly or sits on a big exercise ball instead of the couch she seems to rock less.
    I wouldn't count the rocking as exercise. I would try other more socially acceptable exercise outlets when you are feeling stressed out as well. Regular exercise is great for managing stress and it doesn't have to be a huge commitment. Try to get 30 minutes or so a day. If you are at home try walking around your house or yard, dancing, or do exercise videos. There are lots of free workout videos on You Tube.

Log what you eat and drink.

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay you lose weight from a caloric deficit. Rocking is irrelevant, unless you're scared.
    5h9pxkb2qwp9.gif
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Any activity will burn calories and rocking or some other kind if fidgeting will burn more calories than sitting still.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Any activity will burn calories and rocking or some other kind if fidgeting will burn more calories than sitting still.

Yes, but it would simply be part of you activity level (in other words, don't rock with your heart rate monitor on and count the calories :D), and it would not burn that much anyway.